OT...don't miss this PBS show.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

How interesting, melissa. would you say they compare to the Dutch? the Dutch are also a very friendly and gracious people. Most white South Africans are descendents from the dutch, but i do admit that not all South africans are so friendly. it depends on where you are in South africa.
yes, i am green with envy, but i am young so maybe one day yet i will meet you all. you guys have fun!
Isaac

The Dutch!! hahaha, My mother is of Dutch lineage, so I'm half Dutch, in the blood.

I decided to live on a Dutch island for a while, over the course of three years I spent fifteen months there, Bonaire, love the place! I love the people, too!

Do not get offended when I say that my impression of the Dutch in general is "grim". Yes, friendly, gracious, polite, very very subdued. Very quiet. Very nice. I learned to never try to joke with a Dutch, they would get angry!

I went to a beachie place for a dinnerburger, and there were about fifty people on one side of the round bar. I sat on the other side for my meal. I saw a couple of presents brightly wrapped. Oh! A birthday party! I wouldn't have guessed, everyone was so quiet. A bunch of Texans(or Virginians like me, for that matter) would have been guffawing and moving around and generally making 500% as much noise and movement.

Now, do not be offended, I enjoyed being in a Dutch society very much. You could often recognize Americans by their laughter. A busy cafe would be quiet except for that table over there. I have lived outside the USA most of my life, so I'm a stranger in a strange land when I visit the States.

Thailand has still, in my humble opinion, the sweetest people, society, on Earth. I was a complete stranger, and they were generous, kind and helpful when I had the slightest problem, just more so than other places I've been. Umm, Brazil, Scotland, Polynesia, Mexico, Spain, the Caribbean, Australia, umm, where else have I been? That's most of it, I'm worn out and staying home now-a-days!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Same here- although my Dutch experience seems to be much better.
I've been to Liberia, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone (or whatever they call it now) The Gambia, Sennegal, England, Holland, Italy, Germany, France, Australia, New Zealand, Kuwait, Japan, Thailand, Mexico and Central America- and Thailand was truly the land of Hospitality.

Perhaps one must visit Thailand to experience the people and the place. I would have never been able to envision the culture.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

no worries, molamola. i'm not offended at all. yes, i do agree, Americans are generally more loud than Dutch or South Africans. i don't mean to offend the americans here, but generally South Africans are not soooo fond of Americans. they say they are way too gigglish and loud!! but then again, it all depends on where you are in SA. generally, the white South Africans are very hospitable, friendly, and helpful, especially in the smaller communities. one thing that is essential to the South African culture, is our braais (barbacues). its the no. 1 in our culture! usually families will have one at least each weekend with friends over. those who drink sometimes reeeaaally get a bit jolly! we don't drink alcohol, though most south africans are very fond of their beers.
oh, yes, south africans don't have much of a sense of humor either!
Isaac

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, I'll admit using the cover story of "I'm Canadian" or "West African" on some of my travels around the world because of that stigma. ...but it's definately a label that some of the quieter Americans have to live with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.