OT...don't miss this PBS show.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

THE BOTANY OF DESIRE - GREAT BOOK BY MICHAEL POLLAN

The Botany of Desire

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 05:00:00PM
Station: KQED/Channel 9
Feed Common Name: KQED-HD
Channel Number: 9.1

Can't watch at this time? Check local listings to see when your PBS station airs the next episode of "" in the next two weeks at http://www.pbs.org/whatson/

Xai Xai, Mozambique

unfortunately our internet is too slow to watch this, though i would have loved to! i am sure the other members will be watching!
Isaac

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I saw that in the chronicle today as well. from the quick look over, I think I might agree with what he's saying

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Just remember though, his theories would encompass all of it, including the invasive plants that introduced by humans...mmm hmmmm

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

No...he just talks about 4 plants and how they represent 4 human desires and how they have impacted the history of the world. Just watch it!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It was very interesting. I was having similar discussion last weekend about how we humans seem to take ourselves out of the equation of nature, and said, our introduction of different plants including "invasive" species is part of nature. Having said that, awareness is as well.

One point I agreed with ultimately, was what one of the Canibas growers said: The plants know when the person who cared for them was gone (even though nothing in the care had changed)
My plants know when I'm gone..!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I am convinced my hoyas know when I am not there...I come back and they seem to be pouting...lacking lustre.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think too often we remove ourselves from the fact that we are being manipulated by nature to it's ends.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

ARE there ends? Is there a large plan...or...is everything just evolving along with and without the manipulation of our own surroundings ? Everything working in concert (most of the time..and when it isn't, is it because we are manipulating not for the main/collective good) until it doesn't. Then bad things happen like bank closures and Little Red Fire Ants. OK...back to the drawing board....

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Tuning in this evening - thanks for the heads up!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I won't get into the philosophy - you all are getting too esoteric for me. LOL

BUT, the photography alone was worth it. Fabulous!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The question is, bad things for whom? Once again it boils down to how we categorize, interpret, manipulate.
What I'm saying is evolving along with and without the manipulation of our own surroundings, and Everything working in concert, is one and the same. When we remove ourselves from the intricate workings of nature, then we put ourselves in God status, and Nature is quick to remind us...nope, we're not even close.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

things in our planet aren't really evolving, things seem more to be degrading.
Isaac

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Does 'evolve' necessary mean 'for the better' ...or simply 'changing'...?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

that's the ambiguity of it.
isn't changing a type of evolution? good, bad, changing, evolving- we are in it despite how it's perceived.
Definition:
to come forth gradually into being; develop; undergo evolution: example " The whole conversation evolved from Randy playing the Devils Advocate."

Issac, it's easy to say that when we have all this communication to bring us crap from every corner of the earth, but there are equally fascinating things occuring that just don't make good headlines, and therefore we are under exposed to the good side.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I agree Randy!!!. Too much information too little content!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

we'll continue this conversation in Kwajalein :) lol

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

YAY!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm bidding for vacation now...any periods of time that aren't good for you from Jan - Jun?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

All good....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ok

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I wrote that SO quickly Randy...not realizing what we were talking about!!! WOW! Have you talked to Shari about the best time to visit there??? I am at your wishes...it is ALL good/wonderful for me!!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

you guys have a good time, i hope to meet some of you one day...
isaac

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, a while back- They are headed mainland side I think sometime early winter/spring..have to re-check the dates.
Then she has to get us special permission to even stay there as it is military..so much to work out still.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Ohhhhh!!!! I am SO looking forward to this conversation while watching a moonrise over the ocean with a tall drink in hand, and you two by my side!!!!

What may seem degradation to some, could be perceived by others as progress. What seems like "our" manipulation of the environment, may actually be Gaia having us do so...tiz a puzzlement that promises hours of contemplative mental research...

SHOULD BE FUN!!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I am so so so excited!!!!

eh, Randy...when are we going?

eh, Shari...are you sure you are ready????/

Carol

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Carol, I will have just spent a month or more visiting with family and having a new granddaughter...I will be MORE than ready!!!!!

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have the last week of May, and the first week of June...sometime in there. Thought I would stay with you a couple days first Carol.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Sounds wonderful to me...when I get back I will work on reservations....!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Reservations? for inter Island?
Since I'm going on standby pass, thought I would take you on one too....it's not free, but substantially less expensive..and you ride at my seniority. But it's up to you, I'm not sure how the island hopper runs as far as being full all the time or not. I have to check on it, but I'm thinking the island hopper goes from HNL, if not then GUM..that would be challenging if it's only from GUM as those flights HNL-GUM are full most of the time. I'll check it out today.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Okay..yes the island hopper does leave from HNL. Right now it is only 3 days a week,
Mon, Wed, Fri -- We are lucky as there is only one stop on the way to KWA...in Majuro.
I know you know we call it the island hopper for it's route Honolulu-Majuro-Kwajalein-Korsae-Pohnpei-Truk-Guam. (airport names)
Right now the sked is 655A arriving 1150AM...it is still 6:55 min total time. I'm already tired!
I'm assuming the schedule will be adjusted by then, either adding or decreasing flights and times...but that's what's in there right now.
As I said I have the last week of May and the first week of June. I'm not sure how full these flights go out, but imagine that may be kind of full- I just checked the price just for kicks....$1255.00 round trip...

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Randy...sounds really really cool!!! Sheri should know about peak flying times... We are oing to have SOOOOOOOoooooooo much fun!!!

Let's move to Dmail before the green of envy shines thru the computer!!!

XXOO Carol

Envy envy envy, I've wanted to visit Kwaj for more than twenty years now---

But I'm loading myself with so much that needs me every day, plants and fish and chickens.

Post a travelogue once you do it!

Melissa --stuck on St Croix.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I would love to hear about your travel plans too! I also hope to see lots of pics after you guys get back.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OK...

Melissa...poor dear...stuck on St. Croix!!! I am excited about the possibility....there is SOOOOOOOOooooooooo much to do and see in this life before I check out!!!................

Randy...will call you when I get home...please email me your phone number....gotta chat with you, hear your lovely voice!!!

Actually I am amazed that I haven't moved to Thailand.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, I love Thailand too! I never felt like a foreigner there, and thought I could live there happily.

When I got back home to St Croix, I was smiling at everyone for a couple of days, until I got too many "Are you crazy?" looks in return. It seemed so grim here for a while, until I got re-accustomed.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Why are the folks in St.Croix glum?

In comparison to Thailand, "The Land of a Thousand Smiles, ANYPLACE is glum. You just cannot imagine the culture there, so gentle, and each person must smile hundreds of times every day.

They are shocked at how we Americans and Westerners display all our emotions, especially the negative ones, so freely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.