Orange Going Black on Tree

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have these orange trees and one bunch is turning dark on the tree, the rest seem healthy orange and the leaves don't look bad either. Any ideas why this is happening and whether I need to do anything about it?

Thumbnail by Ladyborg
New Iberia, LA

Looks like citrus rust mite damage. If the affected fruit are on the shaded side away from direct sunlight then it is almost certain to be their work.
Oldude

New Iberia, LA

Ops forgot the cure!
After the harvest spray with lime sulphur and again in early spring before the blossoms. After spraying sulphur, you must wait 4 weeks before spraying any oil. The lime sulphur spray helps with other mites as well.
The only other thing it could be is melanose but since you see no damage to the limbs or leaves, I doubt that melanose is the problem. Melanose usually occurs in older trees with dead limbs that have not been removed.
Oldude

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks! Will it be obvious if it's rust mite damage if I open the fruit? It is actually in full sun all day. Does that rule out the rust mite?

New Iberia, LA

You probably will not notice any difference in the taste of the fruit but it’s the tree that feels the damage. Mites are not easily seen but will turn the citrus leaf dull after a while. Mites like the bottom side of leaves and periods of warm, humid weather with frequent, light showers. They should not be looked upon as an occasional problem but a problem that most citrus have and has to be sprayed to be controlled.
Try rubbing the bottom of a few leaves with a white tissue and see if it turns brown.
Oldude

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I performed the leaf-rubbing test and there was no color change.

I noticed while picked that leaf that the limb in question is touching a rosebush (you can see it in the pic). Any idea if that could be the cause?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.