Fall foliage

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I haven't seen one of these threads on here just for fall colors..so here ya go....

LOVE the color on this hydrangea

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ornamental cherry just starting to change from the bottom up

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The only hosta changing so far

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Small leaf rhody

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

These shrubs are right in front of my front steps(they are coming out eventually) still trying to find an id for them, I think some kind of burning bush relative.
So weird that one is redder than the other one.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Jen, Great thread and nice translation from blooms that we are so use to seeing.
I love the promise of spring on your Small leaf rhody picture.

On the burning bush picture what do the stems look like? Do the stems have brown "wings" running along the stem?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's a close up of the berries, can you tell from this pic?

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Stems look smooth to me, so I have no guess. May want to post that last picture in an ID forum.
I have a burning bush will have to take pictures maybe tomarrow if it is not raining.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Went the id route before everyone is like "oh it's looks familiar but I can't quite place it"

I have no idea why they put 2 in the front of the house, there is one at the house around the corner from me and it's about 10' high and wide.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

flowerjen----

I don't have much to photograph in my garden--but I took my camera to work with me today and took some pictures of some beautiful Fall colors there......In the garden Dept--of course! Hope this "qualifies"......:o)

There IS one place, about 10 minutes from my house. that I want to photograph......Just never have my camera with me when I drive down this road. Will keep it in my purse from now on.....

OK! This is a nice display of Mums and cabbages just outside the Garden gate. Ooops--looks like someone bought one of the cabbages.....There's a hole in the disolay!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Using my el-Cheapo camera......the Polaroid one---it does not pick up much depth in the colors--but it is small and fits in my purse.
My older "Kodak Easy Share" is better--but it is the size of a regular 35mm camera. Maybe i will give myself a nice X-mas present!

Here is 2 tables of Mums in Outside Garden.....ALL fully in bloom by now. Just as colorful as can be----BUT---I will give "Bell Nursery" another week--and they will all go down the chute.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Took some close-ups of the Ornamental Cabbages.....
I have never seen a pink one before! Must be new?????

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's another one--a bit different....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just imagine all these a tad more intense in color.....
This camera tends to "fade" things out.....

And--another one....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't they, almost, look like Roses?????

Here's a ferny-looking one.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is a white one......Tightly curled.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And--lastly--in the Greenhouse, I spied this wonderful Alocasia "African Mask" plant....
I LOVE the leaves on this one--used to have one years and years ago.....They are NOT the easiest to grow!

I DO love to take walks in the garden after I have had my lunch!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I could never get into the ornamental cabbage don't like the smell when they are dying back.

That African mask plant is AWESOME!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Gita, I've got that Alocasia and you're right, they're not easy! I've been able to keep mine going for three years but it always looks sad during the summer.

Took a few pictures of fall foliage yesterday, nothing special but I did think this Euphorbia border looked nice :)

Thumbnail by rcn48

Jen you are so right about the OC. I grew some from seed one time and had them planted by the front door. They looked nice added a lot of color, the first warm spring day I opened the door to get the mail, Phew!!! Good way to discourage visitors. LOL

Deb, I like that grouping of Euphorbia, nice how they just bump into each other.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2009 8:10 AM

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

These are the few fall foliage pics I took this week. Good thing I grabbed them when I could because it took forever for the leaves to change and with the wind and rain the next day the leaves are falling fast!

Amsonia is always pretty in the fall even though it starts drooping.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A small, struggling Weeping Cornus kousa is showing pretty colors this fall.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Waited a long time for these Japanese Maples to change. The one in the background is outstanding this year, probably the brightest it's ever been!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Closer look at that one...

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Last one before all the leaves are gone. Looking up the driveway a bright Chinese Pistache tree and one more Japanese Maple.

Thumbnail by rcn48
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That JM is beautiful.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have been loving the foliage lately as I drive. Thanks Jen for starting this. Pretty pics, all.
One great native one is this sumac as he berries develop and change and then the foliage changes.
Today I walked the dog by a new development; there was a golden tree right smack in the middle of the woods. It turned out to be ;just; a sassafras But it glowed!

Thumbnail by sallyg
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pretty color.
What's the weather like down there today, Sally?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Great thread, Jen. Just look at all of these lovelies.

RCN, those Euphorbias look great! I only have a few Hosta turning so far. I also used to grow those cabbages, but I gave up on them because I didn't like seeing them still hanging around in the spring. Sounds silly! Add me to the ranks of the Alocasia killers. Had a beautiful one last year.

RCN, All of your shrubs and Maples look great. Sally, Love the color on that Sumac. Do you know which one it is?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I know I post a photo of this Lady in Red Hydrangea in every season, but I just find it to be an amazing shrub for 3 seasons. Look at these colors!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is a new Crepe Myrtle that I put in last year. It has red blooms, but it is a different variety than "Red Rocket" Have to find it's name. "Red Rocket's " fall foliage is more of a bronze color.

Thumbnail by stormyla
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, nice color on that hydrangea...please find the name of that Crape I'm looking for a red blooming one.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Stormy, maybe 'Dynamite'? I've got it planted but it struggles here. It had finally grown to about 5', was beautiful in bloom last year but last winter's brutal temps killed it back to the ground. It rebounded this summer but no blooms this year :( I envy your glorious foliage - mine's already crisp after the one night of 27 degrees!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, I'm glad you posted the pic of the sumac. I have been driving past some for the past week and wondered what it was. The colors are just glorius.

That is Shining Sumac, forms kind of a thicket and doesn't seem to get as tall as Staghorn Sumac. In spring and summer, its a very glossy deep green. Notice the 'winged' leafstalks to help ID.
Even poison ivy turns a pretty color. Maybe thats its only redeeming virtue.

Oh, Jen, it was sunny and pretty on Wednesday afternoon, but then went back to chilly and cloudy on Thursday and Friday here. I should have said I like 'warm damp', not chilly damp or hot damp (humid) (Damp is a funny word the more you look at it.)

This message was edited Oct 30, 2009 7:30 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I'm laughing at damp! LOL It's been warm & damp here, at least for those working up a sweat in their gardens. Every now and then I pull bird planted Sumacs out of my beds. Maybe next time, I'll let one grow. Yes, Poison Ivy has beautiful fall color, so does Virginia Creeper.

One of the girls on the PNW forum sent me a photo last night of her "Vine Maple". It had a glorious red color. I'd never heard of a "Vine Maple".

http://washingtonwildings.com/plants/acer_circinatum.html

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Damp??? How about water-logged????

The ground in my back yard just will not dry out! It seems to be perennial mud!
Maybe it is because the maple justabove all this has now dropped all her leaves and no longer absorbs the water--as it is, kind of, semi-dormant now.

Went out for a bit today--but I did not want o walk on my lawn too much. Solid wet!

BTW--We have Sumac trees at HD. Their foliage has turned a nice golden yellow.
What is the big deal with Sumacs? They remind me of those Weed Trees that grow our of concrete cracks in the City. What's their name???? Starts with an "A"...????

Ailanthus- yes very similar, I have to get a close look to tell Ailanthus from staghorn Sumac.

Yes VA creeper is gorgeous in fall color

I must say, my silver maples are so ugly in fall! wimpy pale leaves , sort of yellow, drying on the tree and falling. Such a junk tree. I have three of them.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The Black Walnut looks like them too. I have a few of those maples too. Just an all round nuisance.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The Arum's winter leaves are now fully up.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.