Marigolds for 2010 - Anyone?!

Norfolk, VA(Zone 8a)

I am very fond of the Boy o Boy series of dwarf marigolds. At least 7 different colors, huge blooms for a French marigold, and dozens of blooms per plant at any time. This mix is widely available, give it a try!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I think I did that one last year... what really astounded me was how well they "bushed" up and responded to deadheading.

~Daniel

9>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

10 (Flagstaff!)>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

11>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

12>

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Flagstaff!!! Yeah!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Danny you got my addie? Dmail me

Took this picture today of first blooms opening on a Calendula (Pot Marigold) named "Apricot Daisy". It's a Burpee seed pack bought at Lowes back in October.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That is really pretty--will have to check out Lowes soon:)

I work at a WalMart and we just put out our first display of seeds for the season. I believe they're Ferry-Morse. Hoping more come soon...I'll have to get out and about scouting Home Depot, Lowes and some of the local nurseries soon.

Good to hear the seeds are coming in up there. Lots of Ferry-Morse seeds down here, but generally at Lowes. For some reason the WalMart closest to where I live, didn't put out any seeds this winter. Their plant section is really scaled down this winter.

Jon

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Lousy economy....

The walmart where I live (Eastgate location, out of 4, lol) just put their seeds today!

BB, mailed you!

Calendulas are one of the nicest plants ever! What I really like is how they can bloom and bloom. Their name "Pot marigold" refers to their archaric use in pots, to color and flavor foods. I got 5 vars lined up for this year. I have nearly 50 different pix of it, choose this one to represent their kind! (this one was nearly 4 inches in diameter)>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

I had never grown Calendulas until this winter, but they're quickly moving up my favorites list. I was wondering why the name "Pot Marigold". I don't see a connection to a marigold. Calendula blooms are so soft textured in comparison. You're right...they seem to be excellent bloomers.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dan,

OMG! NOW THAT IS AN AWESOME GRAND PRIZE WINNER PHOTO IF I EVER DID SEE!

PERFECTION YELLOW... very hard to come by and the softness!

Jon, Im a thinking because tht plant was intended for pots, but then I might be wrong there!

Thanks, my friend, Blossom. That's the beautiful large blooms of Calendula "Candyman Yellow". One of the best seed grown flowers I've tried. It's also available in "Candyman Orange" and I would imagine that ones a keeper also. I have a few Calendulas growing/blooming in pots also they are very very nice.

YAY!! I just found ' Candyman Orange' in my seed stash!!!! Going to have to do some cataloging! LOL!

Here is another Calendula that was in bloom for nearly a month before frost.>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Nice one Daniel. Good to hear you're all set when it comes to trying "Candyman" Calendulas. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Just purchased these--hope they're as cute as the photo:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190278879119&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

The Walmart here didn't have any seeds out yet. Last year they had heirloom seeds for under $1 with some really interesting varieties. They hid that rack in the corner behind the Burpee's rack. Every once in a while, they have something interesting in the garden center. I got a David Austin own root rose there one Saturday. I happened to be there as they were unloading the trucks. This year had less selection and higher prices.

amorecuore, sorry about your tomatoes. I am going to plant as many veggies as possible this year. Prices for fruits and veggies are going to be very high because of cold weather in the south. I am not used to veggies costing as much per pound as meat.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Lettuce out here is outrageous right now.. price has doubled since last year and last year it doubled since the year before... I hope this is not a tread, but grow what you can of all veggies... grow to share too.

They look like nice marigolds dmac. Have bought seeds from that seller on E Bay many times. She has a very good selection of interesting things.

Luckily I didn't lose any tomatoes GardenQuilts. I wasn't growing any, but I'm sure they would be goners if I was growing them. Leaf lettuce is something I grow every winter and stagger the plantings so that it doesn't all mature at the same time. You definitely can save some money by growing your own veggies. Planted some "Silver Queen" Corn last week and noticed they've popped out of the ground over the weekend. Trying some quick maturing "Tango" Celery for the first time and it looks reasonably well considering its a cooler weather crop. LOL I think it actually liked to very cold weather of 2 weeks ago.

You're correct GardenQuilts. The selection of plants is WAY down this winter here in Florida. Much more difficult to find those rare/out of the ordinary plants. It's all about timing and being at the right place at the right time,

Jon

Here is another Glamourous Calendula (i luv macros)>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

GQ, congrats on finding a David Austen rose at a grocery store! Did it bloom first year? Or do you expect it to bloom this year?

Here is another, faded, calendula>

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Blossom, new thread? Pulling this page up took nearl 7 minutes.

~Daniel

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Last summer I grew a pack of T&M's "Marigold Boy-o-Boy". Sowed them in spring, in a milk jug outside, using basic wintersowing techniques, only done in spring.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The flip side- look at those roots.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

New thread sounds good:)

(Zone 6a)

Here I am about to go on about dollar store seeds again! So check out these cracker jacks I got from there! They were amazing blooming machines!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Some were double and some were single

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That last one (single) looks like one I want from Seed Saver's Exchange--I think--called Moonlight...looks pretty darned close if it isn't:lol: Very pretty!!

(Zone 6a)

I looked up the moonlight and it looks like that one is maybe a little paller in colour. Heres a pic of them growing with some verbena. They were really great together!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Norfolk, VA(Zone 8a)

Sugar and Spice mix anyone? Here's what I bought tonight, always wanted to grow one of those $10,000 white marigolds that Burpee had that long running contest to find.
Interestingly, Calendula seems to be the Spanish word for marigold.

Thumbnail by Karldan
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, new thread.. sorry Im slow... I got a traffic jam in my office! LOL!

Danny you truly are showing off good there! Dang those are gorgy!

SW, hand over those cracker jackers!

Back in a short!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

MOVING ON!! GO HERE!! NOW! RUN DONT WALK!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1071849/

MARIGOLDS FOR 2010 part 2!!!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Will be going there soon to show off MORE Calendulas (have nearly 6 MB worth of the pix;)

~Daniel

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I ordered a collection group from Veseys and one of the packages is Vanilla Marigold. Looks to be creamy white. Anyone grow those?

Maybe it's the same as "French Vanilla" offered through Burpee??? Haven't grown it, but all the reviews on Burpee's site are very good.

(Zone 6a)

I grew the Vanilla ones and they were very nice, I think I might have posted this already but heres my pic of the Vanillas growing with Marine Heliotrope in July.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

Hmm... SW, you seem to have much better Conditions/luck than I did... Maybe white Marigolds are not that bad?

~Daniel

(Zone 6a)

Remember I just saw them at the hardwear store and decided to try them. That pic was from July and I know I have one later in the season.........let me see if I can find it....

not the pic I was looking for but heres one mid-August

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.