stinkbugs on fruit trees

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I noticed today that I have many stinkbugs on my satsumas. Does anyone know what to use on the trees that will kill these bugs? I would normally use sevin on other ornamentals but am hesitant to use it on the fruit. Right now the fruit is edible.
Susie2

New Iberia, LA

Cypermethrin works fairly well if you use a spreader sticker. The problem with stink bugs is that they have a protective skin which protects them well from insecticides. The spreader sticker helps the Cypermethrin to penetrate faster.
If you are harvesting the fruit you might want to consider using one of the cordless vacuum cleaners to just suck them up and dispose of them that way.
It has been my experience that you just about have to spray the insecticide directly on the stink bugs to have any chance of success. If you decide to use insecticide, just make sure you allow the recommended time period before consuming the fruit.
Oldude

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the info. In the spring I have used the vacuum to clear them off my tomatoes but I have never had a problem in the fall until this year. I have found them on citrus, tomatoes, pecans as well on other flowering plants. This has been one of the worst infestations of these bugs, but I did use dishwashing liquid directly on the bugs and it seemed to knock them off and I haven't seen any since. Hopefully, they won't be as bad the rest of the fall.
Thanks again for the reply.

New Iberia, LA

Cool mornings like this morning (50 degrees) I put on a pair of latex gloves and just squish the hell out of them. 70-80 degree morning temps, they will move quickly to avoid you.
I hate the black spots that they cause in pecans and you would think that there would be so many other things that they would be interested in besides a green pecan.
My early Armstrong Satsuma’s are still tart but increasingly sweet. I avoid the temptation of picking the Owari’s until mid November when they start to peak through late December. Ponkans, my favorite peak in mid to late December.
The damage of a stink bug is a brown spot penetrating though the peal into the pulp. It’s a dead spot that may or may not affect the other portions of the fruit.
Oldude

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.