Show us your Japanese Maples!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice color tau!

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Tau, Yours is beautiful and airy looking. It appears to me that your neighbors tree needs some tidying up. Bless its heart, it's a little thick and has no shape. Just a little thinning, in my opinion. Laverne

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

How old is your neighbors tree?

Federal Way, WA

2vernes,

I have no idea, I never thought to ask her, but I will if I see her. The trunk caliper is at least double mine, and mine it 10 inches. When all the leaves are dropped I'll take another picture. Most likely she inherited it when she bought the place. My partner got transferred here from E. Wa Jan. 6 2004.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

"Another one unlabelled, it has not done much at all.
I saw one at Chelsea this year, but there was know one on the stand to ask!
Regards.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1" Oct 30 post

This one is either a Shishigashira or Ojishi and since Ojishi is pretty rare i would say the former .. Of course no 100% possitive ID is possible but that is a likely one Davidsan

Federal Way, WA

Laverne, the neighbors JM does need some TLC, I'll tell her to start by cutting off the dead branches, and the branches that cross over each other.

Danville, IN

Heck, she might even not want that JM! You should ask her if you could have it. It would be worth the effort to get it transplanted to your property.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

If the neighbor does the shaping, she might massacre the poor tree. Maybe you should volunteer to help her out. I hate to see such a magnificent tree be ruined. Keep us posted. Laverne

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's my Bloodgood

This message was edited Nov 14, 2009 8:50 AM

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Koto no ito

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sango Kaku

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Crimson Queen

Thumbnail by doss
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

very nice doss - the koto no ito looks fantastic! and i like the landscaping there too.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Beautiful color on your trees. Laverne

Federal Way, WA

Hoosier, well she is an elderly woman, so when she goes the lot goes pack to the park, so maybe I'll ask her if I can have it.

Laverne, Good idea, take care of it for her then maybe she'll leave it to me *G*

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Acer palmatum 'Ryusen'

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

VEry pretty dybbuk and I really enjoy the ruggedness of the fence contrasted with the mirror. Beautiful!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks doss. Had too many mirrors in the house. So out into the yard they went!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Really cool idea. Pretty tree, too!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here are a couple - Shigatatsu sawa

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

peaches and cream

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

orange dream

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

last one katsura

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

forgot something

Thumbnail by wha
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What wonderful trees wha. Makes me want more. I was looking at old photos yesterday and realized how much my trees have grown. That was fun!

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

This is my Bloodgood. It will be kept in a pot for a year or two and then planted in the back yard.

Thumbnail by LoveForests
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice form on that Bloodgood LoveForests. I'm sure that it will be a focal point in your garden.

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Bill, do you plant all your trees in the ground or "containerize" them? There are so many that I'd love to get but they are all rated only to zone 6a for the . You're only about 20-25 minutes south of me...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

most are in ground although i do have several in containers - we should not be to different - if you are looking at a specific tree dmail me - i have over 60 varities so i might already have it:) i also have many fav's that i have two of just because ...................

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Zones are a crap shoot .. there can be great variation from city to city and in some states zones are so crazy if you look at them you'd think you were on drugs ... Basically the zone 6 found on Daves and many other web sites is a CYA.. You could say they are safest there most times ... but as we found out three years ago those ion solid zone five had no damage from the great spring freeze and those in zone 6,7 and 8 were hammered . I'd say 75% of all dissectums were either severally damaged or destroyed in effected areas... folks in Chicago a solid zone 5a were untouched...Late budding cultivars and early springs can both be big problem makers... .. so basically zoning is mostly useless. The exception is far northen places like Minn. upper Wisc . upper New Hampshire Vermont and such places .. even around Cleveland and Michigan the areas with lake effect can grow Jms with ease... but there are areas near by that are just too cold . Most knowledgeable JM growers will say most Jms will grow in zone 5 at least 5b and likely 5a but not zone 4 (but whether your area is in said zones is another question) . Most retail nurseries and internet nurseries will stick with zone 6 to CYA... then when an event like the past one happens they have allot of explaining to do ... I remember what many said about that nightmare with folks wanting replacements for a natural disaster as far as JMs were concerned... Davidsan

Here is an image of my first ever Japanese Maple, Acer palmatum 'Chiba'. I love it and look forward to how it will change over the seasons. Thanks, Davidsan!

Joseph

Thumbnail by
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

nice tree joseph! and good choice to purchase it - i just received 5 trees yesterday with one more to come from davidsan and all look great! will have to post some pictures after they acclimate from the trip from springfield

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm pleased with this Green Cascade, new from Davidsan last year.

Thumbnail by granitegneiss

And this year, I'm trying Korean maple (Pseudosieboldianum) in the ground. This plant just arrived today from Davidsan, and looks good even right out of the box.

And this is the Aureum that I fell in love with. I know they are tricky, but it really speaks to me.

This green dissectum has no variety name. It was maintained as a "pre-bonsai" in a smallish pot. I really like the compact form.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

granite they look great! - i like the walkway in the background of the korean maple too! can never have to much granite!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.