pommegranites

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

I have about 30 pommegranites about 4" high in 2" trays that need to be transplanted. Zone 9. Would these be better off put in their own 4" or 6" pot & planted next spring, or would I be just as well off planting them on a raised row in the back yard right now? I heard they are a nightmare to train into trees... so if I left them bush out, what would be a good distance between each to leave walking room between to pick the fruit when they make? Soil/fert requirements?

Thanks...

Hester, LA(Zone 9a)

I remember reading the 3rd one before - 1st 2 didn't work. I'm glad to see it again. I read it first after my 2 paw paw trees were doing bad (they died) & didn't know about 1st couple years with shade. So, I guess I can just plant them on the row when I get time pretty soon. Now, need to figure how far apart...

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm sorry the first two links didn't work.
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/news_archive/2005/September/News+You+Can+Use/Pomegranate+Does+Well+In+Louisiana+Landscapes+Says+LSU+AgCenter+Horticulturist.htm

If this doesn't work try starting from scratch at this other site.
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/
Click on the green News bar. In the next window click on News Archive. Next click on 2005, then on the September sub-topic. Then click on "News You Can Use". On the next window go to the bottom of the page and click on "Click for more information" to go to the next page. The article is on that next page.

The following quote was found in the second link:

Quoting:
Pomegranates are found in old landscapes in Louisiana. They prefer cool winters and hot, dry summers. Soil moisture needs to be even. A sandy or silty soil is better than clay. Full sun is best. Shade is OK, but fruit production will be 25 percent to 50 percent less. Fruit ripens in the fall.

The most popular variety of pomegranates for Louisiana is Wonderful. This plant makes a 15-foot shrub. A few ornamental varieties of pomegranates have double flower forms.

The Arizona link tells you how large the trees or bushes get. Use that plus a few feet for an aisle between bushes and that should provide you with the number of feet to leave between each trunk.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.