Why would my VFT's be blooming in October!

Arlington, TX

Odd but think 2 of the plants in this pot have buds, or that is what they appear to be to me.
Cheryl

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
north coast nsw, Australia

Mine are bloomining now here in Australia..just starting to warm up.
I always cut my flowers off though, no point taking all the energy out of the pitchers when i'm not going to grow from the seed anyway.

Arlington, TX

LOL its fall here and getting colder by the day. I think they are confused myself. I will let one bloom to see what it looks like then cut off the others.
Cheryl

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Are they inside or outside?

Arlington, TX

outside

Hmmmm, they must be confused!

Ive read that letting them bloom kills them??? guess they depend on the seed to continue there life cycle.

If the plant is HEALTHY letting them bloom does NO harm. If what you heard was true there would be no VFTs in the wild! Right?!

Well they'd seed and grow more in the wild.

Arlington, TX

That would be true for a plant that was an annual but fly traps return each year which means they are perennials.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

The wild Venus Flytraps are healthy and can grow and seed. But since so many Flytraps in the US are grown in greenhouses or left to deteriorate in stores, before they are brought home, they are too unhealthy to flower and seed. I let all my healthy plants flower and seed, and my weak ones, I cut the flowers off.

My plants flower throughout the year, but Florida's weathe ris very confusing for the plants.

Arlington, TX

Do you have to refrigerate your plants?

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

No, I have too many plants, and not enough space, so they stay outside. The biggest problem my plants have is squirrels and lack of water in winter, so I have to make sure I water them lightly in winter. I pour cayenne on all my plants to keep the squirrels out. The plants survive my strange winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.