Apropos of Nothing v.3

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1041703/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

I should be at a birthday party this evening. Instead, I'm home sick with a headcold. Waaah.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry you're not feeling well. Take care of yourself.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous photos, Willow...we still have nothing but green. Chilly here, though.

Take care, Pony.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Ditto. Your maple tree is amazing!

Your elves are cute too, and I love the dragonfly.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 8:48 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

This will make you feel better, Pony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tcE4rWovI

(Judi)Portland, OR

I sat on the porch today and watched the rain - colors are popping out all over Portland.

Thumbnail by Portland1
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

BEAUTIFUL!! I love your porch and the front garden.

Love that porch, Judi. We have a covered porch, but it leaks so bad that it actually rains harder under the roof than it does out from under it. So annoying.

Katie... not a kid person, couldn't dig the video. But thanks anyway. ;)

Richmond B.C., Canada

OK OK... You got me on the procrastination bit. LOL
I have rubber garden shoes, but not muck boots. I broke my rt ankle (in 2 places, no less) about 3 yrs ago running up the stairs to an emergency delivery and walked on it for 6 mos before the xrays confirmed the breaks so it gives me problems sometimes when I try to stand. If my stance is not just right I wallow around on the ground til I find just the right way to lift myself. That is the long-winded reason I think muck boots might be a problem, less mobility.

Does anyone know what this horrible grassy looking stuff that breaks off at a sneeze in my front flower bed and then spreads like wildfire? Somebody told me it's horsetail but I call it the weed from hell. How do I get rid of it without agent orange and killing my desired perennials?

You are all right about the extended growing season here.........and the fall colors certainly rival those along the Mississippi.

Willow and Judi, I love your photos!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Yes, Willow and Judy, your photos are wonderful. One of the good things about our wet weather----the colors are so vibrant in that lighting.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

LFS - I have a pair of Muck boots (the above-ankle version) & they are incredibly comfortable while providing support. Plus they are insulated so my feet are always toasty. I think they may have a steel shank in them, but not sure. They are sized unisex, so they are wider than I need, but I wear thick socks & that works great for me. As far as getting back up from the ground, you could take a chair or step-stool out with you to use for leverage.
Can't help you with the procrastination bit; I try not to because my Must-Do list just gets longer when I Don't Do. And "do it later" is often too late.
I get very easily overwhelmed due to the size of my property & how little time i really have. This is why I break things into chunks. Seeing the progress from the work of my hands is encouraging for me. Plus I don't feel that I must finish "X" all in one session. I have to be careful of repetitive motion for a sustained period because that is the typical way that I self-injure. So breaking tasks up has worked well in that regard, too.
If you have horsetail, you're in for a battle. If you are opposed to chemicals, you can try to dig it out whenever you see it. It does eventually weaken the plant. But this one is tough as nails.

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/?gclid=CJGvo4-Qx50CFRkpawodBEzIqw

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 10:32 AM

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the link, Katye. I might just have to order Joey and me a pair of those "Jobbers". He is always complaining that his feet get wet.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Looking at the prices on that link, they seem reasonable as well. Better than some of the catalogs I get. Mclendons has a few styles usually in stock, and it is good to try on a pair as, as Kayte says, they are unisex and it is hard to know what size to get.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Mine have both men's & women's sizes inside them. I know they carry Muck Boots locally (at the Grange in Issaquah); probably in tack shops, too. For as comfortable as they are on my feet, I think they are worth more than full price. Easy to put on / pull off; insulated; comfortable; clean up nicely - oh my...I'm sounding like a commercial.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

The fall pics are wonderful! My yard has some yellow and lots of wet....

LFS...Muck boots are a MUST have....shoe type, or over ankle type...warm dry feet is one of the most important things about gardening in the PNW. I also second Mom's recomendation of a polar fleece hat. Warm feet, warm head and ears, warm soul......

Pony, hope you get better! There is lots of crud running around early this year. My Bro's son has two friends and one teacher with diagnosed cases of the swine flu already....ick!

Thanks, Julie. I am feeling better today, still run down but at least my head isn't exploding anymore.

I saw some adorable rubber boots at Sportco in Fife- they had little horses all over them! But alas, they didn't have my size. I found them at Amazon.com and put them on my wish list- maybe for Christmas... ;)

You completely NEED those boots, pony! Rubber boots with horses on them! Just think!

Edited to add that whoever has the horsetail, add lots of lime to the soil. That's how you kill it. Don't dig it or pull it out, whatever you do. That's how you increase the patch. If you do that, it will be there forever. It needs an acid Ph to grow well. Increase the ph of the soil and it will die. Not tomorrow, but slowly and surely.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 9:02 AM

(Judi)Portland, OR

Color from my bedroom window.

Thumbnail by Portland1

Oh Wow, Judi....how gorgeous. Wow!
We have nothing but green and a touch of (maybe) yellow.
Sigh....

Wowsa! That red is amazing, Judi. Beautiful!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful Judi. My Virginia creeper has never turned red.

(Judi)Portland, OR

The Virginia Creeper turned bright red almost overnight. It's amazing. Did the same thing last year. All the leaves are so pretty right now but it won't be long before everything is bare!

I need muck boots!

Tracy had his follow up appointment with the neurologist today- it went exactly like we expected it to go. She said all tests were normal, and he's cleared to do all the things he's been doing all along anyway. LOL!

So we reckon it's as we thought- just a combination of fatigue, heat, nicotine and carbon monoxide adding up, overloading his system and forcing a reboot. ;)

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Carbon monoxide??? Where did that come from?

Good news on the results.

Yeah,, carbon monoxide??

(Judi)Portland, OR

I think maybe carbon DIoxide...
It's great he's feeling well!

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 9:35 PM

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Much better. I was wondering how CM poisoning could have happened - especially at the home of a fireman!!

Carbon Monoxide from the charcoal pellets used in the hookah.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I am glad he is ok.

Glad Tracy is OK, hope you are feeling better, too, Pony.

Loving this warm sunshine, now if only the leaves would start their color dance.

Monticello, MN

Yes I am a "lurker" But I feel the need to heed this warning to you all -
I believe the world in getting ready for its second flood - mind you for three days now my dog and I have been helping creatures across the main road onto our huge hill - seriously there is this little snake and many have become road kill
that are all crossing the road in the same direction - towards our hill and there are centipedes (mind you) two by two
headed the same direction AND this morning there are now snails without shells crossing in the same direction
Now - what other reason would there be than the second flood is coming --- and our hill is not that tall!
This is at our cabin - anyone who is concerned is welcome to come - we sleep 8 or you could pitch a tent if you can find a level spot.

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Did the slugs get to come on the ark too?

NOAH!!! Cried his wife, 'WHAT WERE YOU THINKING OF!!!???"

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the warning, CD. There is much talk about flooding south of Seattle this winter.

I'll come, but have you started the ark yet?

Monticello, MN

It has not dawned on me that I would have to build an Ark - I thought our hill would suffice
I suppose we could chop a few trees down - my DH arrived down here just in time - he would love the challenge
but my concern is what to feed everybody!
Thanks for playing along -
Took a walk this afternoon helped one snake across but the other had a huge objection - the centipedes and snails are still a-coming
If I see deer crossing two by two and turkeys then there really is something serious going on around here.
Yes - we live by a river that does like to flash flood - makes life interesting.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I can see how that popped into your head, though. Everybody laughed at Noah. Keep an eye on them and keep us informed.

Hmmmm. Nobody ever mentioned what they ate . . .

Monticello, MN

That's what happens when I am all alone at the cabin with only the dog to talk to - I find humor in a lot of things -
Will keep you posted
I am sure glad to hear that Traci is healthy - but what a scare

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

"All alone at the cabin" sounds heavenly to me right now . . .

I got to see Rarejem today! Neener Neener Neener!

(Thank you for the DLs and cardboard, Julie!) :D

Now if I could just get up the energy to work out there... *slump*

And by the way- could someone, anyone, please acknowledge that I did indeed mean Carbon MONoxide? I'm feeling a little patronized here. Thppppt. :p If you don't believe me, google hookah + carbon monoxide and see for yourselves.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Pony I apologize! I'm the one who suggested dioxide and I see that I am wrong. I'll be staying away from hookahs!

*whew* Thank you. I feel better now. LOL!

Yeah, depending on the brand of charcoal, an hour of hookah smoking can have as much Carbon Monoxide as an entire pack of cigarettes. Tracy smoked for 3 or 4 hours... yikes. He won't be doing that again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.