Cleaning Polycarbonate Panels on Greenhouse

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I have a Rion GH w/polycarbonate panels. I can't find my instructions for it, and was wondering if anyone knows what I can use to clean the panels (e.g. dishsoap okay?). They're spotted up, and a simple hosing didn't help at all. Any ideas? Thanks, in advance.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

A couple drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent to a gallon of water cleans poly windows.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Will it help remove the spots that are caused (I think) by my hard water? I hosed off the greenhouse to get rid of some dust from when I was blowing leaves, and it left all these spots on the panels.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Are the spots on your roof panels too? That could be a difficult job reaching them. You could try putting some soap in a hose-end sprayer. I have a CD somewhere that came with my Rion. I'll look and see if there's anything on it regarding cleaning. Have company coming today, but will look asap. You could also give Rosemary a call at Systems Trading, a Rion distributor. She's very nice and may be able to help you. They also carry Rion parts.

Rosemary Merriam
Customer Service Manager
Systems Trading Corp.
P. O. Box 50308
Austin, TX 78763
877 407-9100 ext 1

Diana

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks much. I'll call her tomorrow! I did wipe the entire exterior down with warm, soapy water (dawn) and a microfiber cloth, and the spots remained. I think it's a product of my hard water (city water). And they are on the inside as well because I sprayed down the inside, too, because it got dusty also when I was leaf-blowing (next time, I'll be sure to close the door!).

I was also thinking about the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. There aren't any chemicals on it, so I could just use warm water, then wipe behind it with a clean, microfiber cloth. Thoughts?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Please do NOT use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I think you will wreck the panel and there are chemicals in it.

Your best solution is sunlight dish soap and a non abrasive sponge. Try a squeegee with the Sunlight soap.

I have damaged surfaces with the magic eraser, by mistake. It contains formaldyhide

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=1545

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 6:15 AM

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I went through my Rion disc and there's nothing in it about cleaning the panels. Did you have any luck contacting Rosemary?

Easton, KS(Zone 5b)

I wonder if vinegar mixed with water would remove it - it removes hard water deposits on other surfaces, but I have no idea if it would harm the polycarbonate panels.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I'd try the vinegar... straight. Try it on a patch and see. I'd wipe it on with a soaked sponge, not letting any run off if you've got silicon sealant nearby... the solvent for many silicon sealants is an acid and over time vinegar can cause the seal to deteriorate (also don't use it around your kitchen sink... bad for the seal and if you have any grouted tile).

Just to be very safe, after you've gotten the water spots off with the vinegar, you might wipe it down with rainwater or something.

Thousand Oaks, CA

Hi,
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to clean the inside cells of polycarbonate panels, prior to assembly and raising of the greenhouse? Ours have some dirt build-up on the inside, and we have tried soaking them, squirting water through them, and even using an upholstery needle with a long crocheted (for the nubbiness and greater surface reach) cotton thread. We don't want to crush, split or poke a hole in the inside cell...
Thank you in advance!!!

Bark River, MI

I don't really have any suggestions but I will say... if I had it to do over I would use some type of glazing tape on the ends of the panels before assembling the GH. Mine have everything in them from worms to spider egg sacs!

Sandy

Thousand Oaks, CA

Hi Sandy,
That is a good idea. We've got spider egg sacs in there, too. I wonder how long it will be before mine goes from sparkling, clean and perfect to dusty and water-spotted...
Thanks,
Kristi

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey ahaddock,

This company makes custom brushes as well but they may have some stock that works. The nylon tube brushes go up to 5 feet long.

http://www.justmanbrush.com/catalog/plugins/lineitems/browse.asp

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.