My bloom for the day...

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Black Dragon... Love this plant....

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Love it, Love it, Love it, Very gorgeous indeed, always loved the deep strong color the hib has, great photo PurePlants, got any more for us to enjoy.
Thanks fore sharing it with us.

Wilfred

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is absolutely outstanding! Thanks for sharing your beautiful flower with us.

Judy

Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

How stunning!!!!! I absolutely LOVE it!
Thank you so much for sharing!

Tina

Blackshear, GA

LOVE the color....beautiful!

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

me too, loving it! That photo is unbelievable, so perfect looking! looking forward to seeing more...

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Beautiful "Black Dragon" bloom. One of the toughest hibiscus to grow and keep healthy, but definitely worth it.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes indeed amorecuore. Very sensitive, I have to keep a constant eye on it as well as a couple of others.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

hey Jon, long time no see, glad to have you around again. I'll be looking for some of the infamous photos you kindly share. Take care. deb

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Your Black Dragon Bloom is beautiful!! Mine just died :o( -- will have to try again.

Snug

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is another from a "Wild at Heart". I bought this as a black dragon cutting and it obviously is not! The seller confirmed today it was a wild at heart. Still pretty I think....

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is one that is taking its sweet time to bloom! This one is "panorama"? I will post more pics when the bloom opens all of the way....

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

So what is the seller doing to rectify the mix up? I've had that happen to me three times this summer...just seeing how others address the problem.

You have a point Dee. I've never received the wrong plant, but many retailers charge more for a "Black Dragon". That second bloom looks like a double bloom hibiscus. They usually take a few more days to open compared to single blooming ones.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Well guam, I received the three cuttings in the same shipment. One was panorama (the double bloom one above) and then the other two were supposed to be black dragon. One plant has grown or matured a little bit faster than the other and was a couple weeks behind for the first bloom. By this point I had experience with what the black dragon bud looked like in its progression and I noticed pretty early on that the second one was different. While it was a bud (pictured below) I sent her an e-mail and let her know that it looked different and did not appear to be a black dragon. She acknowledged the picture and said that it didn't seem big enough yet to identify for sure but to let her know how the bloom turned out, so today I sent her the pic above and she identified it appropriately and said that they were sold out of black dragons for this year and would have more available in February. I guess it is a wait until February and see what happens.

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

A black dragon bud...

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Even though its not the Black Dragon you paid for its a really gorgeous hib I miet say, If I was you I would stay with it and ask for a refund for the difference price or a credit for that sake. Sometimes thing happen for a reason we don't understand, maybe it was meant to be so you could cross pollinate it with the other black dragon you have and get a whole new hib that miet look outstandingly gorgeous and different with the best characteristic of both hib. Believe me, its happen to me for the better.

Wilfred

BTW, can't wait to see how the double hib finally looks like when it decides to fully open, color looks great already.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Yeah I'm not too bothered by it because I think it really is pretty. I bought two black dragon though because I wanted to get it grown out and give it to my MIL while in full bloom to suprise her but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anymore. I'm not too worried about it. If the seller stands behind their sale and sends me another black dragon that will be great but I'm not too worried about it. I still felt it necessary to let her know though. If I can get the panorama to bloom fully I sure will post a pic. The last bloom's stem ended up turning yellow and fell off before it could bloom so I figured it was ready for some fertalizer and I also might have let it try out too much. I have noticed the hybrid speices to not be as hardy as some others. Hopefully I can keep them all alive. The black dragon has like 7 buds on it right now so I must be doing something right... =)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The Wild at Heart is very pretty even though it was not what you bought. I'm with Wilfred,
can't wait to see Panorama fully open Sometimes I wish there was a way to speed them up....especially the first bloom from a new plant. Thanks so much for sharing your beauties with us.

Judy

Kerkdriel, Netherlands

Very pretty pictures of very pretty flowers. I am waiting with you all to see the picture of the double flower.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the bloom today.... I wish it would open already!!! LOL

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

And another black dragon....

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Looks like that double likes to tease you, doesn't it, LOL! in fact I think it likes to tease every one who's waiting to see it for that matter, they should had called it "The Teaser" instead of "Panorama"

Keep us informed of its progress in blooming, suspense is high now.

Wilfred

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Hib blooms are all so beautiful, I could gobble them up with a side of french vanilla ice cream!

That double is going to open up tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Get ready!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Is that Blue Bell Ice Cream? Pretty buds Pure. Love that your sharing the unfolding with us. Thanks very much.

Judy

Omaha, NE

What an amazing color! I don't know hibs from ---- but that color is GORgeous.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Well PurePlants, did they opened or not, still waiting for your gorgeous photos of them finally opened.

Wilfred

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Wilfred, it did not end up opening all the way, below is a pic from Saturday and it just withered from there. I have had more black dragon blooms though!! The first bloom the double had only grew to about half this size and then fell off, this one made it twice as far, I am hopeful that the third time is the charm. Do you think I am doing something wrong? All my other hibs seem to be fine but none of them are a double either. Is it because it is the first blooms since it was a cutting? Any input is greatly appreciative!!

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Can you post a photo of the leaves of the "Panorama" plant, it miet be nothing but sometime you can tell by looking at the leaves of a plant if it need something but again it could also be the weather, some hibs are more susceptible to weather changes than others, just have to keep ruling out the thing that could be affecting its performance until you get what it is. If we have luck, maybe someone else who has the same hib plant will tell how theirs is doing as blooming performance goes.
To bad this one didn't completely open since it like it would have been a really gorgeous color for a double hib to display.

Wilfred

It's probably a combination of the weather and some genetic characteristics in that specific variety. The unusually hot October weather we've all been having can cause buds to drop prematurely. I also get quite a few double bloom buds that either fall off or do not open completely when it's hot. Doubles are even more prone to bud drop when its breezy. I keep mine in areas where there is some protection from the wind, and not out in the middle of the yard. I wouldn't spend too much time wondering why that particular bud didn't open/ Sometimes it happens no matter what you do. You'll get some good blooms on that plant.

Jon

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

You see PurePlants, there's away someone to give us a hand or advise for that fact in this forum, this time it was our friend Jon, nothing to worry about, thanks Jon.

Wilfred

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks everybody!! I'm enjoying my other hibs in the meantime... having lots of fun. I love everything blooming, it seems there is always something blooming around here... hibiscus, plumeria, marigold, purslane, adeniums, mandevillas, peppers, coleus, crepe myrtle, etc. etc..... waiting for another round of blooms from the gardenias, jasmine, honeysuckle, bouganvilla, aloe and azaleas, etc.!

I know what you mean PurePlants. As long as a hibiscus or something else blooms on a given day I'm happy also. Here was my favorite bloom from today (Reblooming Bearded Iris "Clarence"). Any day a bearded iris blooms down here in South Florida I'm quite happy.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Just beautiful, Jon. Pretty as a picture! Thanks for sharing with us.

Judy

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a nice bloom for the day... Evangaline.... (and I got a panormama double bloom starting to open, but that one will take for ever....)

Thumbnail by PurePlants

Nice Evangeline hibbie. Yep, gotta have lots of patience with those doubles!!!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I want a Black Dragon so bad. ~sigh~ Oh well maybe next year.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Your Evangeline is stunning. Love the way the pale colors spread across the petals. Delicate & beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us. Be waiting to see your double. More rain so I need a little cheering up. Hey Dee, Jon, Patrick, Wilfred....anyone have any blooms to share?

Judy

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, since you asked...

Tahitian Prince

Thumbnail by guamsorbit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.