Jello

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Been trying to find the heart to write this. Last night, Jello had a bad seizure and died while Marshall was rushing her to the emergency vet clinic.

I had been in Strasburg to see Mom and then had gone up to Winchester to pick up a few things. He came in from work and found her lying on the kitchen floor, breathing but not responsive. Luckily I had a cell phone and Marshall was able to reach me, I was able to reach my vet but I guess it was either too bad of a seizure or we were too late.

The house is so empty and so quiet without her. I miss her so much and I feel so awful that I wasn't there to pet her little head and comfort her. I was at the clinic waiting for them to arrive when he called from the truck to say she was gone. I did get to tell her goodbye when he arrived a few minutes later.

I can't tell you what a wonderful friend she was. She was my shadow, followed me everywhere, and was so sweet and loving with every living being she met.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I don't know why the photo didn't post. This is her.

Thumbnail by hart
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

So sorry about Jello, Hart. We all know from experience, the deep sense of loss, but she will give you lots of memories to smile about in the future.

Teri

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

hart I just feel for you so. Java and Jello sound like the most wonderful, beautiful companions anyone could ever have.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane - I'm just at a loss, my friend. You've been through so much - my heart simply aches for you. Please - no regrets, though....You know as well as I that Java was beside her comforting her the way only she knew how to. Much as you miss her - know she's back keeping Java company....and how very lucky she was to have been blessed with an absolute angel of a furr mama! Everyone that knows you - knows your fierce love & protection of those babies. They knew how much they were loved...and isn't that the very best gift we can give any of them?
I love you...you continue to be in my prayers, my friend.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, We all share in your loss and so much enjoyed all of your photos and stories of Jello. We will miss her too.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Our deepest condolences Diane! How very sad to lose such a special friend and to feel the emptiness they leave in our hearts! They indeed do know how much they were loved and cared for. And to know that there is no more pain for her now is the greatest blessing you can take away from this. It doesn't make it hurt any less, but may provide comfort in the long run.

May God wrap His love and healing around you and your family at this time!

Hugs,
Karen

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So sorry to hear about your poochie. Praying for comfort for you.

Hope your mom is doing better.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Diane, I feel so sad for you, I just showed Jello's picture to Greg - you are in our thoughts and prayers...

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh Diane - I'm glad Wild Rose posted the Rainbow Bridge poem - it's so wonderful and perfect for those who have lost their four-legged family members.

Sending my deepest, deepest sympathies on the loss of your beloved Jello. I'm so glad you got to tell her good-bye. That's got to be some comfort. Small comfort, but comfort nonetheless, I hope.

Big Hugs to you tonight.....Barb

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Dearest Diane, so sorry for your loss. Our fur babies are our closest friends and their loss goes deep. Time will soften the hurt, I have been there many times, adopting older dogs to love and giving them time to be just pets.

{{{Hugs}}}

Chris

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so sorry Diane. What sad news. Jello was so beautiful and so wonderful. Makes my heart break.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Prayers being continued today, Diane...hugs

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

so sorry hart to hear about jello. i haven't even known you for very long but yet i had heard of your friend jello as you showed me some pictures right off. i am crying after reading the rainbow bridge. i never heard it. i have a malamute that i hope to meet there one day.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Morning prayers Diane...hope to see you "here" soon...other wise..I may have to dig your number out..love you

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Everyone, thank you so much. Please don't think I'm ignoring you or those who sent d-mails. This is just hitting me really hard at a time when there's a lot going on with Mom too and it's hard to write. I think Jello's death is hitting me harder than Java's. I am reading everyone's messages and taking a lot of comfort from all my wonderful friends here at DG.

Mom by the way is okay, but was in the hospital for lsat Thursday night through Monday with pneumonia. She's now pretty weak and can't get up and walk on her own. She keeps trying to do that anyway and has fallen four times in the past few days. I was at the emergency room until 3 am with her last night making sure her head was okay from the latest fall. Luckily she's fine.

I'll write more when I can. I just don't want to start another crying jag.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You have way too much going on that's pulling at you. I am so sorry. I know you are strong, but this is really asking a lot of anyone.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh gosh, Diane - it really does seem like your poor mom (and YOU!) are just going from one crisis to another, with no "stable" time to regroup in between. And losing Jello so suddenly has got to have knocked you for a loop. Hang in there, and I hope things get a little better each day.

Hugs, Barb

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry for everything you are going through right now - life has a way of throwing hurdles at us, sometimes insurmountable ones - you are in our thoughts and prayers

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, Better days are coming.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Diane...mercy!! With this happening w/Jello I forgot to ask how mom was doing. Double time prayers, my friend...double time prayers...please call me if you need help...you know I be up there!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear this, Hart. I will miss Jello too, that picture is unforgettable. The talking dog..

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Dear Hart, I'm so sorry to hear about Jello. This is such a difficult time for you. I continue to keep you and mom and family in my thoughts and prayers. I have not been able to keep up with my friends at DG because my PC isn't working and I must buy a new one, and then I'll come back and catch up here. Prayers, hugs, and peace to you. Pam

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have come back here over and over and tried to write more about Jello. I'll just say I'm missing her horribly. The house seems so empty with out the patter of her paws. It seems like everything reminds me of her because she always followed me everywhere. Even now. When I was on the computer, she had a blanket under my desk and would lie here, usually with her head on my feet.

This is what I had so feared would happen too - her having a bad seizure and me not here to make sure she got help in time. I feel so bad that I wasn't there to comfort her. Marshall found her, still alive but not responding but she died on the way to the emergency vet. I was there when they arrived but it was too late.

Mom is doing okay but I'm getting pretty frantically worried about her not eating. Her swallowing isn't as good and she's afraid she's going to choke. She was much stronger yesterday, though, and able to walk much better. She's fallen four times in the past few days because she was so weak but kept trying to get up on her own. Anyway, I've called her doctor this morning. When we saw him week before last and sent an order for Ensure but said if her eating continued to be a problem he could prescribe a medication to increase her appetite. I also asked that her therapy include swallowing therapy so she won't be afraid to eat.

Thank you so much for all your kind messages and thoughts. It sure does help to know I have such wonderful friends here who understand what a hole it tears in your heart to lose such a dear furry friend.

Pam, I hope you're able to get a new computer soon.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've been thinking about you a lot Diane, especially when I heard that Jello passed away. I know what a true companion she was to you. What a shock for her to go at such a young age. (((HUGS))) Even though you weren't there when she died you gave her lifetimes of love when you were with her.

I'm glad that your mom is out of the woods on the pneumonia front and hope that she's able to be more comfortable eating soon. So complicated it seems like one thing after another.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Diane, I know what you're saying about mom eating and being afraid of choking. It adds to her anxiety. I hope the doctor is able to give her something to stimulate her appetite so the effort seems more worthwhile to her.

I hear how much your heart aches for your Jello. Sometimes thinking and writing about the sweet and funny things she did and the time you spent together helps ease the pain just a little while. Pam

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Diane, sorry I haven't posted since sending you Dmail last week. I definitely don't want to send you on another "crying jag" but I'm still thinking of you :(

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm doing okay. Yesterday I was home almost all day for the first time in weeks and weeks. I was really missing her something awful. So I spent part of the day looking for a puppy. I decided after reading about a lot of breeds I'd like a Boston terrier. They remind me of miniature Jellos with the white rings around their noses and their personalities sound like her so much I'm wondering if she wasn't a giant Boston terrier instead of a pit bull.

Pam, I really can't talk about her yet. I guess I'm being ridiculous. It really hits both of us when we come home and she isn't there to greet us, doing her little happy to see you dance and bringing her best chewy to show you.

Mom is doing much better. The doctor added a medicine to help her appetite and she's actually been eating real food the past couple of days. She's a lot stronger too and is walking better than she has in weeks. My sister Debra is here and my cousin Pat who's more like a sister. That has cheered her up a lot.

Yesterday they stopped at Burger King on the way back from seeing her neurologist and she ate most of a whopper jr, some fries and a sundae. That's amazing compared to eating no solid food at all. She had some snacks in the car too - a banana and some little graham cracker bite sized cookies.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Glad your mom's eating again.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What wonderful news about your mom -- and I'm excited to hear about your steps to a new puppy!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I can sure understand about not talking about it. We all grieve in our own ways.

A Boston Terrier sounds just about perfect! And I'm so glad that your mom is eating again.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh what good news re your mom!!!! Now THAT'S something to send up a praise report about!!!!
Big hugs!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yay to good news!
Boston terriers are cure, and energetic LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, that's all the way round great news. Here's hoping for continued progress for your mom and a wonderful new furry friend in your life.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I posted a new thread with photos of my new baby, who should be here on Halloween.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.