Cooking up the harvest.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Share your fall warming recipes, soups, stews, apple pies.

Here is my Pumpkin Chowder a must have every fall, I bought 2 pie pumpkins for $1. from an Amish girl in Holmes County at home they are selling for 99 cents each. I saved the seeds too.

Hearty Pumpkin Chowder

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, chopped
4 cups pumpkin, peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
2 tablespoons peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup diced peeled potato
1 1/2 cups lima beans, frozen
1 cup corn kernel
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1 cup ham, chunks bite sized
4 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions
1 Saute onion, celery, pumpkin, ginger and garlic in butter 5 minutes over medium heat.
2 Stir in broth, potatoes, lima beans, corn and bell pepper.
3 Boil then cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4 Add ham.
5 Whisk milk, flour, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
6 Stir milk mixture into pot and bring to boil.
7 Stir a few minutes until thickened.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice, Lady. I never saw a recipe for this with Limas and corn and ham. Sounds good. May have to try it.

I'll try to think of some to post.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lady that sounds good and easy!!

I have a great one! Mom and I made this. The recipe as printed did NOT have any baking powder!! which I failed to notice till I checked the baking batter and it was flat as anything. ROFL! It is almost exactly like a cornbread recipe from the bag, which calls for 3 tsp BP for this size pan.
Confetti Cornbread
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
3 TB sugar
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
3 tsp baking powder !!!
1 cup milk
1 stick butter melted
1 egg
1 cup finely chopped bell peppers

Grease an 8 or 9 inch square pan. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Stir dry ingredients in bowl. Mix wet ingredients. Stir wet into dry, put in pan, bake 20- 25 minutes or till tests done.
It was not That bad messed up so gotta be tasty with the leavening. We decided to call it "corn pone" and pretend we planned it.
We had it with chili. I use the basic Hanover kidney beans can recipe but add 1/4 cup barley to it, and extra water since the barley will soak it up.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ooooooooo Sally, This would be a good night for some Chili. I like your corn pone recipe and just might try it too.

I was just thinking of making chili this weekend. I usually do cornbread when I make my Cowboy beans and rice.
With Chili we have crackers.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Lady, Tell us about those Cowboy Beans and Rice!

oldest DS also has to have crackers with chili!
can you post Cowboy Beans and Rice? Rice and beans is very nutritious and economical. I bought three boxes of Zatarains mix today at 3 for $5, homemade is probably not as high in salt.

Sure girls!

Cowboy Beans & Rice

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
3/4 cup water, plus
2 tablespoons water
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (I used black eye peas)
11 1/2 ounces tomato juice
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies (undrained)

Directions
1 Cook meat and onions in skillet, stirring to brown and crumble meat, drain off any grease.
2 Combine meat mixture, rice water, chili powder, salt, beans, tomato juice & chili peppers; stir well.
3 Pour in to a 3-quart casserole dish,.
4 Cover and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
5 Stir and cover and bake again for and additional 30 minutes, or until rice is tender.

Don't forget the cornbread!

Yum- I can do that! Thanks, ladyg!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, Do you put the cooked rice in the baking dish first and then pour the meat mixture over it?

Oh! when you stir them after the 1st. 50 min and it looks a bit dry add some more tomato juice. If I remember I had to do that one time I made it.
This is one dish Paul will eat as a left-over.

Sally, don't cook the rice and don't use Minute Rice, just brown the meat and onion, and I dump every thing in a big bowl, stir it and poor into the baking dish, I have also used a 13X9 inch glass baking dish.
The rice will cook in the liquid, that is why you may have to add more liquid later on.

Love these things I can mix up and stick in the oven, then go back outside and mess in the yard some more. I like pintos, but the black eyed peas would be good too; we've made Hoppin john for new years.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oooh, Sally. That's another recipe that should be posted for the benefit of us above the Mason-Dixon! Hoppin' John!

And for desert, sorry no picture- we ate it before I thought about taking a picture, but it was yummy!

Sour Cream Apple Pie

INGREDIENTS
Crust
1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box ( I did my own Crust)
Filling
1 1/4 cups sour cream
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
6 cups 1/4-inch slices peeled baking apples
Topping
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash salt
3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Unroll pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie. In large bowl, beat sour cream, granulated sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and egg with wire whisk until well blended; stir in apples. Pour into crust-lined pie plate.
2. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 30 minutes longer.
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix all topping ingredients except butter. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Sprinkle topping over pie. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.

The pie sounds AWESOME

Hopping John (Southern Living)
2 cups dried black eyed peas
1/2 pound salt pork, quartered
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped rgeen pepper
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper

Wash peas. cover with (extra) water in large pot and soak 8 hours. Drain, return to pan and add salt pork, onion and green pepper.
Cover with (more ) water and simmer, covered, about 2 hours until peas are tender and water has cooked very low.
Add the 2 1/2 cups water, rice, and seasonings, cover and cook over low heat until rice is done. Add additional water if needed.
Cheap and filling for 8 - 10 people

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

My goodness, with all of these great recipes, it's going to be tough to choose between garden clean up and cooking. Thanks, Lady & Sally!

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I think Cowboy Beans and Rice are on the menu for tonite and the Apple pie will make an appearance sometime soon too. Thanks!

Anybody interested in a recipe tree? I just got one sent to me, supposed to send out again and just send two recipes. The first two I am sending along for the chain, are going to my friend and her buddy , who put me into a flip flops chain. (Yeah, here's your flip flops,
but take this other chain off me too !)

Sally, I'm going to pass, meeting obligations have become a real stress factor for me lately. And I am right now in a seed swap and doing fall gardening chores. But thanks for the invitation.
Trying to learn the art of cutting back. ha ha

Chris

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I'm in the same boat as Lady. Sorry....

Hey, Stormy when you spot land will you yell "Land Ho!" Just in case I'm at the helm.
(Not bad for someone who has not boating knowledge) LOL

I perfectly understand!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thought i would post this here--as many of us have an abundance of green tomatoes at this time.
It is really, really good! I have not made it--but have eaten it as Susan gave me a small jar last year.

I work with a woman who is a real "frontier type"----She cans and fishes and hunts and dives and crabs and all that.
She and her husband bought 33 acres of woodland in VA (so they could hunt on their own property) and built a lovely home on it-- an that is where she gardens. She does not get to go there except on weekends--until he retires. He is a longshoreman--and it is good money, so who knows when?

I have shared many a plant and seeds with her--so we have a reciprocal relationship. Now and then she brings me some fresh fish or something she has canned...
The below recipe uses up Green Tomatoes. It is SO delicious! Sweet and juicy! I just eat it right out of the jar.
Hope you will give this a try.

INDIAN PICKLE—from Susan Lamar (@ HD).
(good way to use up green tomatoes at the end of the season),

4lbs green Tomatoes
4lbs ripe Tomatoes—peeled
3 med. Onions
3 Sweet Red Peppers—seeded
3 Green Peppers--seeded
1-lg. Cucumber
7cups chopped Celery
2/3cup Salt
3pts. Vinegar
3lbs Brown Sugar
1 Tbs. Dry, ground Mustard
1tsp. White Pepper

Chop all veggies coarsely—sprinkle with the salt and
Let stand 12hrs.—or overnight

Drain well, discarding the collected liquid.
Place in a big pot and add remaining ingredients

Bring to a boil and simmer slowly (about 30 min.) stirring occasionally

Pour into hot glass jars. Adjust lids. (?)
Process in hot boiling water (212*) for 5 minutes.

Makes about 6 pints.

I just picked all my green tomatoes too. Have about 7-8lbs of them.
Not sure what i will do??????? Canning/preserving is NOT my thing! BUT--I might try this one!

Gita

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Do you think that freezing this would be OK?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I also love whole pickled green tomatoes. I used to buy them at a deli and actually preferred them to cucumbers.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't know about freezing--but i can ask Susan tomorrow.....I will see her at work.

I think, since she does the hot water bath, there is no need to freeze them--as they are fully "canned" and will last in a pantry. I am just guessing that---this is not usually frozen.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

No Gita, I was planning to freeze it in lieu of canning, not do both. Maybe the texture would be ruined by freezing.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Don't know....................................:o(

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just want to add--as I just ate another few fork-fulls of this "Pickle"--that Susan has Mustard SEEDS in there--NO dry mustard powder. Will have to clarify that tomorrow as well.
I like the seeds!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've got a recipe somewhere for pickles to use up those green tomatoes. It's been years since I made them but we always had them with baked beans - yummy! I'll see if I can find the recipe.

I've been thinking about sharing this recipe with you all for sometime. Made it awhile ago and it was just like the real pecan pie. I like it since it uses less pecans, which can be quit pricey.

Oatmeal Pecan Pie

Ingredients
1 unbaked pie crust
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup dark corn syrup
2/3 cup regular rolled oat
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans
whipped cream (optional)

Directions
1.preheat oven to 325.
2.in a medium pan melt butter.
3.remove from heat, stir in sugar, corn syrup, and oats.
4.stir in eggs and vanilla.
5.pour into unbaked pie crust.
6.top with pecans.
7.cover edges of pie with tin foil to prevent overbrowning.
8.bake for 25 minutes.
9.remove foil, bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until set.
10.cool on a wire rack.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I like that recipe, Lady. I always use more Pecans than what any of the recipes call for. I usually lower the sugar and syrup contents too. This can make it take longer to gel. Often, I have to cover the top with foil because of the prolonged bake time. By adding the oatmeal, I may have to stick with the reccomended amount of syrup.

Here is a good one for using up some green tomatoes. It only makes 4 pints.

Piccalilli

Ingredients
5 green tomatoes
5 green peppers
2 red peppers
5 onions, peeled
1 small cabbage
1/4 cup salt
Brine
3 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 tablespoon whole cloves
2 inches cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon allspice berry
2 cups mild cider vinegar
Directions
Cup up vegatables, I like to have mine in strips but you can also coarse chop them.
Sprinkle them with the 1/4 cup salt.
Cover and let stand overnight.
Next day.
Cover with cold water and drain.
Add the remaining Brine ingredients (I tie the spices in cheese cloth so that I can remove the whole spices from the vegatables).
Bring to the boiling point and cook slowly 15 minutes.
Pack in pint jars. (4 Jars)
And process in boiling water bath to seal.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Lady--

This is so similar to the "Indian Pickle" recipe I posted....Only that one did not have cabbage in it....and had a few more ingredients.....spices....

I haven't made pickles in a long time, I'm the "pickle person" in my house, love eating them with almost every meal. The above recipe I found in an old Fanny Farmer paperback cookbook. My great aunt use to make Piccalilli and this recipe tastes just like her's.
Whenever I go down to Holmes County I always buy their Bread and Butter Pickles, so good.

The oat-p ecan pie sounds great

I am not a pickle person, and need to cook up some green tomatos. Need to look up a recipe for fried green tomatos. I think I've just done egg- seasoned flour or cornmeal dip. Is that all?

Not into fried green tomatoes, so can't help you Sally. I did not have many green tomatoes, the plants died early and the tomatoes all ripened. I boiled down all the ripe ones and froze the tomato sauce in bags for chili and soup this winter.
Here is my favorite recipe site on the web.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?s_type=%2Frecipes.php&q=fried+green+tomatoes&Search=Search&Searcht=Search

This message was edited Oct 26, 2009 8:03 AM

Thanks LG--!
I bought okra last week, to cook with red tomatos, and corn, kind of summer veg stew. But the okra was kind of old, and I didn't get to it, and I think I'll just have to forget that idea for now. But we had the okra stuff from a can (!!) and hubby liked it. Gotta get some frozen okra from the store.
My produce place still had corn so we're having that tonight. And zukes and yellow squash, and kale. And a turnip the size of a cantalope! so many kids traditional tales have turnips in them; they really can grow very big.
Tonight is meatloaf, corn, green tomatos, some kind of starch.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, that's the deal with the fried green tomatoes... you can add a splash of milk to the beaten egg. There's a lot of debate over the proper coating... straight corn meal, bread crumbs, flour, or a combination (I wouldn't do just flour, though -- not enough crunch). I like the added sweetness you get when you use "green" tomatoes with just a touch of color (they do have to be quite firm, though, or they'll fall apart).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.