CLOSED: Seeds for SASBE

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Janet, your SASBE arrived today! OMG, girl, you spoil me!!! I love the lip balms and perfume. I just had to try out the tangerine balm. Awesome! It's so moist! The banana and strawberry smell great too. How sweet of you! Do you make this stuff yourself? Thank you for being so thoughtful! I'll think of you each time I use these products.

I'll put your seeds in the mail probably on Tues.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes I make them. It is so easy and they don't contain chemicals. A big thing for me.
Did I not put in the cuticle gelly?
Glad you like them so much..... since I was so bad about getting my package out to ya. Sorry for the delay, send them out when you are by the po. Don't make any special trip.

Enjoy, and do think of me as next year when my flowers start coming up I will for sure be thinking of you as well.

Heres to getting rid of grass.....LOL

Janet

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oh, yes, there's cuticle jelly there too. I forgot to mention it. I definitely need it, and do you know I've never had any before? They've used it on me at the beauty school where I get an occasional manicure, but I never thought to get any. Thanks for everything! The lip balms I'll use the most. I always carry lipstick in my pocket, and it often ends up in the dryer when I do laundry. LOL

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

before using the gelly, heat a small bowl of water pretty hot, then put the tube down in the water, repeat if necessary, until it becomes liquid. with the butters in there when it gets cold it gets solid.... so if you try to pump and nothing comes out, follow the above directions.

It only take a drop for all 10 fingers...

Janet

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Nancy letting you know I received my seeds today. Thank you so much for sharing with me. Margaret

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

NancyAnn - received my seeds yesterday! Thanks so much for sharing! You are very generous!

Kelly

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

You're so welcome Kelly!

Tues I plan to mail packages out to you, Meadowyck and Ptilda. So y'all should have them by the end of the week if the post office is moving right along.

Feel free to add any excesses or any that you do not want to your trade list. That's why I was so generous with some of the seeds--so you could build up your trade list and swap for something else you'd like. It's hard to trade when you're new and don't have much.

Happy Gardening, everybody!

NancyAnn

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

You're the greatest NancyAnn! Your seeds are so nicely packaged!

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Ok butterfly I will put your name on some of those seeds..... I dont think the lady gave me the name she just shared the seeds said they were purple and white... She is sending me some more in case mine dont make enough seeds... I looked up black current swirl that looks like what it is... I'll put you down for some...Trish

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I might be lucky #7 but after opening my bulging package I am Blessed #7.

NancyAnn, what an amazing gardener to share the bounties of your hard work.

Hopefully one day I will not longer have grass to mow, thanks to you.

Janet

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

We don't need no stinkin' grass, do we Janet?? Repeat after me, "Roundup is my friend!" LOL

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

ROFL...... you too funny, instead of roundup I just prefer to just lay layers of newspapers and add new soil then plant seeds......lol

repeat after me.... newspapers, topsoil, seeds..... = NO stinkin grass..........

Janet

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Just build you a lasagna bed - that will take care of that stinkin' grass - lol . . .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I did that in large empty areas of my garden. We have a recycling center and they gave me tons of huge cardboard boxes, like refrigerators come in. And I got tons of free mulch from local tree trimmers. Still some bermuda would come thru here and there, so Roundup took care of it. I still have some trouble spots where bermuda resurfaces. Those spots are tight, near other plants, so my buddy Roundup round up that bermuda quite well. By the way, using newspapers and cardboard is how I transformed my red clay to rich black gold.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

NancyAnn

How old is your garden and do you have before shots?

Janet

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I started gardening about 10 years ago, when I finished building my house. My original intention was just to have a few beds up around the foundation, but I soon became addicted to plants and couldn't stop killing bermuda. I just kept going and soon I'd planted my little yard completely with bloomers. My brother owns the land on both sides of me so I began expanding...and expanding...and expanding. My brother would come home every now and then and say, "I see you've moved the property lines again." I'd reply, "Yeah, well, you know you can't just go off to work everyday and leave your property unattended with me in the neighborhood." LOL I ended up taking about a 20 x 100 ft strip of his land (right up to his house) on one side and a 50 x 100 ft strip of his land on the other side. He doesn't have much land to mow anymore. LOL

Before shots? You know, I was never any good at taking before shots, even with home improvement projects. I always think of the "before" shorts AFTER I've completed the makeover. You can see what they look like right now. But remember, when I began all this, I had nothing but bermuda, some orange trumpet vine and wild honeysuckle strangling some privet, and red clay. Now it's all gone! Well, not the trumpet vine; it's still fighting for control.

http://photo1.walgreens.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=520389004/a=25971560_25971560/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walgreens/

I am already redesigning these gardens and plan to start the makeover in spring. So I guess these photos could be some "before" shots. LOL I've recently put a privacy fence up all around the property and will build a gazebo and several arbors and benches. I plan to incorporate some English style gardening and separate my themed gardens into "rooms", so you won't be able to see into the next room until you go thru an arbor.

That's probably more information than you wanted. LOL

NancyAnn

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh NancyAnn, those pictures are lovely! You have your own little paradise there!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow, NancyAnn... your garden is gorgeous. I hope I can get mine that nice someday!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad you posted your link for others to enjoy. It really is incredible what we can do with our property when we get addicted to plants...LOL

Janet

ps NancyAnn I went to a class yesterday up at Holden Arboretum it was a seed progagation class and we did a little class time then went out through the Arboretum and went picking seeds, then more class room to read which seeds need cold saturation or warm or both and how long of each.

I pick up about 10 different tree/shrub plants..... Last year I was addicted (and still am) but this year, especially since I've not got seeds, I'm big right now on collecting seeds and how best to get them to grow....teeee heeee

this obsession never gets old does it....

Janet

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for the compliments. You probably won't believe this, but when I look out over my gardens, all I can see is all the projects I need to finish and how everything needs to be redone and what a mess it all is. I can't wait for spring so I can start moving plants and getting the designs done that I want.

Janet, growing from seeds is easy. The best technique is just to follow Mother Nature's example. Tropical seeds don't need a freezing period since they wouldn't get it in their natural habitat. In non-tropical zones, Seeds that fall off the plants in the fall benefit from a freezing period because they'd normally get it. A few (4 oclocks and amaranths, for example) will germinate anytime. But if in doubt, pop those babies in the freezer for a couple of weeks and then sow. I follow Mother Nature's example in everything. I am mostly a seed scatterer. During late fall or winter, when I can't garden any other way, I scatter seeds outside where I want them to grow. In spring, they pop up.

I did that with columbine for a couple of years and thought I got no germination...until one day I saw a columbine plant at Lowe's. I recognized the foliage and it was then I realized that I had gotten LOTS of germination. But, thinking they were that wild oxalis that likes to take over, I ripped all the little seedlings out. So if you scatter, know what the foliage looks like; it certainly helps with "germination". LOL

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Butterflychaser, thank for the suggestion of cardboard. The soil here is red and all I can say is it's sticky to work with. I'll also check with the local landscapers about mulch. This soil needs alot of amendment so I'll take all suggestions. I guess I should take some before pictures also. Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.