Stunning Coleus

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

It is getting late, but these Coleus have been outstanding- I will take cuttings and try to keep some alive this winter.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, those are outstanding, especially those 2 colors combined.

It's only in the past couple of years that I have come to really appreciate coleus. I bought a few from the Rosy Dawn coop this year and this trailer is my favorite. It's extremely healthy and undemanding. This picture was taken in August, it's even bigger now. (of course I don't remember the name).

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Been on a coleus kick this year. Started out with three kinds of wizard, then got a Kong and had some seedlings come up so I am also bringing them in the house for houseplants this winter with fingers crossed for a jump on them in the spring!

This is one of my wizard seedlings

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Taking cuttings again today, but dont have any to offer to mail. Besides that its toooo cold to mail.

Melbourne, FL

I grew some from seed this year.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I saw some strange black coleus at a plant sale yesterday. They had THICK leaves, with total black, no green. Rather dead looking, no red either, to liven it up. I think the name was Black Dragon. I had a coleus by the same name, but it had green and red, with smaller, thinner, frilled leaves. Not as bushy though, but less dead looking. Henna looks like it wants out of it's pot. Good thing I have the planters ready, almost!

~Daniel

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Coleus ala basket...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Kong Mosaic and not sure what that other is....got the seeds in trade labeled Chocolate

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

this one was in the mix and it looks more like Chocolate.

Received Black Dragon in a trade but no germination on those.

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yum!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I put a better mix along the new brick pathway but they're not big enough yet to take a picture.

Jo,we kinds hi-jacked you post,didn't we...LOL...sorry

P

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

P, we-ins is good for that.. shame on us!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I couldn't resist this new one I found on vacation, called Merlin's Magic.

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

NEEEEAT!

Village of Port Clem, Canada

The Merlins Magic is outstanding. Thanks for the tip. I would like to see more photos as it gets huge.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll post in a week or two... there's been soooo much rain here, everything is just stalled out

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

the coleus basket again.. it has set seed

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Pretty sure this one is Coleus "Kiwi Fern" based on looking at the pictures of the varieties grown this summer by the local wholesaler.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone.I am adding Kiwi Fern to my list for 2011.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Neat one Jon! I like it!

I like that Kiwi Fern, Jon. I just saw that in a article about coleus...

My favorite so far is either Sedona or India Frills. The Flume is doing well too.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/66794/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37773/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/96820/

~Daniel

I like "Sedona" also. Saw that one last week at a Home Depot down here. Some of the private nurseries in South Florida sell some extremely large coleus plants. Since they're tropical plants they grow like mad this time of the year. Wish I knew the name of one I saw that I liked. It had red, orange, and pink colored leaves all one one plant. The leaves must change color as they mature I would think. The "Kiwi Fern" plants are now in the ground at mom and dads house in New York. I took them up there on the plane a couple of weeks ago. Thought they might like them. They did.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I think this is Kong... dont know what
color its called though. same as I had last year.. probably a cutting.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The weather has kept me from photo duties. I'll make an album of coleus when the daylight comes. Humidity is gone so we will have a great day.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This album is of coleus planted with other perennials.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/GardenColeusAugust6

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Amorecuore,

Could this "Alabama Sunset" be the coleus you are referring to?

Thumbnail by daisylovn

Oh how ironic you posted that beautiful photo. It's not the coleus I was referring to, but I was looking over this very same variety of coleus yesterday at Lowes in Ft Lauderdale. It's definitely a real eye catcher and the plants came in these very nice colorful lime green containers provided by Costa Farms (one of our big wholesale local growers).

Hey Daisy, I like your coleus! looks much better than mine!

Jon, we might have the same coleus!! I have one just like that except that it turns brown-red when transplanted or in deep shade. It is kinda pink when mature and not disturbed.
I would love to be in Florida now, if just to see the coleus. I read that the tallest coleus ever grew in the wild down there, 8 feet high. AND in poor soil. I can't imagine a coleus bigger than 2 feet high!

Here is a collage of Coleus,

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Like the REAL dark one Daniel. I had to go back to Flamingo Road Nursery and look at that coleus with the three different colored leaves. You were very close Daisy. It's name is "Alabama" and the growers website states it is very similar to "Alabama Sunset" and "Bellengrath Pink".

Daniel, I did see some large coleus plants at that nursery today. They were growing, under shade cloth, in 3 gallon containers. They were a bit elevated on a table, but looked like they were 3-4 feet high.

If you're curious to see which ones are grown down by the main wholesaler (American Farms Naples, FL) here is a link to their website. Just click on "coleus" on the left side of the main page.

http://www.american-farms.com/main%20pages/plants_page.htm

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice!

Edited for double post;)

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 4:07 PM

Thumbnail by DMgardener

AKA, Texas Parking Lot too. Why on earth would a coleus have 3 names??

That dark one is Molten Lava. Not a very good one for "stocky" growth. Needs to be pinched in order to branched. Possibly an older varieity.
We are so spoiled by India frills, Henna, Pineapplette, Black Dragon, etc. Pinching is easily forgotten.

At that link, I like the Ducksfeet, Freckles, and Pineapple. I had a cutting of Pineapple, was wowed by the red and yellow picotee, but it refused to root!! Only the memory of it remains...
At the top of the page, there is a coleus called Alambama that looks identical to mine!

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener

The "Alabama" Coleus names are confusing because there are several of them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The darkly beautiful Jungle Love

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The collage

Thumbnail by ge1836

Quote from amorecuore :
Like the REAL dark one Daniel. I had to go back to Flamingo Road Nursery and look at that coleus with the three different colored leaves. You were very close Daisy. It's name is "Alabama" and the growers website states it is very similar to "Alabama Sunset" and "Bellengrath Pink".

Daniel, I did see some large coleus plants at that nursery today. They were growing, under shade cloth, in 3 gallon containers. They were a bit elevated on a table, but looked like they were 3-4 feet high.

Amore, Its is nice : ) to know I was "close". I would love to see the Bellingrath Pink.. and the Alabama!! Bellingrath Gardens is located about 30 minutes from my home (The other side of town). I go there at least twice a year. If you are ever in the area its worth seeing!! Coleus and so many other things everywhere...

"Bellingrath Gardens and Home consists of gardens and a mansion located on the Fowl River in Theodore, a suburb of Mobile, Alabama. They contain 65 acres (26 hectares) and are open daily for a fee. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 19 October 1982"

Thanks DMGarner !! I just maybe the end of last season really fell in love with coleus. Made sense for me to start with some "Alabama Something".. lol

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 7:31 AM

This message was edited Aug 8, 2010 7:34 AM

I found the Bellingrath Pink. I dont' see a difference in it and the Alabama Sunset.

Thumbnail by daisylovn

LOL. That's why it's so confusing to me. They all look so so very similar yet they're listed as separate varieties online. Regardless, every one of them is beautiful.

Alabama is the only place, in the South, I've been to since moving down to Florida 20 years ago. Visited a town called "Alabaster" about 20-30 minutes away from Birmingham. Have though about taking a 1-2 week trip driving through the Southeast, in the spring or fall, but have yet to do it. Think about it often though.

Amore,

You will love it here in the spring.. If you take that trip and you come to Mobile, let me know. We'll go to Bellingrath Gardens together.. I never pass up the opportunity and I live here!!! : )

My next goal is to visit my brother in Charlotte NC and go to the Biltmore Mansion and Gardens. I hear they are breathtaking.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.