Anyone here grown Longan from seed?

Phoenix, AZ

I would like to learn how:)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I just did recently. I stuck 7 seeds in 7 pots and got 7 plants. I put them in a well drained potting soil. The seeds are only viable for a short time so eat them and plant them the same day. They are carrying them at Asian markets right now. Lychee are just as easy to grow from seeds. I also found that the ones in partial shade and not full sun germinated faster but I am in Texas and it gets hot here.

Phoenix, AZ

Did you have to do anything to the seeds first? I picked them last nite so I would imagine today or tomorrow would be ok to plant?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Nope. I put them in a pot and covered them with 1 inch of soil. Watered only to keep it moist. They took about 2 weeks to sprout and are about 7 inches tall a week or two later.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

See if you can get your hands on some Lychee at the grocery store. They sprout just as easy and are more cold hardy than Longan. I think they taste better too but they are more fragrant which puts some people off.

Phoenix, AZ

I have a Lychee tree but it doesn't hold fruit for more than a few weeks. Ive heard we dont have enough humidity. Was wondering also about Jujubee seed, plant them the same way? Ive got some fruit on the tree now. Thx Don

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Jujube you mainly graft unless it is Indian jujube.
Lychee produce leaves over 65 degrees and fruit under 65. Is your temp staying under 65 when you get fruit? I am not sure if that would cause drop as well. Here is a good link for that.

http://www.lycheesonline.com/HowToGetTreeToFruit.cfm

Make sure to look at the article for bud formation there as well. Such a good site.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.