Show off your banana!

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

I thought it would be great to see how everyone's bananas are doing since, at least for me, will be about as good as they get for the year! This is my Musa basjoo about 12 years old. It didn't get as tall as in year's past ......but it is a massive plant with enumerable stalks about 15' tall. This is my DH next to it for perspective.

Thumbnail by Azorina

This is another Musa bajoos that was nearly washed away last winter about 5' tall. 2nd year.

Thumbnail by Azorina

This is Dwarf Cavendish that lived in the house last winter. Unless we have a warm winter it probably won't survive. (I winter over a pup every year and plant the larger one ouside then bid it fairwell)

Thumbnail by Azorina
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Look at that!! I don't have any bananas . . .

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I have no bananas... I have no bananas today...

Awesome plants, Linda. :)

I put in Musa bajoo for the first time this year. They are doing super since we had such fine weather. I hope someday that they will look as great as those! They are beautiful! I also have a Chinese Yellow Banana, but it's still in the pot.

Thankyou for your kind words.
Pixydish- I love the Chinese Yellow bananas. Unfortunately my first planting didn't survive. It may be worth trying at least 2 more time since as they say "third time is a charm"

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

First full year for this banana RJ and I received as a gift last summer. ( From a banana owner, of course--Azorina.)

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

The little tree frog is happy with the banana leaf, too.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Your banana is looking happy and healthy. Cute little frog!! I am finally hearing a frog this year --first time in several years!

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Linda,

Your musa basjoo is just incredible!!! We are thrilled with ours, and can't wait to see it mature.

Thanks Julie... ;) Its size blows me away every year whether it be height or sheer size.........when you get this way bring a backhoe and you'll get another start! LOL

I forgot to post my banana! You can see it peeking above the other plants on the right.

Thumbnail by

Aaaargh! There you go tormenting me with those dahlias again... LOL!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Yeah, Melissa - what is the name of the Dahlia in your "hot" bed?

It's Dahlia coccinea. And we wannnnnts it, precious, yessss we doesssss... >:D

Ack!

"Dahlia coccinea 'Red'
Not Currently
In Production"

*banging head on desk*

I have a nice red one that is toward the front of the photo. I can collect seed from this one if anyone wants some. They are very, very easy from seed and bloom the first year. I likewise, I will probably lift this tuber and take a look at how big it is come fall. At that point, maybe there will be enough to divide.

Beautiful picture, Melissa, of a beautiful garden.

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Lovely picture Pixy! Beautiful banana, but I just love that bed overall...as a matter of fact, it was my very favorite of all of your beds. If you are successful with seeds from the dahlia, I would love to have a few. I have not tried any of the taller ones from seed, but have always had wonderfull success with the border ones.

Melissa, I think you already know I want seeds. Or a division. Or a tiny scrap of root. LOL! I'm positively sprung over those flowers. :)

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Me too, please. I tried to root the cutting I took, but had no luck. Dang.

Love your banana!!!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Here is my first banana, planted this summer. It is by the hot tub.

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I got a little bite from the banana bug, and bought this little guy a few days ago.

Lynn is that a Musa Bajoos or a different variety?

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

That same bug but me twice.
Here is Musella lasiocarpa - Golden Lotus Banana. It is supposed to get a big yellow flower

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

The tag came off, but I think it is a Musa bajoos. I will have to go look at the receipt. It is so full, just short and very pot pound.
Here is my poor little Gunnera. At least it is still alive!

I love those Chinese yellow bananas. I have already killed one but I will allow myself 2 more tries.

Watch out for that Gunnera it will get huge!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Is it that tender? How long did you have yours? Tag says Zone 7

i am working on my Tropical Area

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Will the Gunnera transplant easily if it gets too big for its space?

I would be careful with the gunnera The plant becomes massive and mine doesn't look movable..........a chunk can be cut off but unless I have a backhoe I wouldn't even think about moving it

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 7:28 PM

Lynn-That Garden bed looks beautifull!!

I love all the bananas!! Lynn, that is looking great! I will save seeds from the red dahlia coccinea. I need to plant my m. lasiocarpa, but I haven't decided where yet. Guess I better get busy.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thankyou everyone for the compliments. The Tropical area is becoming my favorite spot right now. But then, isn't the latest spot you are concentrating on, your favorite spot? I even moved my PNW Rock collection over there. Really though, this lets me incorporate my fondness for bamboo, big leaves, and bright colors. Next year I am going to add some Love Lies Bleeding, and maybe something blue. What do you think? I am also thinking of adding some flagstone in front of the bench because I DO NOT WANT to mow there anymore. (Don't tell Joey, he likes his little patches of grass.)

Men and their grass. Pfffffft.

I love the tropical bed, Lynn. Now I have the urge to do one, too. Maybe in the spring I'll try to start one. :)

I'm so pleased with my latest plant find: a big red banana for 50% off at Portland Ave. Nursery. I'll have to overwinter it indoors, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Congratulations on your great find! Post a picture, we need to see it!

Okay, here is a photo. Where else but the 'hot bed'?

Hey, Lynn, when you were last here you wanted to take cuttings of all my coleus and then we forgot to do it. It's getting to be that time. Do you still want cuttings?

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.