September is here with a chill in the air Part 2

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

we came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033249/

We are a group of friends that welcome new friends across the globe. Come join our fun & intersting forum!

Ric - I'm so sorry to hear about Pebble.

.7 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 71 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft
Overcast 6000 ft

Today
Patchy fog early in the morning. Mostly cloudy with chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 85. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.

Pink Flame Jacobina is popping!

This message was edited Sep 13, 2009 8:20 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What an interesting bloom Sharon.
It looks like you could bunch them together and have a Dahlia.... or Football Mum..... lol!

Looks like we've entered the Fall phase of the year finally.
After a rainy cool Summer, great for flowers horrible for Veggies, we're getting dry hot days and cool nights.
Temps in the upper low 80's days, nights in the mid/upper 50's, low, for us, humidity.
I just walked outside. It's currently 57° but standing in the Sun you can already feel the burn.
Very early Winter AZ or Southern CA in feel.
Going for 80.

I didn't know Pebble well thru most of my time here at DG but we spoke over the years.
I especially loved reading her posts about life in Turkey.
She arranged the first RU in that Country and loved loved her life there.

Recently I 'met' her and we became closer on the Health Forum.
I've lost too many Friends from brain cancer.
I knew many of the phases she would be going through and tried to help her keep her confidence up.
Sad to see such a strong vital bubbly women have to go thru this.
I will say that w/ the help of her Friends and Family she stayed confident and strong to her last post.
I hope her passing is brief and calm.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Keeping Pebble and all in my thoughts today. So sad for you, Ric, and sad for her family.

75.8 °F with 85º for the high with a 30% chance of rain.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.78 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 °F
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: So sorry to hear about Pebble.
Kiska: cute photo of Tobin and his little brother. Glad Tobin and the rest of the family are better.
Pretty butterfly Sharon!
I saw my first Painted Lady of the season this week but it wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a photo.

It rained off and on all night and into the morning. Not raining now but still overcast. It's cooler today and not so humid so it is really beginning to feel like fall. However, knowing our Arkansas weather, we could still have some hot days in store! LOL

itsy bitsy spider--It is black and silver, but very tiny. It is in the upper right corner on the flower stem.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

forgot the photo--LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Finally a day that is not hot

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:10 PM PDT on September 13, 2009
73 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 55 °F
Wind: 7 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

DH is being sued by the people with whom he had an accident two years ago, so things are glum around here.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry to hear about that, Kelli! Sure hope everything turns out okay for you and your DH.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I just heard from Vic on the Health Forum.
Pebble passed away this afternoon.

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, Kelli... I would be glum, too! I'll be praying that everything can be worked out quickly and right-ly.

I'm sorry to hear about Pebble, too.

We've had a bit over an inch of rain this week, which has been VERY nice. We're still under moderate drought conditions, so every little bit helps! There's a 20-30% chance of rain every day this week, and the highs are only going to be in the 80s!!! And the Texans lost their first football game... Fall really IS here! LOL

We've had a busy but good weekend, and are looking forward to a busy week. On Thursday the big bunny is going to have her first filling. Ugh. Both of the girls have hypoplasia, which means the enamel on their teeth didn't form correctly for some reason, so they are going to get their permanent molars sealed on Thursday, too. It'll be expensive, but worth it, I hope.

Speaking of the bunnies, I need to shoo them off to bed. Good night!

(Zone 7a)

I'm feeling for you, Ric. It's never and easy thing to hear of a friend passing.

Kelli, I don't know what to say. It's not an easy thing to go through something like that, either. We're with you.

An overcast day today. 85º-ish. We took a trip about 35 from home to pick up some free rocks.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Ric, so very sad for you and all of Pebble's family and friends.

67.1 °F with 79º and 60% chance of thunderstorms.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 46 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.87 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Across the street from where we got the rocks was this house. I really liked it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

We have a doozy of a storm going on. The wind blew the arbor over again and broke it.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Free is always good, Celia! The people who own that house should have all kinds of good luck with all those horseshoes to hold it (the luck, that is) LOL
stay safe in the storm!

It's been overcast and "drizzly" all day and cooler. Currently 70F.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Bright sun, 80º.
Lovely fall day.
Started digging Gladiolus corms today.
Also took the rotary mower to a bunch of weeds & done beans & other spent veggies.
The last picking of pickling cucumbers. Vines were pulled & piled as we went. I will burn them after they get dry.
Had the help clean out & redo one greenhouse. It is a small one & next year it will be all tomatoes. I plan on getting them in early, so I can sell ripe ones by June 1.
I built a couple more strawberry boxes. 12 more to go to get that house full. Strawberries are bigger than ever. I never had berries like this when planted in the ground.
An article in greenhouse grower magazine tells about growing in earth boxes inside a greenhouse. Farm is selling at a Farmers Market.
http://www.greenhousegrower.com/magazine/?storyid=2550
Well back to work.
Bernie

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

HI, guys! Days have been too short for me la tely and I miss posting and chatting with you guys! I'll post a few pics from my garden and will comment tomorrow.
Yesterday was cloudy and quiet, no wind, 80.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

That were DS and DH having a father to son chat!LOL
My tomatoes.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Salvias, zinnias and petunias are still blooming.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Impatiens

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Expecting lots of aster blooms!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

It finally stopped raining for now.

Yes, Mau, free IS good! LOL

Adina, we miss you, too! You yard and gardens look so wonderful.

Rann? How you are you doing?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Celia – I guess it’s time for the Canada Geese to migrate or are they year round for you? Love the pic!
Kelli – {{{Hugs}}} being sent your way. I’ll be praying that everything works out for you.
Marylyn – I didn’t know you could get teeth permanently sealed. I’ll have to let a friend of mine know. Her daughter’s teeth have the same problem.
Celia – Oh no…I hope the only damage is to the arbor. I hate when things like that happen.
Adina – Your tomatoes!!! WoW!!!
Celia - Pretty sky :)

78.6 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 66 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 72. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Low 72??? I'll take it!

Boo to the right...skink to the left looking at Boo through the window!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Lucky skink that Boo wasn't outside! LOL
Adina: we do miss you when you aren't here--and the others, too! Gorgeous salvia!
Celia--your sky looks similar to ours--but it has stopped raining here, too--for now. 60% chance of rain tomorrow though.

(Zone 7a)

The wind is kicking up again and raining. No damage except to the arbor. It bracketed everything and busted near the bottom.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

ric~condolences to the family and those who knew her~
kelli~hopefully this too will pass w/out too much stress.
Tobin went to school today~ all's well. The photo of he and his brother; yes, he got a trophy for practice time. He was so excited about that, too.
I'll be gone for a month; but hope to check in from time to time..
Enjoy the fall season~it's a favorite.
It'll be winter when we return::(((

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yikes Celia!
We were putting one up as yours was coming down.

Adina that's a Riot of Color! Gorgeous!

Sharon, Emmit caught a lizard today!
We released it near the pond.

I just learned a few minutes ago that Patrick Swayze lost his battle w/ Pancreatic Cancer.
Tough fight I will say that!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Dang!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm so sorry about your arbor, Celia!!!

Ric, I'm so sorry for your friend, my condoleances to the family. I heard about Patrick Swayze too, such a loss for all of us... Love your new pond!
Kelli, I'm sorry for the lawsuit, keep us posted.
Celia, very strong wind, wow! Everything else OK? Gorgeous sky!
Sharon, how cute Boo and the skink! My doggies are eating lizards from the field!LOL
Mau, grrr... I hate spiders and I also have lots of them...grrr again!LOL
Rann, beautiful colored leaves! How are you and your family? Any new job for your DH?
Jackie, have a great time on your vacation and don't forget us! Wonderful view of the mountains!
Marylyn, poor bunnies, they must be very brave! Give them a hug from me!
A strong wind has blown last night, but not that bad to do some damage. It was good though because it blew away the clouds. It's only 64 now, but it'll warm up to 81 later.
Zephyrantes candida just blooming. I'm writing an article about the plant and they are lots of species. This is a picture I took last year, but I'll take lots this year for the article. It was supposed to be ready 2 months ago, but with the garden all summer I didn't have time and energy for it...ugh!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

More rain today. 78º for the high.

We got 2 pieces of news yesterday. Darrell's mom's house is FINALLY going on the market on Thursday.

And...(drum roll)...my daughter is going to have a baby!!! She is due May 3, 2010.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 5a)

Congratulations Celia!! so happy for you and your daughter :-) Too bad about the arbour.

Ric - so sad about Pebble, condolences to friends and family

Kiska - have a good trip!

Kelli - so sorry about the law suit .. how awful. Sure hope things turn out in your favor.

We're getting by, slowly adjusting. Don't think anything will happen on the job front anytime soon. DH has been looking into taking some courses in the University in the mean time .... unfortunately he was laid off just a tad too late to enlist for the fall semester ......

Now for the weather ... seems it's been windy for many of you, same here. Very blustery today and yesterday. Few rain showers today, more rain yesterday. High around 50°F. Fall is here. I'm already dreading having to buy new snow boots for the girls ..... don't really want to know how expensive they are now, it was bad enough last fall.

Hope you're all well!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Celia, congratulations for your daughter! You're going to be a grandma!
Rann, don't loose hope! Good things happen to good people! I'm sure your DH will find a job soon. (((Hugs)))
Here's a sunrise to cheer you up and give you hope for a new begining.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Congratulations, Celia and a bummer about the trellis. Can you fix it?

I hope things go well for the bunnies, Marylyn. That sounds like a good thing if it works.

It's supposed to get hot again later this week. I'd send you some, Rann, if I could.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on September 15, 2009
81 °F
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 56 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the East
Pressure: 29.94 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 °F
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Thanks for the encouragement and prayers. The car insurance company takes over now. For whatever reason, those people never settled with the insurance company. I don't know what makes them think a guy driving a 10-year-old Geo has any kind of money.

(Zone 7a)

Kelli, I haven't commented on this because I never know what to say. It's awful that they think they can get more than they deserve. Good luck to your DH and you.

Rann, good the hear from you. Very pretty foliage.

That's o.k. if you don't know what to say. I don't really know what to say, either. It's all new to me.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

They aren't worried about how much money You have...
they want a quick settlement from your insurance company.
Some Phone Book or Bus Stop Bench lawyer is probably representing them.
Pretty common.

Rann good to hear from you!
Can your Husband maybe petition the University for admission?

Celia double Congrats and Congrats to your DD.

We are definitely into Indian Summer.
Temps near 80 and Sunny. Nights upper 50's and hazy.

Here's Begonia grandis AKA Hardy Begonia.

Ric

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Some people are just money-hungry, Kelli, and they think that just because you have insurance that they can collect a bundle! I got news for them--they are wrong!
I'll be praying for you that justice will be served on the side of right.

Kiska: have a great vacation-- a month's worth--wow!

Celia: so sorry about the arbor but so glad there was no further damage. Congratulations on becoming a grandma--have you thought of a "grandma name" for yourself yet?

Marylyn, let us know how everything goes for the bunnies and their teeth procedure.

Ric, the big dipper has enough pups that I can share a few with my Mid-South gardening friends at our RU in October! :o)) nice begonia!

Adina: beautiful sunrise and also the flower.

Rann: pretty flower in your photo, too. Any chance of Iceland having a "mild" winter this year? If so, it should help with heating bills, etc.

I was able to get outside for about two hours and do some weeding this morning before the rain came back. A stagnant area of low pressure will keep much of the South under the threat of showers and thunderstorms. We are expecting rainshowers again on Wed. and Thursday. Enough already! (are we ever satisfied with the amount of rainfall we receive or don't receive? LOL)

This photo of a Don Juan rosebud was taken at dusk with a flash just before the rain started again last night.

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: I hate spiders, too, but unless they are poisonous like the Black Widow or Brown Recluse, I will leave them alone unless they are in my house. Then I have no mercy on them regardless of what kind of spider they are!!!

I found another little spider on the Green Eyes echinacea last evening. It was still there this morning, in spite of the rain. Something is eating holes in the leaves of the echies, as you can tell--probably slugs--ugh!!

This message was edited Sep 15, 2009 9:16 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Mau, I think I will have him/her call me "Móraí" (MO ree). It's what the Irish kids call grandma. Smarty Darrell suggested the Russian, "babushka".

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 12:02 AM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

How about the Greek..... You could be Yaya Celia

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, Moree is pretty but I definitely think Darrell is right--they should call you "babushka" or maybe "Bushy" for short--joke, joke! :o))) At any rate, no matter what you want them to call you, if they can't pronounce the word, they will come up with something entirely different. For instance, my aunt's name was Kathryn. When my older sister started talking, she couldn't say Kathryn--it came out as Tattee (pronounced like tattoo only with the long "e" sound). All 3 of us called her Tattee until she died and we still refer to her that way. :o))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.