Am I going to have to kill my Hubby??

Lexington, KY(Zone 6A)

We just bought our house last year and as a housewarming gift, my Grandpa rooted the Hydrangea he had from my Great-Grandmother's house and gave it to me as a gift. When he gave it to me, it was about 4 inches tall. I planted it, I loved it and I nurtured it. It rewarded me with one big beautiful bloom and lots of growth.
One day I go shopping and hubby decides it will be a good day to spray Weed-B-Gon on the lawn. Two days later, one whole side of the hydrangea is dead. I cut off that area, will the plant survive or will this be my husband's demise??
He eagerly awaits your reply.
Angie

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL angie - I think I would kill him and refuse to buy weed killer again. What a shame!! I don't know much about chemicals but if the product you mention is systemic then the whole plant would be killed. If not - then maybe you might just save it, but I wouldn't bank on it. Try cutting it back to a pair of healthy, undamaged buds if you can.

Germantown, MD(Zone 7a)

Can you cut off a piece of healthy growth and try rooting it again. They do root easily? I am not sure how the weed killer works. I am sure your hubby feels terrible. But you feel even worse. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Cordova, MD

That's a great idea, Ree... it seems to me that hydrangeas root fairly easily- it's about the only plant I can root successfully right now.... give it a try, angie, and please let us know!!!
I wouldn;t go a kill your DH yet........ make him buy you LOADS of other plants you want to make up for it!! LOL!!
-JSS

New Hope, AL(Zone 7a)

Let me know how you are going to take care of your husband!

My husband sprays, tils or weed-eats lots of plants around here. I have finally learned, that is my excuse to TRADE and to PLANT MORE!! Yeaaah!!

Now on the serious side, I know that this plant is special! Maybe you can root a limb.

My son, who lives next door decided to weed-eat around my mailbox while I was gone one day. He has never done that before!! He does alot of weed-eating for me but he thought the plants growing up my mailbox were weeds. Well, guess what, it was "blooming" hummingbird vine! My mailbox is surrounded by a rather large flower garden, so he should have known this plant was flowers or should have asked before he did the damage. ALSO, I had the plant there the year before. He said he had never seen it there before and thought it was weeds. Anyway, luckily there were smaller seeds that had germinated and were still coming up!

As we get older, we learn patience. If we really like to garden and plant, it is just another excuse to plant!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL! If you decide to kill him make sure all the weed killer is washed off him before you plant him in the garden! Otherwise he may kill again!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Have you killed your hubby, or did the plant root for you??? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

This message was edited Friday, Feb 1st 1:57 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.