Wanted: Ceropegia sandersonii aka Parachute plant

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

This is the one I am wanting:

http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Ceropegia_sandersonii.htm

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd like one too .. if you by any chance find seeds for it out of country I have small lot seed permit from usda so we could get them with no problems.

X

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

me too think this plant is so cool looking.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

This plant is fairly common in cacti and succulent catalogs.

You might want to check Grigsby's, in Vista, CA, or Arid Lands in Tuscon, AZ. You could also do a Google name search along with "mail order" and it should pull up sites that have the plant for sale. You might also check eBay as well.
Good luck

Thanks - checked the three suggestions you listed - if I lived in New Zealand, I could buy them easily, but no one has them here in the good old US of A!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Me too .. I check ebay regularly .. those places that do "have it" are always out of stock.

X

This message was edited Sep 17, 2009 4:37 PM

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Here is a link to Bob Smoley's Gardenworld. Bob lists C. sandersonii for $3.00 Not sure if this is a plant or a cutting, but either way the price is right.

Actually, Bob has 13 different ceropegias and all are pretty cool.

http://www.bobsmoleys.com/c-d.html

Good luck,
Mike

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Mike .. that guys site has never come up in any of my searches! He has some neat stuff as well but an unfortunate background for his lists .. makes them very hard to read.

X

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

no kidding! my eyes about fell out of my head reading it..I would have made a comment to him, but I couldn't take it anymore ! LOL

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

When i get to sites like that I do control a and it highlights everything.

X

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for that tip!

Thank you SO MUCH! I will be ordering from Bob Smoley!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

oh yes, that's much better

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh dear .. that poor guy won't know what hit him now that dave's has found him.

X

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oddly, on the same day I discovered the parachute vine a couple of weeks ago here at DG, my friend Wayne from zone9 came over that evening for a glass of wine, and I asked him what this weird vine was that was growing out of another plant he had given me...I about fell out of my chair because it turned out to be a parachute vine. I had no clue.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah I remember you mentioning that .. if yours decides to have babies let me know .. also, I finally got beaumontia grandiflora cuttings to root .. I now have 8 plants that will be ready to fly in about 6 weeks .. want to make sure they have really good roots before I let them leave the nest.

X

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

okay..in fact this is a good time for rooting. I'm about to go on a major pruning ramage this weekend..so I think I'll make a couple of cuttings.

I think the parachute vine is going to bloom. I've notices some nodes enlarging on it, so am keeping an eye on it. I have no idea though what the blooms look like when they are first coming out.. it's a very curious vine. doesn't need much water...I have it on the fence with the orchids...

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

You're welcome! Glad to help out.

Bob's list background on my computer screen is just grey with a bit of texture, but it isn't hard to read, to my eyes, anyway. I have a mac so maybe that's why? I wouldn't think that a mac would make any difference at all, though.

Happy ordering, everyone!
Mike

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I do graphics & 3d rendering and a fancy vid card with high res .. i see EVERYTHING

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm glad to have found this thread! Has anyone ordered from that website yet?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think Kay did.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

while I have you here...
any special tips on the red jade plant? It survived the winter and is doing pretty good. I was just going to fertilize some stuff, but have left that alone...any thoughts?

Yes, Randy, I have some thoughts on the red jade vine - you can root me some cuttings and sell them to me!!!!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

It's getting kind of late in the season to be fertilizing now. You're in TX so maybe you have quite a bit of growing season left, but here in the North, things are winding down and fertilization has pretty much stopped for the season. If you have not fertilized at all this year, then give the plants a light fertilization using half the recommended rate on the fertilizer package.

As a rule, weakly, weekly is how a person should fertilize their plants. Use a quarter to half the rate on the fertilizer container and water with this mixture every time you water your plants. If any plant dies out really bad, then water with plain water first to moisten the root system and then give the weak fertilizer solution the next day.
HTH.
Mike

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Mike,
for the most part I use a dry alfalfa pellet that has molasses, fish emulsion, cotton seed extract for most of the garden.
The Jade vines are persnickity when it comes to putting stuff on them, so I usually leave them alone, but I think it's coming up on it's blooming season and I know Rob has grown red jade to bloom..so was picking her brain as she has some good techniques for the larger vines.
Our growing season slows down in November. In fact we are just now planting vegetables because they don't tolerate the heat very well here.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Oh dude, you've got a red jade RJ! SO COOL! Let us know how it does for you...

If anyone has purchase from that ceropegia website, let us know...I went nuts with that guys variety! (by the way, I also got dizzy looking at the background, lol)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

any advice?

RE the parachute vine...I'm wondering if some of those nodes on the back of the leaf fall off and grow. I found a sprout growing in the crack of the deck, and it looked just like the parachute vine did when it volunteered in the pot it's in.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have this plant and it was loaded with parachutes, how do you get seeds? I kept looking at the plant but found nothing.

Doris

Mine has seed pods on it - don't know if they will mature before falling off, but I am hopeful.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I wrote to the company sugesting that they change the background.

Doris

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Forget the seeds, just snip off a node with the little root bumps and you'll have more vines.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.