Help for a *Living Fence/Screen*

Dahlonega, GA

You need to match your roof and ceiling line . Any other way wouldn't look right plus a lot of unnecessary work . Match the shingles and if dh doesn't know how to weave the new shingles into existing ones , PLEASE hire a pro to do that job . You won't be sorry .
I do thank God every day for keeping my son safe for me . (and his family , they are so close ). I have you going on two threads . digger

Cartersville, GA

Dusty, I'll be in touch next week and see what day is good for you.

Doris

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Terrific Doris!!! Just about any day is fine...Since I have no vehicle yet, I'm always home unless my neighbor takes me somewhere, but I did all my shopping on Wednesday so I'm good to go...LOL
I can't wait to meet you !!!

Sally...I am strongly considering the metal roof rather than shingles..I have been ever since I decided to cover it...I am not going to put a ceiling on mine, and there will definitely be a ceiling fan out there...I have one that I have been saving from the Habitat store up north for that very purpose...

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Oooh, Dusty. Rain on a metal roof. Set me up a lounge chair. I'll be right there! LOL

Judy

How bout a hammock??? ROFLLL

Dahlonega, GA

Love the re store . They had beautiful notty pine cabinets and upper shelves the last time I was there , also an island . It must have been a hugh kitchen , so many of them .
I love the metal roof .
BTW , where in the heck is Sugar Valley ? digger

Sugar Valley is 6.2 miles due west of Cartersville...I am south of Hwy 20 going to Rome by about 5 miles...

My re store here stinks...It looks more like the Salvation Army, with clothing, jewelery, furniture, bric-a-brac etc...VERY little in the way of building stuff except lighting fixtures...I was sorely disappointed...I was so hoping to find kitchen cabinets, since I don't need that many of them...I was also looking for ceramic tile for my bathroom tub surround...Nada..

Sally... Did you see that grass type plant I posted above?? Any idea what it is??

This message was edited Sep 18, 2009 9:23 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Hammock will work just fine LOL. I'll bring the sweet tea! Even though my porch doesn't have a tin roof, I still like to sit out there in the rain. I know you will enjoy yours when you get it finished.

Judy

Cartersville, GA

Dusty, I'll Dmail you next week when I see how my week is going. Be thinking how many you want. While it is still rainy will be a good time to transplant the clematis.

Doris

Good Morning!!!!
It has been raining here for over an hour now..That put a stop to getting my steps put on...It is supposed to rain all the way through next week...
but then they said that about this week too, and we had 3 dry days...

Doris, any day that is good for you will be fine...I will be here...

Judy, you are more than welcome to come anytime too...Everyone is!!!
There is a gallon of sweet tea in the fridge at all times...Lemonade too....

Dahlonega, GA

Hah ! Just spotted Sugar Vally on my map , but it has it on hwy136-c , just n e of Calhoun .This is nuts!

Dahlonega, GA

I don't have a clue about the grass plant . digger

It is some kind of ornamental... There is a subdivision south of town on 113 Hwy that has that and Pampas and fountain grass on either side of the entry....but I have also seen it here and there along my road...

There are 2 roads out from town going west that are south of hwy 20 and north of hwy 113...they are Mission Rd, and Sugar Valley Rd...I'm just east of the Etowah river, south of Sugar Valley Rd... If you google 30120 zip code and look west of town you should be able to see it...

I got an ID on it...Giant Reed or Arundo Donax, and is invasive...

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Try the variegated form of Arundo donax - it is well behaved and very desirable. I ordered some from White Flower Farms years ago and it has never been a problem. Plant Delights Nursery has another form of it that is supposed to retain its variegation all season.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/06677.html

The variegation looks best early in the year (this one is from late May this year).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Thanks but, No thanks...I don't want any form of that plant...I was just trying to ID it for a DG friend in KY...Yours is lovely in the variegated form, but I do not want any grasses at this point...Least of all, something that may take over when I am dead and gone...

When I am dead and gone then it would be someone else's problem if it is a problem at all. I wish I could get it to mutliply faster than it does.

At our last house I had a beautiful acnistus I grew from seed - (it is now moved to the iochroma family) and supposedly not hardy in GA but it became a nice woody shrub in the front yard with hundreds of tiny blue bells every spring. If I had known the new owners were going to remove it I would've dug it up and brought it to our new house. Oh well, such is life.

Here are two nice ornamental grasses in full bloom. The variegated one is floppy though.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Dahlonega, GA

Hey , Dusty , I've had a case of Oldtimers here lately , as DH has too . The plant I was trying to think of for a privacy screen is the Layland Cypress . It is so common , a lot of people have gotten away from it , but it will , in about eight years , completely screen your yard . It can be topped when it gets taller than you want , but consider it . digger

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger,
That's what I did on one side. Here they are after being planted about 2 years. They were about 2 feet high when planted. They are not that expensive and can be purchased in varying heights, depending on your pocketbook.

Judy

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Dahlonega, GA

Judy , my dsteps was going to raise them to sell and against my advise , planted them in the ground instead of buckets . They are 10-12' tall now and would have to be dug with a backhoe . Also has Arizona cypress . If anyone wanted to get some Cheap ones , he's in Dawsonville . digger

Cartersville, GA

Dusty, you have a Dmail.

Doris

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Look above to see my opinion of Leyland Cypress. We have many in our neighborhood, desperate for privacy screening, who planted these years ago. They are non-native, weak, and easily diseased. They grow like crazy for years are, I admit, guaranteed to give you a privacy screen in a relatively short time and then they start keeling over or looking unwell. We have several friends who have spent huge amounts of money having their over-turned, dieing or dead, Leylands removed. I think they are on the list of obnoxious pollen producers as well. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think I'm usually overly opinionated here (though I admit to going off on the post about grass) but still I think this tree, which may be perfect in the Pacific N.W., looks all wrong in Georgia. It's a cheap investment that might cost you if you are looking long term.

Consider me on a tear here...but what's with all the banana trees (including weird variegated or burgundy-leaved versions) popping up all over the city? If landscapers want to "go there" why don't they consider some okra varieties that seem a better fit? Being from S. FL, I think bananas look all wrong in Atlanta. I don't want to go ice skating on S. Beach either. Okay, I'm standing down from the soap box. Next.
Laurel

Dahlonega, GA

I get such a chuckle out of your ranting and raveings Maypop . You know more about them than I do, so rave on .Ice skating on S Beach , how funny . Maybe you'll save a lot of moola and sweat later on ,for somebody. I didn't know all that about them .

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh gosh. Guess I better go out in the yard and guard my Leyland Cypresses lest Maypop come down here and trash them! LOL

I agree with her on the tropicals, though, and hate "fads" in plants and trees. I get what I need and what I like, no matter if it's the "in" plant or not! I'll take timeless over trendy any day!

Leylands do grow fast but if that's what folks want then that's what they'll get. Three decades ago it was red tip photinias that were all the rage (and most of them got some kind of disease and virtually disappeared). I think Bradford pears are over planted but what the heck - what's perfect for some is a pain for others.

Not sure about Leylands producing a lot of pollen though - never seen many bearing cones or whatever they produce. We had two at our last house and I had to cut the tops out a few times and finally got tired of that chore so I cut them to the ground and solved that problem. Arborvitaes would be a better selection since they have the same shape, grow a lot slower, and seem easier to manage. Cryptomerias are another good choice but get the smaller varieties since some can become huge trees over time.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

We won't tell Maypop that I also have a mimosa tree in my back yard. Shhhhh. Not a word, now.

Oh, Mimosas! I used to love them but have since spent years drilling and filling stumps with toxic waste. They are the wisteria of trees. They take you in with their feathery finery, delicate beauty and gorgeous flowers. As if this is not enough, they attract the most amazing hummers, bees and wasps. Then they suddenly up and die (though not completely). Dylan Thomas must have grown them when he wrote, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Night". Those roots hang on for years while your flying over them with the tiller.Their death throe mode requires going into birthing mode and spreading seed everywhere. The seed is 110% viable. I love the Mimosa, but don't turn your back on it. It's very invasive. I've got some tales that could be titled "Mimosa Memories" if I could just get rid of it (which I can't). It haunts me.

I'm not knowledgeable about greens (evergreens that is). Hcmcdole post has information about evergreens as well as comments on popular past planting faux paus. For the record, I'm not anti all non-natives, but they should be a good fit to the landscape. Folks who are interested in bargain solutions to garden landscape challenges should not feel called out. There are others who have spent lots on plants and still plant things that look, in my opinion, ridiculous. I'm guilty of this myself, and not just once, but numerous times. Of course, this is my opinion. I respect yours too.
Laurel

Miz Laurel.. you are very wrong about Mimosas...Ask me how I know...LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I love them. Maybe one day I won't. But right now I do. They are representative of some of my fondest childhood memories ... lying in a hammock in a grassy yard surrounded by pine, hickory, buckeye, dogwood and mimosa trees ... on the outskirts of a little town called East Point ... back in the early 1940s. Ah ... the good old days.

ROFL Judy... Your day is coming....when you have to pull 90 bazillion seedlings coming up everywhere including your gutters...I love-d them too until I just had to deal with ones seeds this past spring....Laurel is wrong...the seeds are 1000% viable....LOL..And my book would be titled **My Mimosa Nightmares...a trip into the Nether Regions**

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Nah. They are at least 100 feet from my house (more than that from any other house), on the edge of the woods in back. The prevailing winds usually come from the north, west, and sometimes from the south, and blow any seeds back into the woods. Only a rare wind from the east would blow seeds into my yard, which is mowed regularly. If they give me a problem, I will take them down. But for now, I love them.

Now if I could just keep my neighbors' sweet gum trees from blowing those dad-blasted sweet-gum balls into my yard ... those suckers are hazardous to your health. Like walking on marbles!

Dahlonega, GA

Judy , those roots will reach you some day and sprout up, up , up . digger

The next time I'm at Maypop, I'm going to photograph our Mimosa nightmare. We closed the place up for three years and when we came back the big one had died and seeded into the garden; up and down the hillside too. We cut them down to the ground two years in a row. Big mistake! They came back with a vengeance all growing season and with renewed fervor each following spring. By year five the stumps, now with many branches, were quite large. Determined to rid us of Mimosa plague, DH cut them once more and drilled out the stumps; then poured brush RoundUp in all Mimosas outside the garden area. Some still survived. It is now several years later and seedlings still come up. We are vigilant about weeding them. That said, I do think they are beautiful and allow a few here and there on the property. Our original tree, about twenty feet tall and fifteen in diameter, used to take on a life of its own when hundreds of hummingbirds covered the blooms daily.

Dahlonega, GA

Maypop , you remember how I hated to go through Ark to my house ? always having to mow and rake and clean up ? The biggest work was trying to kill 10' mimosas from all over the place . When you can get through only once a year , it's a nightmare for sure . I think I told you I sold it in June . Well , not ladylike , but when we pulled out of the driveway , I flipped it a birdie. Don't EVER have to go back there . Also , ex lived next door until he died two years ago . digger

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, Digger, if you ever read a story in the AJC about an old lady strangled in her sleep by creeping Mimosa roots, you'll know it's me! LOL

Maypop, would love to see your pictures. If mine ever turns into a nightmare, I'll just have to deal with it. But there are so many around here it doesn't seem to be that way.

Dahlonega, GA

Judy , come visit me anytime , but darlin , please wipe your feet at the county line . LOL . digger

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Digger,
You don't want me to bring you some of my pretty little pink, poufy flowers? I'm crushed!

Dahlonega, GA

They are beautiful , but Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll never have to look at them or redbuds again .One is as bad as the other . D

Ah Sally, you had birdies around your Mimosa too? LOL

Dahlonega, GA

Yup ! The only thing I'll miss is the giant white perch we caught in spring and winter .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.