Help for a *Living Fence/Screen*

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

I need some down Home advice on some type of tree/shrub that will be very fast growing, dense, and hopefully get up over 10 feet + tall...Taller is even better...

I looked at Russian Olive and Siberian Elm....Both are hardy in this zone...I am not all that fond of Arborvitae, and I don't want Juniper or Cedar on that north fence...

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions??

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Burford holly. It might take some research to find Burfords, but worth the effort. Mine have created a perfect screen, are 99% maintenance free and cardinals love the berries. What could be more perfect? I've got hedgerows of Burford in Atlanta if you'd like to try cuttings. You can come and look at them in place at two locations. LMK. Nellie Foster, another holly, has become more popular and more available in recent years. I have four, ten year old Nellies, in pots on our decks. It's smaller leaved, conical and more formal looking. Though the nurseries push these for hedging, I think they are better suited as single specimen plants, unless you want a sideyard that looks like a holly version of a picket fence.

There are hedging-type Euonymous, but they are not low temp reliable and more susceptible to bugs and mildews in hot weather.

Please don't let anyone talk you into Leyland cypress. For a hundred reasons as to why not, just Google. I try not to be opinionated on DG, but Leyland cypress, and crepe myrtles are plants that should be banned from GA.. Lawns, with real grass (as opposed to anything that voluntarily sprouts and pretends it is grass, are on my list too. Okay, now I've been contentious and might raise some comment. Still, I'm standing fast.
L

Hi Laurel....I did see those Hollys...That Nellie is said to grow taller than the Burford...Thank you for the recommendation...I need something to completely screen the lot next door...In 4 years, I could have 15 feet of screen...that would be ideal!! I found liners at $1.75 for a quantity of 10 to 49...What would be an ideal planting space for those?

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Dusty,
I'm looking to do the same thing. Grow a thick hedge in a short time and I am considering eleagnus or Silver Berry. The nursery owner where I do most of my shopping says they are tough as nails, fast growing, and virtually maintenance free. She says they use them on freeways because they are so tough. There is a hedge of it on the divided highway between Fairburn and Peachtree City and it is HUGE, THICK and very attractive. I live in Newnan just south of Atlanta.

Here's some information which you may find helpful.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/E/elaeag_p.cfm

If anyone has any negatives about this shrub, please tell me.

Judy

Dusty, I don't understand your last few sentences. What are liners? I like the Burfords best because they have been completely maintenance free for the ten years we have had our hedgerow planted. The Nellies are not as easy and I'm surprised to hear they get taller than Burford. We originally planted seven, 6' tall, balled and burlaped Burfords, six feet apart (recommended space) behind an eight foot high stone retaining wall. So, we are looking up at them in our driveway. They touched by year four or five and were about nine feet tall then. I like that they are very full on the bottom as well as the top (since I'm ;looking up at them in my driveway). Though not on the list of fastest growing, they have been an absolute no-brainer regarding care. They were expensive, but worth it.

I don't care for Silver Berry. Notice half its common names include "thorny". The thorns are huge and fierce. It sends out long shoots with ever increasing thorns for you to deal with all growing season. We had them at our first home and, aside from attracting mealy bugs and spider mites, they were difficult to eradicate. If I remember correctly, there were also issues with rust on this plant. They needed to be pruned almost as often as the lawn needed mowing.

I'm adding some eleganus to my garden in the next little while. Many cultivars have edible berries, and yes, they are thorny which is what attracts me personally. I gotta have some security here in this part of the city :)
Autumn Olive is considered an invasive and is on the Georgia Invasives list. http://www.gainvasives.org/gaweeds.cfm

ELAEAGNUS UMBELLATA is the Goumi, and is edible and not considered invasive.

I have a question for Maypop - what about Fosters Holly? I need a holly here for the background of my garden near the fence, and I want THORNS. I am looking for tall and narrower in circumference. I don't know much about holly cultivars, but I know Fosters isn't too wide in growth. Any opinions?

GGG

I'm far from a holly expert here, so I'm hoping others will give input. Seems that years ago there were Fosters and Buford (Burford is the way I learned it). I like the Buford for it's fat, succulent leaves. Then Nellie became popular. A conical holly, such as Nellie or Fosters, that grows to thirty feet might take on a strange shape if you need to top it at ten or fifteen feet. If I was living in the middle of the city I'd look around and see what holly cultivars look best. My potted Nellies have leaves that are too small to create the dense hedge being discussed. In addition, they tend to drop all their leaves if too wet or too dry. Maybe they'd do better in the ground. They are also ten years old and get re-potted every three years.

Laurel....I am inclined to go with you on the Burfords...I think that is going to be my choice...I dunno why they call them liners... but they are new saplings shipped at about 8-10 inches tall...

Here is the link to the nursery...

http://www.sunsetgrowers.com/burfordholly.php

Dusty, how much length of hedgerow do you want and what is your budget? IMO these are too small to consider. If you have a short span that needs immediate coverage, and can then run "liners", that might work. Otherwise, you'll be looking at cute sticks, no hedge, for years. Most other plant options will afford you the same result. Sadly, you just can't shove some sticks in the ground and have instant Eden. That's the way we got sold on kudzu, right? Though it wore some enamel off my teeth, I think I paid about eighty five bucks a piece for those hollies. Well worth it, but believe me, I'd not remember ten years back if it didn't pinch.

BTW, I'm offering you liner size cuttings for free. Save your money. Digger, a DG, GA gardener, is very adept with shrub propagation. Perhaps she can help. She tends to wander elsewhere here at Dave's. LMK I'll be happy to photo what I've got when in Atlanta.
L

Dahlonega, GA

Did I hear my name mentioned ? Just wandered over here after finding a little time for my own pleasure .I haven't rooted anything this year , nada . Am leaving in two weeks for Tex . No time this year for other fun things . Fastest growing thing I can think of is Confederate rose . Dies back in winter , grows back up 8' tall next year .Thicker as years go by . Good for temp . screen while perm .screen is growing in . I have all the cuttings you could want for a fence . If you want them and could come get them , let me know and I'll cut them , and put in water . I don't have any rooted to mail, and they need to be in water. Dmail you tomorrow ,Maypop . tired tonight digger

Sally, the stars must be aligning. Where have you been? I think Dusty and Judy are looking for an evergreen hedge and need help with affordable cuttings. Dusty is liking hollies. So how big a holly cutting (preferably Burford) can you root? I've got plenty to spare.

Laurel...I could root just about anything sizewise, but I still have no vehicle to get anywhere to get them...Financially, I am on fixed income, and cannot afford a 4-5' tree with as many as I will need...There is about 70' of fence that needs to be screened for sure, maybe more...At this point I would even consider Kudzu...LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

OMG! Dusty! Hush your mouth, Honey! Don't even think about Kudzu! LOL (Know you're not serious). Sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind on the Burfords and Digger has what you need.

I was only offering a suggestion when I mentioned eleagnus because that's what I had pretty much decided on, thorns and all. I had found some at Lowe's last week, about 24-30" high (don't remember the size of the container) for $16.99 each. I might be able to better that but, if not, like Maypop, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and put out what I can. I will need at least 10 and $170+ isn't going to kill me. I have a bad neighbor situation on one side and I need to either put up a privacy fence or some kind of screen to block them out. That's why I'm considering the eleagnus.

Also, my mom told me that my grandmother had eleagnus and it was one of her favorite shrubs, so it has a little sentimental value. Was also considering a six-foot chain link fence which would discourage the deer from wandering through ... at least somewhat. But I still need a screen to block the neighbors, even with the fence. Whenever I go out in my back yard, their dogs act like they're coming through the 4' chain link fence that's already there (it's theirs and is right on the property line). I can't even sit on my deck without causing a ruckus. Annoying as all get out. Also caught the two-legged critters stealing my landscaping rocks and cutting down the saplings in the woods behind my house (part of my yard). Called the cops and they stopped. Gotta do something.

Digger, you're up there where I went to school more than 50 years ago. I'm sure Dahlonega has changed since all there was was the Dixie Grill, the Cherokee Motel, the theater that played "Thunder Road" every year, and the Dairy Queen. Met my late husband there and did my student teaching at the elementary school right back down the hill going toward Dawsonville. Four good years and some good memories.

Dusty, hope you find what you need. Sounds like there's some good folks here ready to help any way they can. And thanks to all for the information about eleagnus.

Judy

Judy... My good camera died yesterday, but I will dig out my old one and show you what I am dealing with...The man is nice enough, but.....

Back in a few...

This is the view off of my brand new almost finished front porch...

This is mild...He hauled some off, but brought in 5 more loads yesterday and 3 of them went to the back...There was a huge pile there in the front of that pine tree by his drive...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

This is the view off of my upper back deck...If you look, you will see metal at the end of the wood fence...Behind that is a dog in a 10x10 pen, and behind that pen going on up to the back corner is another pen with another dog...The back dog never barks, but the front dog does, but since the man is rarely there, I have managed to befriend the dogs and get them to Hush when I ask them to, so the barking is not a problem, but that view sure is...I will try to get a pic for you through the fence of the back yard close up later on after I get dressed...I am considering calling the Fire Marshalls office...That back yard is a real fire hazzard...
But that is the fence line that I want to cover up...The cyclone is mine, and the wood part is his...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Dahlonega, GA

I promise you , I'm not trying to be funny , but did you consider selling out , or buying him out , cleaning that mess up and renting it out to the people of your choice ? You're looking at 10 yrs of that before anything gets large enough to hide it .

LOL....Noooo I am not leaving here....I just got here last month...I Love my home....The front isn't all that bad, but the back is...and it is dangerous, and he HAS been using a burn barrel, which is currently banned...Hence my thoughts on calling the fire marshall...My neighbor on the other side has an immaculate yard, and he is going to the county commissioner about this other guy, and asked me to go along...

I have another thought short of Kudzu...at least for Spring, through Fall, and that is to raise the posts on my fence, add cross wires, and put some kind of vines like Trumpet vines or Sweet Autum Clematis...You can't kill that stuff, and if it encroaches on my side, I have a nifty weed whacker to control it...At least it would help until I can get some shrubs growing...It's either that, or I get a bobcat and dig a hole for my back deck to sit down in....I already plan to put roll down shades on my front porch side, so I won't see it from there...

Dahlonega, GA

Oh , ok , I didn't snap to your name . I followed you all on the other thread with your move , and looking for a new home . Sorry 'bout that . You have really put a lot of work into the place so far . Maybe you can convince him to let you add 2x4 onto his fence to stretch the wire between, so that they might enjoy (your) blooming plants . It would be much stronger, and he can't call it a 'spite fence' later .

Sally Honey...He could care less about enjoying my flowers...He mowed around those piles in the front yesterday for the first time since I landed here on Aug 6th...Weeds were up over 4 feet high...I don't much care what he calls it, but I'm gonna find a way to fix it so I don't have to look at it one way or another...That trailer needs to be condemned, and my other neighbor and I are going to work on that angle too...Those piles of wood in the back yard scare me to death, especially with him out there burning brush etc. in that barrel...I have seen the sparks flying out of there... Thank Heaven I have insurance, but it won't replace what few treasures I have, or my dogs, and I will be homeless...That just doesn't set well with me at all...

Dahlonega, GA

Was hoping you could catch that fly with honey . If that won't work , then you have to protect your own health and welfare . Some people just don't see dirt . Makes you wonder what their momma was like .

Don't tell Sally about a condemned trailer opportunity. She might buy it. Always looking for a project, that one. LOL

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, Dusty, your problem is much worse than mine. I am so sorry you're having to deal with all that mess, in addition to all the headaches that come with a new move. Your "living" screen seems to be the best idea budget-wise but is going to take some time to give you the results you want. Maybe the county can help you find some kind of ordinance violation that will make him clean it up. I sure hope so. Worth a try, anyway.

Mine is just an annoyance and ugly. Guess I should count my blessings, huh? :-)

Judy

Dahlonega, GA

Oh , Maypop , I'm not that bad , lol ,I just like to make things better . I couldn't use that one anyway , I like deep in the woods , like you . Wish I was further off the road , like you . This is the only pic I have of my woods but you can see , Maypop likes to tease .

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

From the other side , showing some of my junk , but definitely some of my plants. The Oregan cypress on left , came home on a plane with me in a suitcase along with about four more .digger

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Sorry , the one on left wasn't in picture , but on far right you can see one . I rooted some of these year b4 last and will again next year . They will be free to anyone that wants them . They get to be BIG , and in Oregan , two people couldn't reach around them . Those were about 90 yrs old . They can be topped tho to keep smaller . digger

Sally, when did you grow that bottle tree? I love it. Can you get me a cutting? We have been pining for one for years. I'm collecting bottles, but want to use a cool, dead tree. Okay, this Miami Beach girl is having a Foxworthy moment.

Dahlonega, GA

M P that's an eight foot 4x4 with spike nails in it . There is a confederate rose behind it , but those are dead branches on it . It hadn't come up yet .I'm still looking for more blue bottles . Some came out of city garbage , garage sales and a lady I run into at liquor store . She emptied four vodka bottles over time, and saved them . I came along and took them off her hands . If you can find a cedar tree , it will work for what you want . Cement it in , dry rot will eventually get it , and don't let them tell you termites won't eat it . Dipped in melted tar will work or keep a little diesel poured around it every coupla years ,digger

Cartersville, GA

Dusty, if you decide that you want some Sweet Autumn Clematis, I will bring you some. Just let me know how many. They come up from seed here.

Doris

Thank you Doris !!....What a thought!! I could use that on the front end of the fence...

Sally....Thank you for posting those pics of yours...You just solved a dilemma for me on my new porch roof...I was debating how I wanted to do it and yours seems to be the way it needs to be done...If you have a closer shot of where your porch roof joins the house, I would be most grateful...

Drumroll Please!!...

A suspicious type car showed up next door yesterday afternoon while my son and I were getting the old ramp posts pulled...Looked all around after knocking on the door...Big Mouth me, says there is no one there...He left about 30 mins ago...I knew by his shirt that he was County...I asked if he was Building Inspector...he says no... similar...I says Fire Marshall maybe??... he says...not exactly...I says...I could only wish...If you look behind that wood fence, you will see why...He did on the one side... I says...If you look on the side over here, closest to me, you will get a better view, AND of the worst of it...He did, looked over at me, smiled, put his thumb up, and drove away...Nooooo I am NOT guilty of the phone calls, YET!!
But someone sure sent somebody out here to do something...What, I have no clue...But just maybe, they are going to force the issue of a cleanup of that lot...without me having to do a thing...That guy was NOT amused at what he saw...

Apparently this joker got the lot from the county when they no longer needed it for a storage lot while they ran the water lines, and is sort of living in that old office/storage trailer and dumping wood over there to cut and sell as firewood...He is very rarely there, but apparently the county found out he is receiving mail there as a legal residence...

Yayyyy for me...I sure hope the ball is on a mad roll!!!

Do any of y'all have a clue what this grass type plant is??

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Cartersville, GA

Dusty, send me a Dmail when you are ready for the Sweet Autumn Clematis.

Will do Doris...Though just about anytime you are ready will be fine... ;-)

Dahlonega, GA

Dusty , and all , please don't look too close at my mess . We have moved a lot of stuff out on the porch that we have packed for our trip . Dh bought a 36 gun , safe and had to move a lot of stuff out to make room to get it in . He went to pick it up just now and his boy will help him when he gets off tonight . Haven't cleaned the spider webs off in two weeks . lol digger

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

I have more

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

If we had it to do again , we would have probably put it against the trim on the roof so that we had room for a ceiling fan . Also couldn't find the roofing shingles to match the house , at the time . Bought the rafters , and made the rest of it ourselves . Should have said , taken the trim off and put it against existing roof line . (whatever you call it )

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

Another angle

Thumbnail by digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

It doesn't look like it is centered , but it is . Guess it was the way I was standing . We insulated with rolled insulation , and put the beadboard under the porch . Even under the metal roof , it's cool . I bought a swamp cooler for the porch , but only used a fan this whole summer . I love to sit out there in the rain and hear it on the roof . Makes my coffee taste better. Need to finish it with gutters . digger

Just Perfect Sally!!! Exactly what I needed to see...Thank you !!!
We have a similar roof line, so that is what I needed to decide which way to slant the roof over...
I will see if I can get a decent pic for you...I have the 2 corner posts notched...2 more to go...then we have steps!!!! YAYYYY!!

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Jim is helping with the post notching now... my arm was about to break holding that saw...Radial arm saw is on my list for Christmas for me...LOL

Here is my other assistant under the porch...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.