CLOSED: Chinese Yam/Cinnamon Vine offer

Greensburg, PA

I think this will be my third annual offer for postage. I have a supply of small seed tubers from my vines. You will send me 4 Forever stamps and I will send you about 10 seed tubers in a new bubble envelope. You keep the envelope.

Please post your interest in this thread and I will d-mail you confirming, as well as my mailing address.

This is the non-variegated form of this edible and decorative zone 5 hardy vine. I would not mind trading for some of the variegated form.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 1:54 AM

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

I would love some for DW Shirley..

Tubby

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 6:59 PM

Bonifay, FL

I would love to try these! I don't have any of the variegated form, but I wish I did!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 7:06 PM

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love some, my Dh drown the one I had!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greensburg, PA

Tubby, You have d-mail.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi, krowten.

I'd like to try some as well if you have more available.

Kelly

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

double posted for some odd reason . . .

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009 6:53 PM

Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

You have D-mail.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hi Krowten, If you have any of these left, please let me know. I would love some. Thanks!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I would like some!!
Robin

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

I'd like some too if you've got any left.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

krowten do you have any left? I'd be interested too. Thanks for offering.

Greensburg, PA

Hi, all. There is more interest than I anticipated, so I have held off replying until I could harvest the seed tubers to determine how many offers I would be able to honor. I did that today, and in the next day or two will divide them up into trade size packages to determine numbers. Once done, I'll post here and send the d-mails.

I'm curious, why so much interest for this vine? I'd like to hear..

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hiya krowten!

Any plant that looks that nice, will grow in my zone and is edible is a keeper in my book!!

Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

krowten-

It's a chinese medicinal herb. Would love to add it to my garden, and medicine bag.

Patricia

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Years ago at a former office, this was growing on the fence in the parking lot. I liked the way it looked and thought of adding it to cover some spots of my fence too. Em

Greensburg, PA

I, too, like the looks - kind'a classy. Most everything in my garden is edible as well.

Collierville, TN

I'd love to have some please. Thanks.

Bonifay, FL

I'm with locakelly - the perfect plant for me is attractive, will grow in my zone, and is edible.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

ANY LEFT?????????

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

I would like to try some too : )

Greensburg, PA

Good news. I have enough tubers to fulfill the 13 requests above and probably a couple more. I will be sending d-mail to all that requested this weekend.

I will also be shortly offering some seed for Aronia (var Viking or Nero-no longer sure which I have) and will also have some seed of Cornus kousa var Big Apple. If you would like me to include some of this seed with your Cinnamon vine, just let me know. Keep in mind that seed from these two edible plants would produce "seedlings of" the named variety and not the named variety.

Caring for Cinnamon Vine seed tubers: Cinnamon vine produces a deep tuber when grown, so it is important to be able to plant this outside once it gets going. It likes heat to start. When your tubers arrive (they are about 1/4" to 1/2") remove them from the container and allow to air dry if there is any condensation present. Store in a paper bag at room temps for about a month, then move to plastic bag. Make sure that there is no condensation in the plastic bag. Once the weather outside starts to warm up, move the tubers to a warmer location or plant individually in small pots to germinate. Keep warm (70+ works for me). Plant outside once you know the weather will consistently be above 50 degrees and the plants are big enough to handle. I have stored seed tubers for 2 years in plastic bags without problems but if the tubers have enough moisture and heat, they will sprout. Once they start to sprout, plant them that year as they usually will not survive another winter. All seed tubers shipped this year are from this years harvest, which is why I am suggesting storage in paper bags to allow to cure/dry a bit.

Cornus kousa, aka Chinese Dogwood produces large white flowers in the spring, followed by red edible fruits. It appears that Big Apple is self fertile. It can produce fruits up to 2" in diameter, but mine so far are usually between 1 and 1.25". The outside skin, although decorative, is tough and not edible, but the inside pulp is one of the best tasting fruits (in my opinion, of course) Large seeds around 1/4" are extremely hard and will break teeth if not careful. Typically eaten by cutting a slit in the skin and sucking out the pulp, then spit out the seeds. Most kousa's, however, are planted for decorative purposes.

Aronia is also highly decorative, being covered with white blossoms in the spring followed by plenty of black 1/2" berries in the fall. Aronia berries have a bitter skin with an interior sweet juice. I eat aronia berries a couple at a time, being careful to crush the berry without chewing the skin. However, most people will not choose to eat aronia berries. Rather they are typically juiced, then added to other juice products. They are regarded as highly nutricious. This var is highly productive of large berries and self-fertile. Trouble free.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

I would like to have some of the Cinnamon Vine please.
Margaret

Wilburn, AR

I would to try some if you have any left.
-Thank-you Janie

Collierville, TN

Please include Aronia and some seed of Cornus kousa var Big Apple for me. Thanks!

Greensburg, PA

Finally got the d-mails out to everybody. If there is anybody else, feel free to post to line up by posting here, but do not send any stamps until after I fill the first round above.

Tubby, your package will go out in a day or two.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I would love to try some of each you have to offer. Please let me know when you are ready. Thank you.

ants

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I also would like some if any left.

Sandy

Greensburg, PA

I have 6 more packages going out in the next day or two. Unfortunately, I lost my seed for Big Apple, so will not include that. No, the dog did not eat it, but it was blown away off my porch in a storm we had a couple of days ago. I'm still hoping to find it somewhere in the bushes, but do not want to wait on that.

I harvested another vine over the weekend that I had not expected to "seed", so do have enough seed tubers for more people. I will be contacting "ants" and "ilove" shortly. Is there anyone else?

Please be sure to follow instructions in my initial post. It creates problems when you do not.

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Oh my I did not send my stamps!!!! I will do pronto : )

Beulah, MS

Yes, I would love to have some seeds.

Currie, NC(Zone 8b)

I would love some of you seed tubes if some are still available. Thanks.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi krowton,

I'd love to try if you have any left. Would you like a named Semp or Sedum in return that you may not already have? Or I'll be glad to send postage. Whatever you'd like.

Thanks,
Susan

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Sorry about the Big Apple seed. But there is always next yr if you don't locate any in the bushes this yr.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Blessings,
Sandy

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Got my tubers today and the Aronia too! Thanks!

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

Got mine yesterday. Thanks!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Got mine today. Thanks Margaret

If you have some left I would love some. I just discovered the vine yesterday at an online seed store. I was wanting some because my house faces north and I have this ugly black iron thing holding up my porch. According to the online store this vine likes shade.

Bubba1

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

Received mine while I was out of town - thanks!!!

Greensburg, PA

Finished the first round and am working on organizing the second. Hope to get d-mails out for the next group, but will pack first to determine numbers. I think I'll be able to share with everybody interested so far. Watch for d-mail later in the week.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.