September Blooms

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

It took a while for this Clematis (Clematis Marmori) to bloom, but it was worth the wait.

Thumbnail by Snug_As_Bug_Rug
Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Opposites attract so I planted this deep purple Clematis (Clematis Romantika) with the light pink marmori above:

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

This oleander was a new planting for me -- it took forever to bloom. I thought I'd take a photo before the upcoming autumn weather makes this heat-loving plant go dormant. Does anyone else have this plant. I know that it must come indoors to survive the cold winters here, but since it's poisonous I'm debating whether to do this as it's now outside in a container.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

This is a Purple Pirouette double grandiflora Petunia. It starts out as a beautiful light green and purple floret/bud:

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

This is the petunia in its semi-bloom stage -- lovely deep colors:

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Then it finally ends up like this:

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Love your Marmori clematis and your Purple Piroutte petunia. Might as well spend your time caring for the ones that are simply beautiful. Where did you get the seeds or plants for these. I would love to add them to my garden.

Thanks for sharing.

Teri

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Teri! The pink clematis above (plants) were purchased earlier this year at a PA nursery (Brushwood Nursery) -- this is their website:

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/clematis-marmori-137.html

The petunias were purchased at a local nursery. If you do web search, you may find a nursery that carries it. Snug, :o)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Snug_as_Bug_Rug, Your plants are lovely. The colors on those two Petunias are fabulous.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Snug- Beautiful! I love the petunia too.
Oleander- Thanks for showing that. I was passed - along an oleander last fall. I never saw it bloom. The plant is very interesting though, the leaves come out in three somes instead of opposite in pairs- how odd. It was horribly potbound and I should have left it that way until spring. I messed with it and killed it, but it is so toxic that I'm sort of glad I didn't have the worry!
Odds and ends here. I still have Helianthus going strong since June, and garlic chives, morning glories turning a sassafras sapling into a 'morning glory tree' , and lateflowering Boneset (native), Verbena bonariensis, oh Sedums Autumn Joy and another possibly Matrona, very nice, and passionflower and Datura double yellow. Oh yeah rafts of false dragonhead (pictured) Oh, the variegated liriope is blooming and I do like the combo of purple flower spikes on limeish green and white leaves.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Is Dragonhead the same as Obedient Plant?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Yes ma am

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Love, love, love that clematis, the Petunia, too.
I have a lot blooming in the garden right now I have been very pleased with my Tall Phlox all of them have been blooming since earlier this summer just non stop. The cannas finally did bloom for me. One disappointment was my water lotus, it didn't bloom this year. I did feed it but maybe it needed more. Last year was my first year for it and I had 2 blooms so I was expecting a much better show this year. Sigh......
I have a few very interesting Morning Glories. What do you think of this one?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's very pretty, Holly. I always enjoy seeing your MG's. Now that I'm growing vines, maybe you'll share some seeds with me. Mine have not bloomed very well this year. I may have put them in too shady a spot. But I did get a volunteer seedling that bloomed.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Stormy, I have plenty to share. Only problem is I don't always know exactly which seeds are which as I quite often grow my MG mixed together. So I have a general idea of what the seeds are or what area of the yard they came from. I should have marked that MG so I could have collected the seed from it. So far it is the only one quite like that. Here are the others growing on that window box trellis.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This one is pretty interesting. I have them growing in my window boxes and thought they were pretty in an understated way. They are white with a pale pink center standing down in the yard and looking up at them from a bit of a distance and with the sun shining on them. Then I got a good close look at the same variety growing in my potting shed. Yea, that is "in" my potting shed. I swear the other day that they had a touch of very pale mint green. Today I think it's more of a touch of pale purple. It is a shaded area and you can really see the way they show or pick up other colors. Next year they won't be in my window boxes but definitely growing at my potting shed.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

How about a Toad Lily.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My Clematis Ramona is blooming again.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.