Fall...so what's blooming in your garden?

Memphis, TN

I'm curious -- did you do a mass planting or is that just the way they have spread and filled in? How long have you had them? They are really striking!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

No mass planting. I ordered one little plant from Hallson Garden back in the spring of 2007. I have had it for 3 years. It spreads very readily...actually I cut a bit out as it was just getting too big. Next year I will have to really thin it out as it will just keep going and take over everything if you are not careful! But it just can't be beat for the WOW factor.

Memphis, TN

Well said.

Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

nanny - I am LOVING that picture. I just happened to pick two of them up yesterday at the nursery without knowing anything about it. I cannot believe they get that big, my tag says 18-24" across! How much sun does yours get? My tag says full sun but I'm hoping it'll take a little shade because I'd like to put it near a river birch tree. Beautiful plant!

This is a pic of my anemones and daisies still blooming.

Thumbnail by peonyrosegirl
Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

Here is my $1.50 baby Jackson and Perkins rose Moondance. I got it mid summer in a tiny band size just completely pathetic, about 6 leaves total and even they were covered in blackspot. This rose has made a total rebound and been covered in beautiful scented blooms since about 3 weeks after I planted it. It's still blooming. I'm hoping it makes it through my winters here. Sorry, not a great picture!

Memphis, TN

It seems to have been a very worthwhile little investment. Beautiful rose!

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Hibiscus Moy Grande is finally blooming. : )

Thumbnail by Meredith79

One of many Torch Lilies is blooming. Hopefully all the others overwinter so I can seesome blooms next year on the rest!

Thumbnail by Meredith79

I'm going through the rest of my pics and realizing they are awful. That's what you get for trying to take pictures too late in the evening. I'll get some new ones today hopefully and be back with more. : )

Hi peonyrose girl! Mine gets full sun from noon on. They should be okay under your birch since they don't give dense shade. You really can keep them down in size and the shape you want very easily by just digging out want you don't want. Very easy to move and transplant too!

Rhumba is just starting to bloom. It has pretty colors and does not get quite as large and is a more rounded.almost shrub shape. I am going to move it to the other side of the house next spring.

Rhumba

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Salvia Black and Blue is still blooming.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Black and Blue with Lady In Red Salvia...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

and of course sedum!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks MissMary - I love a good bargain!

Nancy56- Black and Blue Salvia is my favorite salvia but it's an annual here. Do you get it to overwinter in 5b? Thanks for the tips on the Bolero. I'm looking forward to it getting like yours someday!

I have not had luck yet overwintering it..but I keep trying! I think if I can find a spot that maybe stays dry enough it just might do it. I have the big one in a spot that I got an agastache that was hardy to zone 6 to overwinter for 2 years before it died. So we will see if the Black & Blue comes back next year!

I am so close to the edge of zone 5b/6a. I do try to push some things.

Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

I do the same thing, I'm almost 5b so if I can find a sheltered spot then I think maybe....... I'm going to try with these orange and lemons blanket flower this year (fingers crossed lol).

Pretty!! I always thought marigolds were annuals, but they come back here!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Sedum & Mum combo

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

oops..the picture

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

crepe myrtle

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

cosmos

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

monkshood

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

black & blue salvia

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

I love that monkshood! I just got one from a DGer this year, eagerly waiting for the bloom.

Need to look monkshood up...I love that blue!

The sedum & mum combo is pretty!

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Bea
the picture of the black and blue looks like a fanged,hissing snake.
of course a much more beautiful color

Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

beautiful shots beahive! Here's a shot of some yellow roses still happy with the nice weather

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Beautiful rose are they mini's
Every fall I am surprised at how hard roses work right up to a hard frost.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Since it's a nice sunny day... I went out taking some pics...

I liked this one...

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

got a lot going on here.... but i like the variety of colors and textures....
I just love the way Husker Red always stands out with the deep foliage.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Crown Point, IN(Zone 5a)

gardengus - thanks, they're not mini's but just a bad camera angle by me lol! That one is yellow submarine, an easy prolific bloomer by easy elegance. I try to grow a lot of the english roses but sometimes it's nice to have a low maintenance rose that blooms so well and doesn't need protection in the winter, it smells nice too which is such a bonus in our zone right?

tcs - that IS pretty foliage, I just saw that husker red mentioned as a great one to work into your fall combo's in one of my favorite books, very nice.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i just LOVE husker red... love the blooms in the summer and you cant beat that red foliage.

Bay Village, OH

Apologies for the bad picture quality...but I did finally get one dark hollyhock from seed. I buy these seed every year and get nada.....if you look about the picture you can see the snapped up stems...deer love em.

He took off 3 stems of the alstromeria too and the poor thing set up some more blooms...no need to divide with these guys around.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Bay Village, OH

and blooms so heavy they flopped....

have to add that to the to do...tie up the...bugbane? don't remember...have to look it up on my past journal...little tiny thing when I put it in.

Thumbnail by QuoiMerrie
Memphis, TN

Angelonia still going strong here. Wish this were a perennial!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Bay Village, OH

That angelonia is interesting...is it very tall?

Memphis, TN

It's about a foot-and-a-half, I'd say. It seems to happily grow anywhere you put it -- in a planter, in the garden, in a watering can, in the sun, in part shade......and so on. I have white, lavender and purple in my collection and have been very pleased with it this year.

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

We had a day of sun on weds ,I got some pictures while the getting was good,I have spots of nice color left

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Hey the sun was in my eyes,mamoth sunflowers birds picked them clean,Iam going to have a sea of them next yr. it was taller than the shed

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Spicy Cheryl

Thumbnail by huggergirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.