My challenge to fellow MA - DGer's

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Made a promise to the mother of the young man's viewing I attended Friday night...who knew God would make it available to happen so soon. Donating blood was a mission of this young man...I challenge you, too, to give the gift of life....

Thumbnail by Chantell
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Chantell--I'm sorry to hear of (apparently) your loss of a young friend. I have actually thought about donating at times since my Mom had to receive blood just to boost her up. I am going to do it!!!!!!!!!!! Bug me in a week if I haven't reported back. One of the hosp here has a regular open donation time, I think.
Did you know I had open heart surgery when I was five? Yup very new at the time.. Then when I was about ten, I was at a store and my dad introduced me to a co-worker who had been one of my blood donors. I was quite impressed. At that time, people had to be lined up to donate the day of the surgery, it couldn't be held.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's the prayer thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1035106/ Good for you to go donate!!! I'm terrified of needles....seriously...but truly embarrassed that I let it hold me back all these years. What an amazing story you have, Sally...just another reason for me to look for a donation place beginning of Nov. when I'm able to again. God had special plans for you from the beginning it would appear - boy are we grateful!!!

Here's the info for Anne Arundel Medical Center blood donation
http://www.aahs.org/services/blood.php

Harbor Hospital website is not yielding the info easily, will have to call

A partial, phone and address list for Central Maryland
http://baltimore-md.yellowusa.com/Blood_Banks_and_Centers.html

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Great job....thank you!!! See all you MD folks...Sally's made it easy for you!!

Baltimore area--- 410-554-2372 is a number for appointments at Union Memorial, Franklin Square, Good Samaritan and Harbor hospitals. The center is open at Harbor on Fridays and I guess one day a week at the other places. You call that number and make an appointment. Eat well and drink extra fluids for a few days before donation. And don't call my cell phone on Friday from 1- 2 pm cuz I will be donating and scarfing up all the free cookies and juice I can get. Chantell this one's for you and your friends.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 10:11 AM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

You just made me cry, Sally...thank you SO much!!

Oh gosh. As I said, I feel like I owe it. When Mom has gotten blood I think gee I should donate, but I'm in the middle of a crisis at the time so it's not a good time. Well, this IS a good time. Cross fingers--last time I donated (my 20's) I was just above the cutoff weight, and I was faint afterwards a bit. I just needed to sit and have the juice etc. And NOT look at the bag of actual blood actually coming out of my own actual arm LOL!! Believe it or not I do weigh more now than I did then. Your forties tend to do that. Plus I'm sure I did not make any attempt to get extra fluids beforehand. I was more prone to fainting then in general.

The woman who took my appointment sounded very appreciative.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh you're my hero!!! Hmph...the weight wasn't an issue in 1982...nor the other day...LOL Oh well...

Oops- stand down! I am getting a dental checkup this AM and can't donate blood for 24 hrs. Next Friday. And here I was all --wow, donating on 9-11 no less !- and stuff.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Your heart's the right place...that's what counts!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A tip for those who plan to donate, We had one of the Sisters of Mercy at the hospital I worked at many years ago, and she would donate every 8 weeks. The point is she would walk around for 2-3 days before nibbling on raisins. She tended to have a low red count and avowed that the iron from the raisins pushed her count enough to be accepted. I haven't donated for years due to the meds I take but I was over 9 gallons at last count. They really liked me as I was o-neg. Ric

That's interesting- my friend's sister the nurse, tells her grape juice is "so good for her blood."
Ric--you blow me away! How many get to the 9 gallon club??? I'm a boring A pos, so's hubby and all three kids.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad you reminded me -- it's time to donate!

Hooray! I know not everybody is eligible for a variety of reasons. happy, I am glad the blood was there for mom when she needed it because of people like YOU and RIC and CHANTELL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ya'll are amazing!! Thank you!!
LOL Ric - only God knows the reason but believe me the first time I donated (12th grade - someone dared me..yes, I was THAT type of kid), I was crossing fingers that the drop of blood wouldn't drop (guessin' that's what they're gauging is the iron level) like it should. Well drop it did...sheesh. I said "Oh did that drop TOO fast" She quickly responded "Oh no, THAT'S great" ROTFLOL I knew better this time - when it dropped like a lead weight.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I was a regular donor for over 20 years, since I was Oneg I never had to have an appointment, just walk in and out again in15-20 mins. Being different has it's rewards. LOL I knew the bank techs by first name and how many children they had. Ric

Ric- I looked at the biggest bucket I have in the yard, and it wouldn't hold all you've given. Bravo!

I gave today, no problems, except it has completely destroyed my ability to plan dinner tonight. (ANY excuse! How long can I milk this?)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

High FIve Sally!!! I gotta say the finger stick hurt longer then anything...but I say milk any of it for as lona as your able!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.