Saturday in the city with pic's...

Santa Fe, NM

Since I didn't have classes this weekend I was able to go to the Farmer's market and on a walk over to a sports complex where the opening events for Santa Fe's 400th birthday were taking place. There was also an art fair on the plaza with food booths. Our annual City Fiesta is next weekend. And Monday we're going to a party at a friend's ranch. Party season. Party year, actually, because of the 400th! At least we will be entertained. Flowers at the Farmer's Market.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

The market was packed with people and produce! We got more tomatoes. Plenty of chiles,now. Here is a ristra.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I took some close up chile pictures. These are all with my little camera because it is easier to carry.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

There were some chains of marigolds that I found interesting. If I grew more I think I'd try that.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Wandering along, we ran in to some old friends, which was nice. More marigolds growing along the side of the N.M. Supreme Court on the way to the plaza.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

This sign was on a food booth!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

It was a pretty day and now it is raining here. There were bands, banners, folk art and kid's entertainments. Here is D.H. in front of a birthday banner being silly.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

We were looking at the food booths but ended up just getting some horchata. Do you know what that is? I thought this was an interesting piece of art work. Though, not quite my taste.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

There were demonstrations of various things, like making adobes. But, I liked the Aztec dancers!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I kept trying to get a better picture of this dancer. She kept moving around and there were other dancers in the way!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

By luck, I got this picture of another dancer and I think I'll end it here!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

By the way, wouldn't you say I live in a colorful city?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I would. I was sitting here thinking that Los Alamos's 60th aniversary was really dull compared to Santa Fe's 400th. On the other hand a 400th aniversary should be a very big deal and it looked like it was. Your DH fit in well and the flowers at the farmers' market were gorgeous!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

That final dancer picture is simply radiant, Roybird. wow.

funny about the dancer that just kept moving, LOL! When I was at Castle Lake there was a huge dragonfly, must have been as long as my hand, or nearly, who kept almost holding still long enough to get his picture taken. He followed me for a ways but would always flirt off and away as soon as I tried to aim the camera. Another dancer who just kept moving. Guess they do that.

Santa Fe, NM

Kyla, dancers and dragonflies Are like that! Santa Fe will be celebrating for the next year or so. This is just a start. Tonight Lila Downs and Ozumottli, which I can't spell, are playing at the same park where I was today. It was a little expensive for me, especially when it looks like it could get rained out. It's funny but there is some question if Santa Fe turned 400 in 2007, 2008, or 2009. I guess the city held off, just in case. There wasn't anybody around from that time to give a definitive answer.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I was going to say that your photos can be very colorful roybird. It must be wonderful to be surrounded by all of that. And I love food booths!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am with you on the food booths, Plutodrive, especially around here where they sell tacos, burritos, chile burgers, corn on the cob and Navajo tacos to name just a few of the wonderful dishes. If I didn't have so many plants to get in the ground before winter, I would be down in Santa Fe as well.

Santa Fe, NM

Fiesta weekend, coming soon, is all about food booths. But, my favorite one, Pig Boy Willie's, has not been there the past couple of years. The people who ran it got worn out from doing it. Pig Boy's was carne adovada burritos and roast beef burritos. The carne adovada was superb and very hot. I like the agua frescas in the big jars. Turkey legs and corn on the cob don't appeal to me, though. How about funnel cakes? I haven't eaten anything like that since last year! And Nutty Buddy ice cream bars. Hmmm.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hmmmm. I love roast beef burritos and carne adovada burritos. I don't think I have ever had a funnel cake, though I have seem them advertised a lot. I am not so big on turkey legs either. I would really go for turkey thighs, though. Too bad they have never thought of selling those. In real life, I am not big on desserts so, much as I admire Nutty Buddy ice cream bars, I would probably never get around to eating one.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Great pictures Roybird, love all the color!

Speaking of food booths & interesting food, Taste of Colorado is going on this weekend too and the TV news seems to think chocolate-covered bacon is an important story. I don't have time to go down to the festival this year but if I did, that is NOT on my list of foods to try, blechh!

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks, Lisabees. D.H. bought some cheddar cheese with bacon in it and it was disappointing. It would've been better to have a strip of bacon and a slice of cheese. Chocolate covered bacon doesn't sound good to me either. I just got a chocolate bar that has almost no sugar but Very dark chocolate. Buying it for $1 off seemed like a good idea because it also helps save panthers supposedly. But it would be best as a flavoring in something, not as candy. It is undoubtedly quite healthful.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I agree with you on chocolate-covered bacon, lisabees. It sounds really disgusting. I love chocolate and I love bacon, but I don't want the two together. But I bet the Taste of Colorado is fun. I have never managed to get to any of the Santa Fe Gourmet events, but I understand they are fabulous. It's just the 35 mile and the parking tend to make me really pick and choose among the Santa Fe events I want to attend.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Roybird, those are fabulous pictures, especially of the dancers! I have very few good dance pictures, of myself or anyone else. The position you want to catch them in is the one you missed by 0.23 seconds.

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks, Picante. So true about the .23 second rule!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great pics funny bird! I luv markets!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.