September alpines

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

had I only known the seed capsules were already open when I picked them! Still I captured quite a bit of seed. Plenty to share if anyone would like. However, I didn't know (until now) that dry seed was not the way to go with this one. They may not be viable anymore. I picked them about 2 weeks ago, and the seed is very tiny. Some capsules were open, some not ripe. But I can share at least a hundred seeds to anyone who wants.
http://books.google.com/books?id=8l8L1yRAaI4C&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=deinanthe+caerulea+seed&source=bl&ots=F7dvffAOiT&sig=p6r3tF0By5gfuoFVkmD1FxuwFrk&hl=en&ei=1L7kSvObJ-qTtgfG4tHLCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=deinanthe%20caerulea%20seed&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=8l8L1yRAaI4C&pg=PA203&lpg=PA203&dq=Deinanthe+caerulea+seed&source=bl&ots=F7dvffxRkY&sig=5LvKTaVwfANN5C0zBFnsT9yPZk8&hl=en&ei=YbTkStzjLYyvtge-2djLCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=cardiandra&f=false

Thumbnail by Leftwood
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

BTW Rick the Fibigia seed you gave me last spring...well I got 4 plants from them and all are trying to bloom NOW! Being biennials, I guess they will not be around in spring. I do have seeds you sent later....obviously I should wait until at least May before I sow them so that they will not try to bloom in the same year.

I finally got a chance to cut things down in the garden...it was the first day in 3 weeks that I had a few hours without rain (it did start again in the afternoon however!)....no signs of Crocus speciosus yet...I don't expect they will bloom this year. All the Lewisia are snug in the cold frame now (only way they can survive winter in a climate with 60" of rain per year). I usually overwinter my Celmisia speciosus indoors but I am attempting the coldframe this year as it is getting rather large for the basement windowsill.

My rockery needs an overhaul...overrun with Allium cyathophorum var. farreri and Geranium sanguineum...I discovered I lost several choice alpines due to these somewhat weedy 'alpines'.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Yes that allium and geranium are thugs in the alpine world. I really like that fibigea! Sorry you have all had too much snow too soon...

Calgary, Canada

I hope that you experienced alpine enthusiasts will do a similar thread for us who are new to alpine gardening. I was inspired by the pictures and comments that you posted in 09.
Thanks for your time---I know that you are all busy people.
Caroline

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi, Caroline! Just an aside - are you aware of the NARGS forum?
http://nargs.org/smf/
I'm not certain if you are a member or not (I suspect yes?) but it's just another opportunity to talk about alpines, plants in general, get advice, share photos, etc..

And you're right... need to spend some time here again too!

Calgary, Canada

Yes, I belong to NARGS.
That site seems to be more for the experienced alpine gardener,
and I am just getting into alpine gardening.
But I should make a point of going there more often as there is so much info there.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, it is by "hanging out" at the places where more experienced folk converse that one can learn things! Where else could one ask questions and actually expect to get informed answers?

And, by the way, I happen to know that most of the more experienced alpine gardeners whom you know from here are also over there... ahem, insider knowledge, shall we say. :-) So there is absolutely no reason to be shy at all, I assure you. Ask questions, post pix, share info and learn - that's the point of the NARGS forum!

Right now, the number of people posting is small... but we are persisting in trying to make it interesting, in the hopes of encouraging more people to take part, and USE the forum for whatever they get out of it - information, ideas for new alpines and plantings and methods, discussion, entertainment, seeing beautiful mountain scenery, plant IDs, enjoying the plant photo gallery, keeping up with plant world news, ,etc..

Anyway, hope to see you taking part there!

By the way, for those of you who are not NARGS members, the forum can be viewed by nonmembers, as well. Take a look!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

That site [NARGS] seems to be more for the experienced alpine gardener

Caroline, Oh No !!! Gardeners of all knowledge levels are welcome and wanted! I find it an honor and a pleasure to be able to hobnob with such noted authorities, as well as members from around the world. And I have to say, I wish I had the funds to travel as many of them do. Still, traveling through their pos and photos is a lot of fun.

I am sorry to say that I don't post images here at DG anymore. Since the change of ownership, I am no longer comfortable with the wording used regarding possible use of my photos by the owners, elsewhere (other than DG) for monetary gain. There was talk of changing that, and I was hopeful, but well over a year has past, and I still see no update excluding that use, as is the case in some of Internet Brands' other sites' terms of use.

I am not criticizing anyone. Internet Brands has every right to whatever terms of service they wish. But I must agree to those rules.

But do participate, where ever you feel comfortable!

Rick

Calgary, Canada

Okay I understand---especially the pictures thing.
I guess it would be better to hang out over there as it is the photos of the alpines which inspire me.

countable thing. Peaks are little blooming plants that develop high up on mountains and are in some cases filled in gardens. There are a wide range of sorts of peaks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.