Flowering in Australia September 2009

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Party Girl

Thumbnail by MyaC
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Leisa your crucifix orchids are lovely. I have just returned from Cheltenham, two stops down the line from home. For a stretch of almost 20m x 5m, the red Epidendrum has naturalised the eastern bank running up to the railway fence. Countless blooms! Looks fab. There is a canopy of turpentines and Angophora costata, with sailor boy daisies also naturalised. They are great little plants, the red and mauve planted together is a great mix. Almost electric in colour!

Mya, your zygos are beautiful too. We only grow the very common old mauve / purple form here. Most plants were saved from abandoned gardens prior to demolition for high-rise.

Our Wisteria floribunda 'Violacea Plena' is about to erupt in bloom! It will be just in time for my mother-in-law's annual visit here the weekend after next. This is a wonderful cultivar to grow. When it's flowers drop, it is like a carpet of purple coloured popcorn! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

More mauve / purple. The lovely Eupatorium megalophyllum (Mist Flower).

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Does anyone know this one's name? I saw it dow at Berry the other week growing in a hanging basket. Mya, it would do well at your place. BTW, our neighbour told us that the possum man has relocated 35 brushtails back up to the bush a km from here. We are hoping they don't come back!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

More mauve / purple. Dendrobium kingianum.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

On to blue... Bluebells! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Echium and Clivea miniata 'Citrinus'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

More Clivia and Forget-me-nots.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Oh wayne those pictures are beautiful ...your little pink flowering plant looks like my
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55324/
I hope that's the one.
I am in late today had too much to do ...^_^
Oh your cream clivia is beautiful ...I am waiting for mine to bloom.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

That is it Chrissy. Thank you "Miss Marple"! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Brisbane, Australia

Wayne, your kingianum is spectacular! It's such a pretty little flower en-mass. Mine did well last year, but I then split it up, so this year I've only got 1-2 flowers. Maybe the rain earlier in the year wasn't right for it also. Do you fertilize yours?
I'm jealous of your yellow clivia. I bought a tiny tiny plant at least 5 years ago for $25 & it finally flowered last year - I hope I get another flower or two this year. My orange ones are starting to flower, but I think (hope) the yellow comes a bit later.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Leisa, I don't feed the Dendrobiums at all. It seems for some reason, they are flowering really well this year. Last year they were taken over by slugs! :( So I used the iron based multiguard snail / slug bait.

The yellow Clivea I grew from seed. Takes forever, but worth the wait. At the time, tiny one year old plants in tiny 3" pots were selling for a fortune. I was lucky to have a friend who gave me seed. As it turned out 100% yellow blooms from seed.

I have seen both white and a pale pink, but as rare as...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Brisbane, Australia

Oh Wayne just lovely! I've neverseen white or pale pink clivia, but I bought a pale orange/yellow two tone one last year, but it's still quite small. I hope it flowers soon!

I grew some too from seed ...they are very slow this year too cold?
This is from last spring ...these were dutch hybrid, all shades of orange in beautiful tight cannon ball shapes, my cream/yellow was a small plant but but I expect it to flower this year ...they have to have x amount of leaves first don't they? ...my ordinary ones are starting up but are in more sun ...here is one from last Spring (seedling)

Thumbnail by

Here they are
http://www.ausgardener.com.au/products/Clivia-%252d-Salmon-Pink.html
sorry about that it went poof!
I can't find a picture of a pink one and that one is gone, has anyone actually seen one in real life?

This message was edited Sep 8, 2009 7:56 AM

Hang on if you go to the menu and find clivias there is a few pictures
let's see if this works
http://www.ausgardener.com.au/products/Clivia-Special-Collection-Offer-1.html

Hi Wayne ,beautiful flowers,especially your Eupatorium megalophyllum (Mist Flower). Did a bit of research and according to all that is being said about the mist flower, it produces a prolific amount of seeds .Do you ever collect them and if you do I'd love some.

I also have been waiting ages for my orange clivia to flower but *yawn* ,,,,, it is taking forever.

Chrissy and Leisa, those Clivia are as pricey as Angel Trumpets were last year!!!!!!

My gorgeous StictocardiaThanks Judy,starting its prolific blooming again.......

Thumbnail by MyaC
Brisbane, Australia

Ohhh Chrissy - that's a nice selection of clivia (nice price too ;-) They are so pretty! I can't wait til mine flower now!
Here's a little reliable orchid that flowers every year! I don't know it's name.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
Brisbane, Australia

I posted this on the tea room, but I love the softness of this flower, so excuse me for posting it again :-)

Thumbnail by LeisaD

Post away leisa we all love pretty pictures ^_^

Thumbnail by
Christchurch, New Zealand

treated myself to two azaleas & a Skimmia japonica today.
needed more shade lovers, am still looking for a fragrant white rhodie...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Skimmia japonica

Thumbnail by dalfyre
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Mya, yes the Eupatorium produces masses of fine seed. No I have never grown the plant from seed as it strikes so easily. Leave it with me and later on I will post up a rooted plant. Trick with them is to hard prune after flowering, keep them compact and not too much N in the fert mix. Wow look at your Stictocardia!!!

Cliveas! :)) Really lovely plants. Watch out for the dreaded Clivea caterpillar that also attacks Crinum etc!!! An organic treatment is Dipel. Good value, safe on us but deadly on caterpillars. Use regularly.

We also have the lovely Clivea nobilis, looks like NSW Christmas Bells, only pale orange. None in flower here, but look it up if you like. Chrissy, those Belgium / Dutch hybrids are lovely and throw all kinds from seed. A few years back now, the Japanese were mad keen on them and came up with some beauties. What a wonderful Genus to plant under trees, where it is dry and shady!

Leisa, your orchids are fab too! Love that little orange one.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Many of you will remember Alan Searle who had a gardening show years back on ABC TV and radio.

This large orange Clivea was bread by him many years ago. As a young fellow out job gardening for pocket money in the 1970's I was lucky enough to be given two of these plants for my efforts... ... ... Getting rid of Wandering Jew. The two plants went into my parents garden, under a big old Turpentine. Today the clump is very large and magnificent when in full bloom. My mother has struck seeds, but these never have come true to kind.

This is not a very good photo of mine growing along our driveway.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

I have one of his books wayne ...I always listened to him ...can't remember where or on what, telly or radio ...what a wonderful treasure to have some plants he bred ...
I have some of those that look like christmas bells ...yes about the clivia seeds I picked up some at the zoo once ...fruit from stunning red clivias ...waited for ever so long for them to bloom, only to find they were the beautiful but common orange ...yet the special hybrid seeds bloomed in about 4/5 years. Ahhh the mysteries of gardening.

two tone azalea

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Barmera, Australia

G'Day Wayne. What is a "Turpentine"? I doubt it would be the Acacia known here as "The Turpentine Bush" because it burns so rapidly when ignited and smells like "Turps"
Brian

Sydney, Australia

Wayne - Alan Schweeel you mean? And what a nice plant! Just put a few in at Sussex.
Stake - Turpentine = Syncarpia glomulifera certainly East Coast. Don't know how widespread. The seed capsules remind me of the Lost In Space Robinson's Jupiter Two.
Here is my Spring indicator.
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman

Thanks Wayne look forward to it.......

Here's my NOID Hoya.These flowers dangle individually,puffed up for about 2 weeks, then open into these,the pic doesn't do the burgandy colour justice.......

Thumbnail by MyaC
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Hi everyone.I'm back again for awhile I hope...have been busy back and forth.. here and there and have just returned from the coast after a family reunion and Wow!!I'm just blown away by all these stunning flowers...nothing in my garden looks anywhere near as beautiful but things are starting to come into bloom..

This is my Petrea just starting to show it's pretty face...I hope it will get to be as beautiful as last year, when the whole plant was completely smothered in blooms.

Thumbnail by brical1

This is Eranthemum pulchellum...doesn't matter what I do I never seem to be able to take a good clear pic of this one...but anyway ..

Thumbnail by brical1

Jasmine

Thumbnail by brical1

White geranium

Thumbnail by brical1

Brunfelsia ...I love it's fragrance

Thumbnail by brical1
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And on the other side of the planet, Wallflowers>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Protea (right corner) and Verbena>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Phormium and flowers>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

More Verbena>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Heath and Heathers>

Hi dalethe gardener...great pics.....

Do you know the Creamers?great friends of ours....hehehehe,only a few mill in tampa,surely you'd know the Creamers!!!!!

Thumbnail by MyaC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.