Flowering in Australia September 2009

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Just a feeling that our friend Judy might be busy, I have taken the liberty to open the "September Issue".

Here are our "Magic Mushrooms"... Just sprung up under Brugmansia 'Coral Reef'!

Truth is, these were purchased last weekend down at Berry, a lovely coastal town south of Sydney. Beaut weekend away. However now I appreciate how fierce the winds / gales blow at Alistair's Meroo Meadow! Hold on to your hats! :)

Gosh, when the wind blows it blows! :(

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Oh I love those mushrooms! I also love Berry ...the South coast is very special ...very underated and unspoilt. The fires were raging around where I once lived today down Burrill Lake way
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/31/2672344.htm
I hope all is ok soon.

I always believed fairy folk inhabited mushrooms as a child ...perhaps I still do ^_^
judy I received my lovely Buck's Fizz ...blowing kisses your way!
I will be sending bits off next week (I will be checking who wants what with you on the list), I know you were busy judy so thankyou for taking the time (hope all is well).

Christchurch, New Zealand

spring has sprung...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

love those magical mushrooms!
This camellia was cut back to a 2ft stump about 8 years ago.
I love plants that can take a good cut back without sulking!

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Iceland poppy

Thumbnail by dalfyre

grape hyacinth

Thumbnail by dalfyre
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Lovely blooms dalfyre!

A few from our garden follow...

My favourite Camellia, a minature bloom that grows into a large shrub 3 x 2 m.
Camellia 'Tiny Princess'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Clivia miniata.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Magnolia 'Elizabeth'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Barmera, Australia

G'Day.
We're a weird mob alright. We rightfully admire flowering plants but ignore our fruit trees which can put on a good a show as many of the flower only plants and of course we not only get the flowers for a couple of weeks but the growing and glowing fruit for many weeks then when fully ripe we eat only the best.
Goldmine nectarine in bloom and as far as I'm concerned still the best eating nectarine and did you know The Kiwis gave us this fruit tree.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Sydney, Australia

The Kiwis had to give us something good Stake! (sorry Dalfyre - only joking of course)
Go through Berry every weekend Wayne. Meet me at the Donut Van as it can't be passed!!!
Dendrobium speciosum in the fork of the Camphor laurel!
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Sydney, Australia

Native Daphne - Pittosporum undulatum is abuzzzzzzzz with beezzzzzzz

Thumbnail by Budgieman
Sydney, Australia

and an Azalea that has not flowered properly for years, is dug up, potted and threatened with disposal!

Thumbnail by Budgieman

Beautiful pictures everyone ...brian I agree with you re fruit trees being beautiful, but the rosellas are already eating my apricot blossoms ...and the fruit trees out front in the colder area (exposed to icy temps ) are not out yet. I love fruit trees.
steve I hope the fires are staying away from you down south ...I left after both fire and flood in one year, since I had a baby at the time I felt unsafe ...that of course was a lot further down than your lovely place ...love that cage! great find. I am wondering if you still want angel bits since I have not had your addy after asking twice ...last offer ^_^ bits going out over the next two weeks.
Sorry no pics ...the place has been full of blokes building more shedding today so I don't go out there while all that is going on!
I prefer to do my garden stuff in peace and without an audience, unless it is another gardener, right now chaos reigns!
So I am just loving all of yours!

Sydney, Australia

Sounds like my sort of chaos Chrissy!
Man and Shed - ahhhhh!
Fires down the road and far enough away but this early is not a good sign for what is ahead!
It was probably 5 years ago that fire knocked on Sussex's door. Everyone was told to head to the inlet.
There is around 500m between us and the bush so if it is going to happen we would be horribly unlucky.
The inlet is less than a minute away.
This weekend I will be showing my Wisteria! Stay tuned.
Steve

Sydney, Australia

I need to learn to read slower Chrissy. I have been a little preoccupied lately.
The answer is yes of course. After seeing everyones enthusiasm for these plants I must admit I am a little intrigued.
I would love to get some bits. This weekend will see me starting to set up irrigation so I am ready to leave things confidently for the week. My one Brug is looking really healthy. Has 4 stems and lots of leaf.
I decided not to move it to make way for the shadehouse. I am moving the shadehouse instead.
Cheers
Steve

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Dalfyre your grape hyacinth is stunning,I love that blue colour.....I've just put some Ipomoea Nil seeds. Blue Thunder in ,hope the blue is as vivid as your grape hyacinth......

My apostle lily hasn't stopped flowering yet and has 3 flowers and 2 buds at present........

Wayne love your "mushrooms",my husband says that ornaments in a garden reminds him of old people(retired),I have had to remind him that we are getting that way but he won't budge.....I love anything whimsical in the garden and would love a fairy,angel theme but would have to knock the old boy off first and really, if I did that ,who would dig my holes or hang up my baskets!!!!!!!!hehehehehehe

SteveThe EPA backburned the mountain behind the house...poor koalas!!!!!! They came pretty close to the 4 houses here on the beach and we could hear them chain sawing furiously to contain the spread,yobbos...couldn't breathe for 24hours without coughing,so what chance did the wildlife have:((((((

Thumbnail by MyaC

Here's my white desert rose....it's only taken 2 years to bloom from seed, to this....wow

Thumbnail by MyaC

NOID Hoya.........this is the first time I've seen flowers on this,so don't know if the flowers open, or if they just stay like that...........

Thumbnail by MyaC

Zygo with buds......

Thumbnail by MyaC

Ok nothing as exotic as you Northerners, but what a difference a day makes ...of course I would find this in bloom it always opens for the first week of spring without fail ...though it is only just starting up ...sorry steve ...I beat you! soon it will be a 60ft waterfall over one front fence here

Thumbnail by

Thousands of buds getting ready to jump out! the yummy fragrance (to my nose) of sweet peas bloom and orangeflower water fills the air!

Thumbnail by

Speaking of beautiful garden statues ...remember the little cuttings from our dear parrot lady (hi helen!) she *the dear little angel I put there to watch over them was taller than them but* now look ...even though it's been winter ...wow not even normal impatience grow through winter ...I love thse darling little blooms they look like they have been made of stained glass when the sun hits them ...

Thumbnail by

They glow and sparkle like a stunning expensive glass ornament, only even more beautiful. They are said to look like little bonsai trees and I think they do too ...just look *sighing with happiness*
*congo parrot* blooms

Thumbnail by

plum tree starting up ...no others yet

Thumbnail by

I planted a selection of morning glory hybrids here is the first one anyone recognise it? (I mixed them up on purpose ^_^) I think it may be the one they call the Quamoclit ...anyone sprouted ones like this?

Thumbnail by

Of course the everpresent ever blooming ...grevillia "superb" it's huge and very old ...about 16/17 years ...said to be short lived? I planted it in washed river sand in a built up bed due to our heavy clay and it never ever is without many blooms filled with bees and noisy minors.
It's companion is the ever blooming boug *tango supreme* never stopped blooming at all this year ...just a little less.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 11:57 AM

Thumbnail by

I mean't it is old for a grevillia ...

Thumbnail by

ummm ...oh yes just to show how far we are behind you QLD folk remember judy posted her vinca groundcover in bloom a while ago ...mine is just starting up ...look at that @#$% black eyed susan hiding sneakily in there ...what monster triffid it is ...I will have to rip it out quick smart,

Thumbnail by

gorgeous photos chrissy.......

here's my Ipomoea Quamocilt,all my seeds germinated,mixed colours but so far only pinks are flowering....quick,quick growers......

This message was edited Sep 1, 2009 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by MyaC

Arborea brugmansia has been flowering for a few weeks now ...it does not enjoy heat so that will stop soon I think depending on how hot it gets ...in a cooler spring it blooms a long time. I have numerous seed pods forming up but know that the newer ones will probably fail if we get high temps too soon ...happily I have some from last late autumn that will be ready soon.

Thumbnail by

Arborea Brugmansia with a recent pod started.
Thanks Mya do they look like mine when they started? it looks like that feathery look.Your pics are glorious ...mine just good old aussie farm/garden type stuff.

Thumbnail by

I forgot to ask if yours are mixed colours ...mine are supposed to be all different colours ...little starry blooms with that pretty feathery look.
Pretty weeds ...

Thumbnail by

Not much else happening YET ...this little weed/filler (I love them) is waving back at aunty jean way down south

Thumbnail by

umm cute little pink flowers starting up on the pale grey succulent ...first time. That's it for now ^_^

Thumbnail by

Mya that picture of the pink bloom is lovely ...I hope mine will look like that ...or any of the colours as a matter of fact ...I love climbers!
My Ceylon Spinach has germinated ...but is too small to take a decent pic ...it is said that people grow it for it's tropical lushness as well as a food plant, just my thing.

Quoting:
forgot to ask if yours are mixed colours ...mine are supposed to be all different colours

Yes they are mixed colours....I got my seeds from herbalistics.....also got some Heavenly Blue,Scarlett O'Hara,Lobata,Muelleri and my duds Hederiflia,20 seeds of these and none of them germinated,guess that's the way it goes.....I've also got some stunning colours coming from the States,all Ipomoea nils.....

Scarlett with buds as well.....

Thumbnail by MyaC

My Thunbergia Mysorensis Lady Slipper Vine climbing all over my cacti....gives it great colour

Thumbnail by MyaC
Merino, Australia

Hello all. I have to join in with some spring blooms although mine are proabaly not as lush as the northerners.
Chrissy, I love my nasturtiums. I have the large ones running all over the paddock and where ever else they can sneak in. They certainly cover a huge bare area for summer. I did have some very pretty Ipomeas from USA last year but they died away in winter.
I am very pleased with all my self seeding triffids as they fill spaces and last through summer. The wallflowers, californian poppies, opium poppies and honesty.
My gorgeous favorite camellia. Donation. She is slow growing here but always a mass of flowers.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

The wallflowers.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.