What kind of blueberries grow well in zone 7?

Middle River, MD

I am planning on planting northblue and polaris blueberries next year. most of the info is see has 7 as the upper zone for these varieties. I do believe the spot i will be planting them has a zone 8 microclimate. should i go for these or are there others that are better suited?
these will actually be used in an edible landscape, so i need half high types.

thanks!
rachel

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I am no expert but am in 7b/8a and have grown the "rabbiteye" blueberries successfully. Experienced folks have told me that they will do better in our climate. I am growing Climax, Premier and Misty among others. There is a good brochure here
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0904/
(Auburn cooperative extension service) and I will bet that your state CES also has publications that discuss varieties specific to your area.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

In Maryland, you should do ok with the northern type blueberries. They do well in Virginia and most of North Carolina. They need more cold weather in the winter (chill hours) to set fruit than southern highbush or rabbiteyes. One key is sweet cherries. If sweet cherries produce in your area grow northern. If not grow southern. Of course you need an acidic soil in either event.

Middle River, MD

Thank you both very much.
pink, i will check in to see if my state's got the same type of map with the chilling hours. that could be useful.
dill, i will check in to the sweet cherries! I know some places around here do pyo cherries, but they are further west/north,
there is such an abrupt change from bayshore where we are to even a few miles further west/north so i think the zone is different.
as for the acid soil, there used to be a huge pine tree planted where these bushes will be going, so the soil appears to be ok, but i still need to test it.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Look a few posts down and you will see someone in that zone selling a blueberry farm. That would be great info. They are selling the bushes for 10.00 each.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.