Happy Belated Planet Pluto Day!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

:O how could I miss this important event when I had it starred in my calendar :O On August 24, 2006 some weinerbrain astronomers decided that Pluto was no longer a planet. Since we never gave them permission to mess with our solar system AND since Plutonians had no say whatsoever, I officially declare that from henceforward August 24th will be universally celebrated as Planet Pluto Day.

Details on a Pluto parade and feast to follow.

ps yoo hooo Plutonians out there please join DG

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm with you dahlianut. Who said they got to define what a planet is and isn't. They didn't make it! They don't live there!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I agree with both of you on Pluto. Who says astronomers get to decide what we call that orbiting body out there! It was a planet before they decided it wasn't and it is a planet now, as far as I am concerned. Does this mean they won't teach children about it in science class? As a teacher of science, I would have a hard time teaching kids that there was no planet named Pluto any more.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Pluto is behind this whole thing. You notice how much attention Pluto is getting now, due to having been artificially demoted from planet status? There are people who think about Pluto now who practically never heard of it before this all blew up.

Turns out there are orbiting bodies, actually quite many of them, discovered since Pluto was and which are larger than Pluto to boot. There is actually a whole branch of astrology that some have dubbed The Rock and Pebble School, who work with the astro influences of non planets, or perhaps, planetlets hahaha, such as Eris, Sedna, on and on, there are probably hundreds.

but let me not open that can of worms and stick around, I am outa here on that note, LOL!

Enjoy Pluto if you can. *doom doom doom* ominous music cue.

It doesn't matter to Pluto what you call it, IMO, it is going to keep doing its Plutoness just the same.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

"Originally classified as a planet, Pluto is now considered the largest member of a distinct population called the Kuiper belt.[10]"

Found that on wikipedia. Not so bad, being a member of a distinct population. This particular population (the Kuiper belt) has an "eccentric and highly inclined orbit".

This all reminds me very much of my sisters and a few other dear creatures of my acquaintance. They have trouble dealing with most contexts provided by society, but if you get them in context with the right community, they're just fine and dandy. (One is in SF and the other in Port Townsend.)

Call it what you want, but don't try to "fix" its orbit.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Picante, your sister has an eccentric orbit? Hah, I think that describes my brother pretty well too. :o)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Decidedly so. And highly inclined. Right now she is highly inclined to avoid people, having worked the whole tourist season in PT. A healthy inclination if you ask me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Enduring a tourist season is definitely a good reason for avoiding people for awhile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.