HELP!!!!!

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

does anyone know if dichondra silver falls can be grown as a houseplant? A friend of mine just closed her greenhouse because of health concerns. While I was away for the weekend she called and asked if I would like any of here excess plants. Being a garden and houseplant enthusiast I of course said yes. Figuring she"d leave maybe a handfull on my back porch while I was gone. Boy did I get a shock when I got home, she left over 1000 plants on my backporch. Some I've never heard of. Because it is the end of august, and we have had a freakishly cool summer this year. I don't know which plants I can overwinter in the house and which ones I can't. If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!!!

OH MY, over 1000 plant's!! You have your hand's full there. The Dichondra would have to be a houseplant for you there .

Which other plant's do you have question's about? Or should I ask;-)

Rachel

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

yea like what did she leave. man i would be in heaven

Anchorage, AK

Heaven with a twist. Wow! That's a LOT of plants to try to place in a short time. Can you include pictures? For ID and for us to envy you with :)

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

did she leave the greenhouse too? Your gonna need it!

Anchorage, AK

LOL! If she did you're a lucky girl indeed!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Trina:
Yes you can keep silver falls as a house plant. I have several that are 2 years old and they make nice flowing addition to a multi plant display

Others? lets see aluminum plant, licorice vine, impatians, begonias, dracaena spike, artillery plant, vinca, fiber optic grass, coleus, iresine, dorotheanthus mezoo, sweedish ivy, german ivy, geraniums, some daisy looking thing, parsley, fennel, 5 different types of chives, asparagus fern...and the list goes on! I wish she left the greenhouse!!!! But it wouldn't fit in my backyard. want some?

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

sounds like a lot of pretty stuff.I have a big round bathtub (that I call the grandbabies tub, I can fit five in at a time lol) I put the plants that have to come in for the winter in it. . It has a skylight over it and they do nicely in there.Sounds like most all of that stuff needs to be indoors in the winter.If even half of it survives you've done good dear.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Trinawitch I'm about an hour a way, be glad to take some that will winter outside off your hands. I don't have much luck with house plants. Another thought scenic drive is coming maybe sell some, lot of traffic thru Canton those two weekends.

Didn't happen to work at Maytag did ya?

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

My Neighbors house is empty could turn it into a greenhouse. LOL

no but i use to work in Jacksonville. Neighbors house into a greenhouse...I wish! my house is large..but with 5 teenagers it has to be....but not that large. I already had over a hundred houseplants before she dropped these off...I like to grow things..but most of it I don't know what it is....the kids tease me that I could get a dead stick to grow...I may not know what it is but I can get it to grow...most of these plants are still in there starter pots and some look a little rough but with care would spring back nicely! I wont be home saturday but if you want sunday is a good day if you want to come get some! just dmail me a time...and if anybody has some for sale (reasonable! remember 5 kids) I'm looking for a jade tree...I use to have one I got from my grandfather in 1988 that was massive, but my ex-husband decided it needed to die.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

You sound like the neighbor I had. She moved to Florida but can get anything to grow, had a tree the kids gave me for mothers day it was dying she came over moved it to a different window fed it and said don't touch until I say.It's been in the same spot for 7 years doing great,she moved 2 years ago and comes back about twice a year and checks on it when she is here. Coming back the 11th I'll email her and see if she has a Jade tree she would bring a start I'm sure if she has one.
I don't know where you would put 100 houseplants or 5 teenagers...

I just got informed I have to watch the Grandkids this weekend so don't think I can make it but may dmail you later if they go home tomorrow night.

I got picturs of some of the plants! Heres number 1

Thumbnail by trinawitch

Bear with me here"s number 2

Thumbnail by trinawitch

number three picture

Thumbnail by trinawitch

And the last one!

Thumbnail by trinawitch
Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

boy you weren't whistling dixie. Got some nice plants there, hope you can secure them before cold weather sets in. If nothing else I would find a big box and line it with plastic then put dirt and plants in it for inside. Most look like cuttings so should be able to plant a bunch together until other arrangements can be decided.

heck that wasn't nearly half of them. I'd have to take at least 10 more pics to get the whole lot of them

Anchorage, AK

You could have a garage sale and make some moola. Then you could buy MORE plants!!!! Well really, you have repetition there anyway right? :)

Oh there are lots of each kind, but I was raised with this weird tradition of things like..."never take money for a plant you own" "If you talk to the fairies your garden grows better"....but I would gladly give them away or trade plants

Anchorage, AK

Well there ya go! Plant swap sale or free plants. At least you wouldn't have to worry about finding room and there would be a lot of happy new plant owners. :)

Do you have a fairy garden? Have you checked out the terrarium gardening forum? Fairy fans there.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Trina, gather the ones that you do not know into groups and post as clear a close up shot as possible of each group. We will get them ID'ed for you. try to limit it to no more than 5-10 plants per picture.

Leicester, NC(Zone 8a)

Do the fairys talk back? Just checking LOL. You could posibly list them all in your local trading post or free classified paper. We have one here where you can post jobs, stuff for sale,yardsales ect. Better to sell, then ya can take the little tike to the movies and he won't be experimenting with your other plants ha ha.

according to my scottish grandmother and native american grandfather...YES the fairies talk back, personally I've never heard them but there must be something to it because my garden took off way better than I expected since the ground is clay and saturated with motor oil, gasoline, deisel fuel, and antifreeze. I tilled in shredded coconut shells, old potting soil, potato peels, blood meal, bone meal, and a ton of miracle grow...but i really expected everything to die. as for plant exchange...I just moved to this area so I don't really know alot of people here, and don't know if we have a trader.

Trina, are you traditional? I have a Scottish grandmother, Irish grandfather, Cherokee great-grand mother and Iroquois great-great grand mother.

I'm not sure what you'd call me! if I can't play with the plants I literally fell sick...As for practicing I follow what my soul feels is right...heck my mom, my sister and I can call each other without using a phone, if that means anything...I was raised that way without ever realizing it was "Different"

Forgot to mention that the Irish/Scottish/Iriquois side of the family is from Cambria/Glendale/Vienna Illinois area

HHHHMMMM!!!! my familt is mostly from Rushville, Astoria, beardstown, well the elders have migrated to Florida...lol

Very few of the Elders are on this plane any longer....

true....oh so true...I keep a place setting at my table for the ones that have passed...its always set with mixed pieces of fine china....each piece represents a certain love one...although none of the pieces match it works

I have small herbs planted in Teapots for each of them on my mom's side of the family...don't know my dad's side very well.

neither do I. I've only met him once. and he only calls when he goes to AA or gets remarried...so about once every 3 years.

They were just standoffish and thought they were too TOO for us...lived just fine without 'em, but it did trouble my dad...

I'm just thankful I'm the only one he had. That way no one else has to go through his bs. I figure Karma will catch up to him someday....he knows what he did and some day he will have to face that.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone,
Trina if you just moved to the area do you know about the Knox County and Spoon River Drive the first two weekends in October?

Spoon River yes cuz I moved here from Augusta IL, but they won't live that long if the don't get repotted now. most are so rootbound the plastic starter containers are busting open.

(Zone 5b)

I can call my mother without a phone too, but that's because she has the Whisper 2000 hearing aide...she can hear her kids talking 10 miles away *grin*
I am just kidding guys! I find that whole thing fascinating. Very cool.
I want to suggest Trina maybe you could put in an ad for a plant swap, you'll get tons of folks interested in trading. I'm the same way, rather give stuff away than take money.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

I know thats a ways off just wondered if you knew about it. I have friends from Chicago that come down and we go. Feel sorry for the people who live in those towns they can't get anywhere. But its very interesting.

That was funny! I can't stand to see them die either! I have plenty of room for them all just no pots. and i use anything I can...old watering cans, ice tubs, an antique cook stove, old tubs, plastic ice buckets, mason jars, old cowboy boots, I just don't have enough

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.