Figs are dropping off before they are two inches long- help

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi, My fig tree looks healthy, but the figs are dropping off before they are two inches long. Why?
We had a lot of rain in the Charlotte, NC area (zone 7B) this summer. Could this be the problem? A three foot tall tree was given to me last year, it is now six feet tall. Is the tree immature? Do I need to feed fruit trees something special?
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Greensburg, PA

Mighty, I have the same problem except that that mine never get even that big. I asked the question of some NAFEX members and got the following suggestions:

1) Put in bigger pot (mine is in a container - don't know about yours).
2) Possibly too much or not enough or not steady enough moisture level
3) Need pollination, but pollinator not available in hardy climate. (said to taste the falling fruit that it might be small but just ripe)(.
4) Might not be mature enough to keep (larger) fruit.

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

krowten, my fig is planted in the hottest spot in my yard. It's a southern exposure, along a driveway, and has no shade all day. We have had a lot of rain this year. I believe they have been pollinated, I have fruit. Unless I don't understand the process!

I'm not sure I understand your #3 / #4. Are you saying they may be mature, and tiny?

Greensburg, PA

Some varieities of fig require special pollinators. As I am just getting started with them myself, I am not the right person to be answering that question in detail.

However, a few words about pollination in general may be useful. Many fruiting plants will delvelop an immature fruit for a period of time without having been properly pollinated. These immature fruits will grow a bit then die and fall off if there are no fertile seeds in the fruit. This tendency, I believe, is useful to breeders working to develop fruiting plants that do not need pollinators. Self fertile plants exist in nature, but breeders will often select for that feature as well, as it can be very useful. The cheracteristic of producing unfertilized fruit for a period of time has a technical term that I do not remember.

For example, I have a hardy kiwi variety (Hardy Red, I beleive) that flowers every year, then starts to produce fruits. The fruits get up to about 1/2" in size, then fall off. I expect that, as I have no flowering male to pollinate. I also grow a variety of hardy kiwi (Issai) that is self fertile and does not need a pollinator. Its fruits do not fall off if not pollinated. Most female hardy kiwi require a male pollinator. Issai is the onlky exception that I know about.

So, if not pollinated, your fruits may not be achieving full size (3). Thus, they may be ripening at a smaller size and falling off. That's why the NAFEX'r suggested tasting one. (4) Lastly, the plant, though large, may not be mature enough to produce full size fruits that ripen (taking the pollination issue out of the picture)

Please post what varieity you are growing. That may be helpful to others having more knowledge than I in answering the pollination possiblity.

Belmont, NC(Zone 7b)

The fig tree was given to me by a neighbor. She received it from her brother who lives in Virginia and had no success with it. The figs are so young, I can't imagine eating them! Yikes! Here's a pic, does this help?

Thumbnail by mightyscott
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mighty, the ripeness signal for figs is the position of the stem. It begins to droop (bend) as if the frrut is getting too heavy for it. If not picked soon the fruit will fall off.

Size of fig fruits vary widely among the many varieties.Some are quite small indeed. I have a Petite Negri that produces small but delicious morsels. Don't be afraid to taste a fruit. If not ripe it will still be somewhat firm and will have a starchy taste, but isn't unpleasant.

Yuska

Here's a good article to explain which fig types need pollinizing and what cared is needed.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009 12:14 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.