The changes in your landscape

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I hope some of you have before pictures of your gardens.
I love to see the transitions in a landscape.
Even though not all changes are in a shady garden, lets post what we have
Mine are only 2 years old, I sure wish I had taken pictures when we first moved in.
Here are some of mine.
This was the end of the garden on the border of neighbors.
We all know ,gardens never end.
This is the DayLily garden last summer July 15,2008

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

this year July 16 nearly the same area

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wow! Beautiful and so much color! That's one thing I'm missing, "color". There's so much shade here it's tough to match what you've created. I have one large area that I'll be working on in the next few years which WILL be a sunny garden so I'll look forward to seeing photos of everyone's gardens to borrow ideas :)

Ditto, rcn. ge, I'm envious of your coneflowers and I like that shade of yellow - what is that plant?. Oh, I can grow them but with the shade, they're pretty wimpy, leggy plants with faded colors. The 'White Swan' tends to do a little better because it's shorter. BTW, I saw that you posted plant file on Campanula poscharskyana - one of my favorites. It's my main edging plant along the sidewalks. I started with an no-name plant which I've divided like crazy over the years and then acquired 'E.H. Frost' (a white variety) and 'Blue Waterfall'. Ahem - returning to topic - I'll see if I can find old photos (yes, real photography paper) of my befores.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cindy!
The yellow flowers are FataMorganas lilies I planted in May of that year.
Not being a hip gardener I just bought plants and bulbs for places I thought theyn would grow.
I didnt realize the bulbs would bloom that year but later.
The bloomed on time this year. mid June and July.
Here they are this year before the echies fully bloomed.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Hey - the best gardens have plants that are well-suited for their location as yours are. I love that lemony color. Don't you love it when you get unexpected blooms?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Before: October 27 2007

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

After: August 20 2009

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Before: July 27 2008

Thumbnail by postmandug
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

GREAT PX Doug

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

August 20 2009

Thumbnail by postmandug
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Really nice stone retaining wall.

Doug - you've really made focal points out of those slopes. Beautiful. Once had visions of using broken concrete for retaining walls but that would mean I'd have to carry them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ahhhhh yes the labor

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

That's why I'm doing it now. In about 10 years I probably won't be able to do all that heavy lifting just sit back enjoy all the fruits of my labor!

This one's from June last year.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

And this one is from a week ago.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Your doing a fantastic job.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Doug! I am SO envious of your rocks, an "easy" supply of rocks for my gardens is non-existent here :( After years of living within a stone's throw from a gravel pit with an endless supply of rocks for my gardens in Maine, I'm frustrated and too cheap to buy them! I finally found a pretty good source along one of the creeks on our property but I have to "jump" a barbed wire fence, collect the rocks, struggle to get them over the fence, then walk them up a slope to load in the van to take back to the house for placement in the gardens :( But they're free! LOL My rock collecting journeys last spring stopped when the weather starting getting warmer... the brush on the slope gets pretty thick and the critters who have been hibernating along the creek start showing up! I'll be back there though this winter and stockpiling more rocks to replace those I've borrowed from spots in the garden this summer!

I'm running out of time this morning but I'll get some "before-after" photos to share tomorrow :)

How wonderful to have a natural source of rocks/stone. Here, field stone will occasionally show up during farming or construction but rarely in these woods. If I could only make an equivalent with clay... We've been envisioning a new retaining wall to replace the 20+ year old railroad ties that came with the house. They're pretty much hollow and make good homes for the chipmunks. That would involve those huge blocks which are beyond my physical ability. I can handle the small ones (still).

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I can handle the small ones (still).

LOL, I always bite off more than I chew! Whenever I make a trip to Maine I always bring home a few rocks. Last winter my son's Christmas present to me was a load of rocks! He loaded them in the van for me and I realized by the time I hit the Massachusetts border how much of a load I had on board :( I made it home safely but one of the boulders he loaded was so heavy we had all we could do just to get it out of the van! It's not in the best spot right now but I don't see us moving it anytime in the near future unless we use the bucket on the tractor! This is a scanned photo to give you an idea of the size rocks I USED to move, the rock wall I built for my gardens in Maine, all hauled from the gravel pit nearby. Of course, I was 20 years younger! LOL

Thumbnail by rcn48
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice job on the wall

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I'll start posting my "changes" with this spring's project. We planted this Hosta border in May of 1999 and it was absolutely gorgeous until about 3 years ago. As we continued to work in other areas of the landscape, the Hostas suffered from neglect, lack of water (two years of severe drought) and the mole/vole population explosion. One by one they either disappeared totally or looked really sad :(

Thumbnail by rcn48
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice selection

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

oops, that red "someone's posted" always jolts me! LOL Thanks ge, I really miss my rocks :(

So...it's March and still a little too brisk to be working in the soil but I started thinking about what I could do in this area for a new look! This is basically what I started with - the head of the path where the Hostas used to live...a ton of Bamboo roots to remove and I will FINALLY get that lamp post straightened :) LOL

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The Hostas I want to plant are all dormant but I want to make sure my selections "work" so I play around with Photoshop and this is what my "vision" looks like!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am looking for a good hosta grower. I have bought from Hallsons in Michigan but am interested in a couple of giants for this area.
I would plan them for as far back in this view as I could get.That would put them at the border of my neighbors property which is the lawn you see at the top of the photo

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I decided the path needed some rocks to define the edges and I start collecting from the creek. Now I'm ready to start and I got that lamp post straightened!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

But the weather takes a turn and the soil's still too cold to plant :( So my design takes a new curve and I decided to collect more rocks to build steps on the slope!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

O also like the definition od edges.
Rocks look great

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The planting commenced and by May the head of the path is looking a little different :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The lamp post with new Hostas.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Continuing around the curve of the path...

Thumbnail by rcn48
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wonderful,what are the tallest plants in there that look like sticks from this view

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

My mind tends to stray while I'm working and one thing led to another and I incorporated a small pond into the design.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A closer look at the pond...

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And finally the steps are planted! I've added a few more plants since these photos were taken and I've still got more planting to do in the area but I'll be back at it this fall or early next spring...once I collect more rocks :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

ge, that's my Black Bamboo "forest" which gave me fits while working this area. It's invaded this whole area but I'm trying to contain it and knock it back hard!

Love the black bamboo. I've been intrigued with bamboo ever since a visit to Cheekwood Gardens in Nashville - the path through the bamboo grove was quite entrancing. Tried growing a variety in a pot once (due to hardiness issues) but it did poorly. How did you construct your pond? Do you have to worry about mosquitoes there? And the rock-hauling - omg.
ge - I used to buy Hostas from Shady Oaks until they went wholesale. :( I don't buy quite so many Hosta now as I used to due to space limitatons although I do buy a few locally every year - especially the yellow ones which I'm now stuck on. They show up so much better in my shade.
Got some old "before" photos scanned last night and just have to find the right "afters" to go with. DH has narrowed down the new camera options to 2 so hopefully I'll be able to better document things in the future.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Debbie that is beautiful.

Doug

I don't do a lot of photo documentation so I really had to scrounge for "before" and "after" shots (not that the "afters" are all that great). I don't have any photos going back to the very beginning before any work was started though. So here goes.
My lower garden, salvaged from garbage (previous owners) and poison ivy, backing up on wooded wetlands, sits about 10 ft down from backyard.

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.