Aristolochia?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I received seeds in trade. Person I received seeds from didn't know the which one and I really need to know so I know where to plant it. In a pot...out side? I've been overwintering it in unheated greenhouse for 2-3 yrs.

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Dover, NJ

Looks like Aristolochia elegans, aka Dutchman's pipe.

Mark

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda(Zone 10a)

Yes Dutchman's Pipe for sure, smallish bloom though. Mine is in the ground, semi sun, but I gave one to my neighbour and hers is in a pot and doing really well, dpn't hink it would do well inside though.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

That's for the info. I'll do some research and see where I should plant it in my zone

I bought corkscrew vine seeds on the net, they are growing like mad, will I have to wait forever for a bloom or two?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

my corkscrew vine I grew from seed last year just sprouted back out a few weeks ago so I'm not looking to see blooms. Back in the greenhouse it goes for winter and hope for blooms next year

I don't think I have ever seen anything grow so fast so I thought maybe I might get blooms soon, I swear I could pull up a chair with nice cold beer and actually see it growing. Wish I could say the same for the Brugs :(

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL. Mine(corkscrew) is just putzing along,only a few inches tall.

Only my white brugs have or are blooming. No sight of buds on the peach color and I haven't seen a bloom on my plumerias in years. I planted 3 plums in a bed this spring,they've gotten huge but still no sign of a bud on any of them.

Forgive me for butting in,

Plumerias take a lot of water here, if you're talking about the tree, also called Frangipani. They do go dormant if too dry, and we have a rainy/dry seasons climate.

I had neighbors who's graywater system fed a Plumeria that was the biggest one I've ever seen, and it was NEVER out of blooms. It acted like a giant begonia or something. On the side of a hill, so drainage was perfect, with a whole housefworth of water every day. Twenty feet tall, and round like ball. The lady thought it stank, she'd overdosed on the sweetness, poor thing.

I'm looking to plant pipevines for the butterflies, there's one, a Zebra ---umm, something, ha, that flutters beautifully, and pipevines are their host plant. Odd flowers, hey?

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

The corkscrew seeds I started this spring just started blooming a couple of weeks ago so there is still hope for your vines. ;-)

Thumbnail by guamsorbit

Beautiful! Are the Corkscrews as fragrant as the ads say?

You can definitely smell them and the scent is unlike the other fragrant flowers I have so I highly recommend them if ants don't bother you :-). I was pretty successful with getting the seeds to sprout so I've got a few vines going. This one is in a pot that gets morning/mid day sun and it has been pruned slightly; another I have gets afternoon sun and it has not been pruned but it also hasn't bloomed yet so maybe that's a clue. The others I have are still small and are taking their sweet time like described by others in this thread. I'm hoping I can get some seeds out of the vines. If I'm successful are you interested, Molamola or anyone else?

bigred, did your corkscrew bloom last year?

d

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 5:09 PM

You bet! I'd love some, fresh, as many tropical seeds --don't-- stay viable for very long.

Humm, what can I trade??

This message was edited Sep 9, 2009 8:20 PM

These have a very hard shell so I don't think freshness will be an issue. In fact, mine came to me by way of South Africa (thanks Elsa!) so I know they were at least a few months old by the time I got them. If/when they show up on my vines, I'll let you know :-)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I could understand my plums not blooming from lack of water when they were in pots but they're in the ground now and we've had one of the wettest years I can remember so they haven't been hurting for moisture.

I sewed the corkscrew last year but never got them out of their small pots but potted them up in a gallon pot this year and only one survived....and it's still putzing along

Plants seem to have a mind of their own sometimes. I keep what I'm successful with, and toss what dies, and people think I have a green thumb! haha

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Mol

LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.