Palm puzzle

noonamah, Australia

In amongst some aroid seedlings I had there were some ring-ins - what turned out to be these palm seedlings. Don't know how they got in there, don't remember planting them.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
noonamah, Australia

But I did collect some palm seeds previously without finding out their name. Took some photos of them and suspect these seedlings are from them. Some where along the line I must have mixed the aroid and palm seeds.

I'm sure the seeds that sprouted are from these in the photo.

noonamah, Australia

Another photo of the suspected parent plants. So I'm hoping someone here might be able to suggest an ID, thanks.

noonamah, Australia

This seems to have everyone stumped. In a few weeks I'll be going over to where I got these and will ask around there. Also by that time the seedlings will be a bit bigger, they are growing fast.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Pinanga? Not a native of Australia?

noonamah, Australia

I've only got one Pinanga species (kuhlii), PACSOA lists 147 of them. But the photo they show of the typical Pinanga inflorescence is different to the one in my photo.

Don't know if it's a native, it was in the Cairns botanic gardens without any label. They're usually fairly good with labels, but not for this one. I'm going to be back there in a few weeks so I can look again and/or ask. I'll post the answer when (I hope) I get it. I've got too many mystery palms at my place. Would love to be able to put names to them.

noonamah, Australia

When in Cairns the other week I went back to the botanic gardens to find this palm again. Searching around the base of the clump I found an old tag that had been pushed up against a rock by the growing clump. The name was Calyptrocalyx schultzianus.

Couldn't find it listed on the PACSOA site but googling turned up a French site which said it was a synonym of Calyptrocalyx elegens. No information on that species on PACSOA either, although they had it listed. A check of the Kew Gardens database confirmed that Calyptrocalyx elegens is the current name and Calyptrocalyx schultzianus is a synonym.

Mystery solved.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.