MOON VINES

Ashland City, TN

I'M NEW TO THE COMPUTER WORLD BUT HERE GOES. I NEED HELP LOCATING INFO ON HOW TO HOW TO GROW MORE MOON VINES FROM THE SEEDS ON MY EXISTING VINE.

AS YOU CAN TELL, I'M ALSO NEW AT GARDENING.

THE INFO I'M SEARCHING FOR IS PROBABLY RIGHT AT MY FINGERTIPS BUT PATTYCAKE IS HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING IT.

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS ALL

Hi Pattycake and welcome to Dave's Garden'

You need to first let the seeds dry on the vine. Harvest them and save to plant next season. If ya don't take them off,they'll just fall into the soil and more than likely come up again next year'

You'll have plenty,I'm sure,lol' Moon vines usually die with freezing temps. Not sure of your zone if they just keep on living through winter' But if they do set seeds,then you can save them and use also to plant elsewhere too' Hope this helps you some' Sis'

BTW we also have a seed saving forum and seed trading forum,see ya'

Ashland City, TN

SIS, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION. WHEN I HARVEST THE SEEDS, DO I JUST KEEP THEM LIKE IN AN ENVELOPE UNTIL READY FOR PLANTING? THEN WHEN SHOULD THEY BE PLANTED? MAYBE IN THE EARLY SPRING? DON'T THE FLOWERS SMELL WONDERFUL. WISH I COULD PUT ONE UNDER MY NOSE WHEN I SLEEP. "ha ha".

SEE YA

PATTYCAKE

You're sure welcome and glad to help' After you harvest them and they dry(in the pods) hold them over a container and squeeze(gently) and the seeds will fall out.

Do not,put them in a envelope,Pattycake,until they are totally dry. I let mine just dry naturally on a tray for a few days,then take them from the pods' After they're completely dry,put them in envelopes and mark the date you harvested them,color etc. Don't store in the frige'

Yes,you're right,in the spring. Some choose to "nick or score"the seeds before planting,you're choice. Me,I just soak overnight or longer in room temp water,then plant immediately' Good luck,they are really easy Pattycake and hope you have tons of them too. They're one of my favorites and of course,my bunnies too.lol See ya,'round the garden'Sis'

Hey Pattycake,nearly forgot we have a welcome mat,so come on over and let us all welcome you'''Ok?

(Zone 8a)

Hey Patty,
I would recommend nicking the seeds for I put some in soak and my son was involed in an accident out of town and I was gone for 3 weeks and the buggers were still just sitting there, so I nicked them and they sprouted in a day and off to the dirt they went and have blessed me with some gorgeous blooms since!

Hope this helps!

I have a moon vine and I dont seem to have seeds yet there is alot of blooms but no seeds. Are the seed pods going to look like they do on morning glory vines?
Thanks in advance.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

Moonvine seed pods are bigger and more pointed than MG pods, and take longer to ripen.

Great thanks

(Zone 8a)

They are lots bigger than mg's...lots bigger!!! Wait til they turn brown and dry and you can hear them rattle as you shake the pod when dry!

Cheers!

Hey, you wonderful little Sis!! Ain't this fun!!?? You are just like a duck in water on this computer thing, and I'm SO proud of you!!

Did you see that Juno has joined up with NetZero? Ain't that a hoot! Won't affect us, tho.

Love,

Andy

And BTW, I'm "watching your thread!"

AW

HUGH?

question here?????
Just how long would you normally soak the seeds and how deep do you plant them, and how many in an area do I plant to go up an arbor?When can I start to plant these ? Should I plant directly in the ground or in pots first? How long do the blooms last and when do they start to bloom?

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

I usually soak them overnight, then plant the ones that have swollen. I let the rest soak another night, and any that haven't swollen by then I throw away. They don't nee to be very deep---just barely cover them. You can sow them outside once the ground is warm, or you can start them inside in pots. I haven't yet determined if this is worth it in Zone 7---they don't really do much growing until the weather gets hot anyway. I am considering pre-heating my soil by covering it with clear plastic for aweek or two before I plant my seeds, but DON'T plant them until all dnger of frost is past. They don't usually begin to flower until mid to late summer, but the then flower until frost kills them. The individual blooms only last one night. As to how many, I'd say it would be better to have too many than too few---treat 'em like morning glories, and if they're too thich you can pull a few. DON'T fertilize them---they like poor soil.

Thanks MsBatt, really do appreciate all the info there.The reason I asked was,hubby get me another arbor to put up and thought I would put it up at the start of our walkway and wanted to plant red & blue morning glories and the moon vine.
Thank you again

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

hope this url http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/flowers/moonflr.html help everyone understand more about the moonflower.

i have planted moonflower for the past 2 yrs. so far i have never been able to get seeds to mature. cold weather, even in zone 8 rots the seed all the time. pls. take note, although i am in zone 8, we are about 3,898' above sea level. plus the constant strong winds - often times blow the flowers away. i always have to buy my seeds each year.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I am with you MaVieRose! I am in zone 6 and mine just started blooming toward the end of August! I placed her in a pot so I could bring her in this winter so I dont have to start from scratch again next spring! I hope I get a few seeds to maturethistime around.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.