Garden Pics: Late Summer Beauties!

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Come one and come all to this thread that is for just about anything that is going on in your garden, or whatever plants you felt like taking pictures of!! I hope that everyone joins in from anywhere, since we're all Northwest of somewhere!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1022298/

One of my favorite little ground covers has a few blooms on it now!

Thumbnail by redchic01

a Hosta hanging out in the afternoon sun.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Wouldn't you know that I forgot to spray my pot ghetto with deer spray when I was spraying Everything else two days ago! I can't stand that doe and she's raised her kids to be just as carefree around people as well. Keep in mind that I was standing close enough to her to get that picture without any zoom.

Thumbnail by redchic01

on to better things!

Thumbnail by redchic01

I wasn't really expecting a spider to crawl out of that still curled petal.

Thumbnail by redchic01

I'll finish for now with my water shot for the day.

Thumbnail by redchic01
(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Ewwwwwwwwwwww spider *squick* *squick* *squick*

I don't care if they're good for the garden... they creep me out! ;p

Love the groundcover shot with water droplets... what is the plant?

lol. I'm ok with a spider that size and color! It's easy to tell that it's not one of our mean or nasty spiders. I was just surprised when I bent down to look at the flower and it came out of there.

Thanks. It's Delosperma (Ice plant) 'mesa verde' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67208/

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 12:25 AM

My plants aren't blooming very well yet because I just planted them a couple of months ago and they were originally 2, 4" sizes that I devided for a total of 4 really little plants. Even though they're not blooming much, they sure are growing like crazy!!

Thumbnail by redchic01

Thanks for the link! I added that one to my "want" list. I have no idea where I would put it, but I want it! ;)

lol. Well, one very big "up side" to that plant is that it will fit just about anywhere really!. It only gets about 2" tall and grows outward where ever it has room to grow. It usually cohabitates with other plants, that it will grow by, fairly nicely and doesn't Usually run over other plants.

oh, and as for a place to put it.... In the sunniest, hottest place in your yard! It can even take crapy soil, providing that it drains ok.

Hmm. That was my concern, that it would smoosh other plants out of its way... good to know. :)

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Pony, I love the look of the ice plants, too, but find that they are not hardy in my yard. Wonder if others have had that experience, too????

Mom mom loved ice plants and we had quite a few around the yard when I was growing up. They did great with little to no attention and always came back. That was the same zone as here. They've also returned every year at my landscaping places. So, I'm not really sure what the catch is. I do know that some species are not as hardy as others, buytt that all that I know!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Red..wonderful pictures. I with Pony..I could do without the spider. A huge hobo spider was ticked with me this morning while watering...guess I got him wet. He scambled away for shelter from the "rain". Yuck!

Mr Lincoln was looking handsome this morning. He smells wonderful too!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This red rose is blooming all mixed up with my tomato plant. Best red I have seen yet on my tomatoes this season.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Impressionist is starting to bloom again. Beautiful climbing rose!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A new little frog with a pink water lily.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I love the spiders. The Pacific Dampwood Termites are out now (I do live a rainforest) and they freak me out. My little and big spider sentries are catching them. Haha!! The cats and dogs are helping . . .

Bea.... Lovely red rose. I'm completely with you on the hobo spider. They freak me out because of how similar they look to the recluse! that's the whole reason why I don't mind the white one.... I can tell immediately that it's fairly harmless.

Katie59....Haven't seen you in a while! I wish that my cats would help out with those creatures. That'll never happen though.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Shelly - tell your cats that termites are a human delicacy in some cultures - they have lots of protein and are said to be sweet, I think . . .

It is hard to capture the contrasting beauty of the lacecap hydrangea.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a pic of hardy begonia "Begonia grandis" with a fatshedera in the pot behind it. Surprisingly the fatshedera survived in the pot over the last winter! (please excuse me if I am repeating myself)

Thumbnail by Azorina
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

oh PNW, beautiful blue Lacecap. May I please have another cutting of it? This time I will label it!!!

azorina... you can repeat yourself as much as you like. I love begonia grandis!

Sharron... that blue lace cap is beautiful!

I just had to show this picture.

I believe that she's letting the dog know that he's too close! But, more importantly, that she's the boss!!!

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by redchic01
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

The better to eat you with, my dear. That's a great catch, Shelly!

Thanks! I forgot that I was going to put on there that the dog must be getting to close! I'm going to have to edit that. lol

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Check out her whiskers. They look so cool.

Eugene, OR

Looks like a big ol yawn to me!! Good catch!

Thanks to both of you! yep, she does have a health set of whiskers! she can really tickle a person with those things.

Sally.... it think it was some where between a yawn and a snarl! lol. she was definitely waking up because I got down on the floor next to her with the camera. But, the dog can't resist getting very excited when someone's at his level... so he came a running at us. So part way into the yawn she got sort of peaved at him. It was a sort of cat snort I guess then! lol.

Eugene, OR

Just to let him know who's boss!! LOL If mine get serious, the hackles are up, she just looked too relaxed (sleepy?) to be serious. Never hurts to show the teeth!!

she is sort of relaxed. But, it takes a bigger dog to get her hackles up! lol. She's still a little bigger than the dog. I love it. Especially because he's a big dog trapped in a little dogs body. She's more scared of the cracks in the tile than him. So, I wish that she would defend herself more just to teach a lesson! Like your cat!

LOL! I love yawning cat photos! I did a "LOLcat" of my Henry yawning last year:

Thumbnail by the1pony

That's awesome Pony!!! I love it.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

"Great yawning pictures Batman!" Sorry couldn't resist.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Wow so many great photos. I have been at the beach for 5 days without a computer so I'm way behind. Just too many photos to comment on all. However, the pic of the big salmon really caught my eye. I have never been fishing!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Had to catch up again LOL
Great pics as always ^_^

Nothing like showing all them teeth, and how big I can bite. To keep any dog at bay.

This is going to be, maybe the best of the lot. So deep it almosts looks black.

"Summer night"

Thumbnail by tillysrat

A combination created by accident. (One of SO many)

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.