More Basil

Keaau, HI

Here is a new thread for the Band of Gypsy's.

And is is the start of More Basil!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Hey, I'm not a Gypsy, I'm a Rebel!
If you hadn't figured that out by now, I thought I would let you know!

I'm gone.

(Zone 5b)

gosh please don't make start thinking of food, I have to work off 2 lbs of fudge! lol

Keaau, HI

Rebels included too Kassy!

It's a great day out here; going to turn over a new row for greenbeans, fertilize the nursery & veggie gargens.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I am gonna stay inside....I love hearing the thunder, but am a chicken about being out. I have had lightning strike within 10 feet of me 3 times....3 is the charm....haul your fanny inside, girl. grin
I have maybe a dozen projects inside I could work on, but here I am by the window thinking about all I could do outside. Worse than a kid sometimes.....I wanna go outside and play.....

Keaau, HI

Hey Jean, are you getting those series of storms that were headed for Florida, or are they headed up Rachel's way?

Whenever there's thunder & lightning, I stay inside. It tends to touch down a lot in the area; several of the neighbor's houses have been hit over the years. My phone line does have a lightning rod attached.

Good news about lightning is that it causes Nitrogen to crystalize and fall on the ground.

Then that must be what's sticking to my shoes....grin Yesterday was hours of rumble and flash and not a drop of rain. Lightning struck the neighbor's pine tree again...about the fourth time for that poor giant. Maybe the last time from the amount of bark on the ground.

This mess is coming in from the gulf, probably a bit from the mess in Florida, but we have a whole system moving in from Texas to the west of us. Just had a major tornado hit Beaumont, Texas around lunchtime. They are about 200 hundred miles southwest of me. Things are starting to pop in the Atlantic....ah hurricane season....and we don't get to hunt anything and storms don't have a bag limit. grin

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmmmmm, trying to figure out where I am going to put a rebel thead.......Hmmmmmm

(Zone 5b)

Dave 2 questions...
I saw a lightning rod that I thought would make a good vertical accent, is that a good idea scientifically speaking?
You have to explain further the benefits of nitrogen crystalizing and falling on the ground? I know air is mostly nitrogen and 21% oxygen but that's as far as that goes lol

Moon I hope you weren't wearing your favorite shoes, I hate when I get nitrogen stuck to my shoes!

Kassy now I have that song stuck in my head..."with a rebel yell, she cried more.." who sings that? Am I dating myself with that? lol

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Billy Idol :) no, I am lol.........

(Zone 5b)

That's it! thanks! I'll be singing it for days now!

Good to see you here babeegirl;-)

Rachel

Appreciate the link Dave! Will do.

Rachel

If anyone is interested in receiving the newsletter from the Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources, Wild Resources Conservation Program. It is known as "Keystone Wild! Notes", and here is the link:

I"ll Do a rebel yell to the rain NO more,more,more....got a gully washer today.

Well, Lynnie, it ruined my Manolo's.....I think that's how it is spelled..all that nitrogen hit those over inflated priced shoes and....BAM

This message comes to you from the other side of the rainbow....grin

Jean, keep us informed of your weather. I know your state is bound to get hit harder than us! Had some rain here today but nothing like some of the surrounding countie's. Thank YOU GOD;-)

Hi babeegirl, hi Rachel. How are Y'all? Kassy, do you work tonight?

How'd the gardening go Dave? Get you beans in? Hey Lynnie, do you go back to work tomorrow? Been trying to remember my Algebra II theorums......that is just so not fair....grin

Will do Rachel. Usually our big thing here is wind and rain, storm surge is not really a threat as we are 60 miles or so inland. Looks like things are heating up.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

hello:) I've been hanging out in the quilting forum lately. My garden is winding down for the season, I've got greenbeans going and the tomatoes are still cranking out. It's the giant sunflowers that my daughter planted that are going like gangbusters right now. This is the time of year I start planning my Christmas quilts for gifts and I volunteered to make a donation quilt for my workplace to benefit our Adopt-a-family family at Christmas. Last year the donations were really sparse so I'm hoping the raffle brings in a good amount. We use all the funds to get the things the kids have on their wishlist. It was an absolutely beautiful day and evening here. Cool, calm and clear.

Good on you, babeegirl. Christmas should always be the one best magical time in a kids life.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

uh oh...I just looked at the radar....looks like a whopper of a storm is headed towards Wichita.

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Your still getting rain moon? I think we got some only one day since those 4 days in a row when I was at my BF's.

Welcome babeegirl ^_^

Dave, you better name the next one Gypsy's and Rebels, or I'm finding a new home :p .

Delhi, LA

"He got fightin mad that rebel lad." anybody remember that one? Come on down here Kassy, we are all rebels. Still fly the flag and everything. I'm with you on this hundred post thing Kassy, I jump around all over the place and there are a lot of threads with over a hundred posts. They don't stick to the subject anybetter than we do. They're doing surgery on one I was reading. They didn't know much about it so I filled them in. What the hey, I've spent the last thirty years at the hospital. Even a red neck learns a little along the way.

Looks like you are one the outer edge of the storm Rachael. Turning more out to the Atlantic. Hope those babies all stay out there this year.

Keaau, HI

Hey Kassy, just for you, let's name the next one "Rebel Yell!"

You don't have to agree, with the powers that be, to be patriotic.

Some other threads do go long without being corrected. Tropical Plants and the Aussie channel have threads that get about 200 before they renew, and they don't get cut!

Hope the link is helpful Rachel; are you still threatened by the storms? (The Lepidolite gets its' purplish color from Lithium.)

Hope the weather is clearing up Jean. I worked the garden till I couldn't stand the heat, and went to town (Hilo).

Lynnie, what do you mean by a lightning rod accent; don't be trying any of that Ben Franklin stuff. I'll put together a detailed explanation of lightning causing Nitrogen to fall out of the sky. (Incidentally, the modern technology of using electrical charges to crystalize Nitrogen, from Nitrogen gas, is modeled after Nature.)

Hey Jim, was that song "Hot Rod Lincoln"?

Hows'it Babeegirl; E komo mai! Show us your plants!

What happened to Ican?

Thanks for the posts all! talk you y'all in the mornin'!

(Zone 5b)

Eeeek! Not nitrogen on your manolos Moon! The horror! Please don't scare me like that! I think you missed the posts about my love of shoes?
So Dave I should leave the lightning rods alone? I really like those antique lightning rods and I need a vertical accent. Well even if I put a sculpture out there, unless it were made of rubber, it would conduct electricity. Why do we WANT to crystalize nitrogen? not just to ruin shoes, I hope ;)
I found that bit of green beryl, I'll get a picture. I'll check out that link, it looked interesting. I was too busy sweating yesterday.
Jim where's that surgery thread, that sounds like fun.
Kassy do you have time off again?
Hey did anyone tell Iican where we are?
babeegirl whenever you need a break come on over!

Keaau, HI

Hey Lynnie, do you mean as a garden sculpture? Certainly! Just so your not connected to them. (Make sure your house is grounded according to your local building code.)

Nitrogen is part of most fertilizer.

Basically what happens in the sky is: Lightning strikes (I think from friction.) and burns up the gases. The reaction causes solid Nitrogen to fall out of the sky. The sound of Thunder is the Air masses closing together on the empty space caused by the Lightning burning up material.

Thunder is the sound of the Sky clapping!

Lynnie, I remembered the shoes, that is why I chose Manolos....grin..We want crystallized nitrogen cuz the liquid stuff would freeze the manolos and your feet.....grin

Dave, if that is the case, then the sky gave the lightning a standing ovation here yesterday.....for a long time...must have called it back for at least 3 or 4 encores. I think one of the freakiest sounds is hearing the sky crackle and pop (no snap) like an overloaded transformer. You know it was an exceptionally big burn when the thunder is so loud and long it makes your ears buzz and the hair on your neck stand up. (not the only thing standing either....grin)

Dropped Ican a d-mail so she can find us. She should be home from her three day jaunt with family.

Yes, Kassy we have rain scheduled for the next 3 or 4 days....I want a schedule change, but nobody asked me...grin

Jim, I imagine you picked up a lot more than that in all those years of hospital visits..you could qualify for your Junior paramedic badge....grin

Rachel, I know it didn't hurt your feelings at all that Claudette decided not to visit you this go around...grin

Babeegirl, hope that storm line is kinder to you folks than it was to Beaumont. I have a friend in Saint John, which I think is fairly close to you...maybe an hour away?

I went to visit my friend, Zap at his landscape nursery yesterday. He called and said he had a little something for me, so please drop by......This is a Bronze Loquat tree

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

This is a Crinum sanguineum being checked out by Bob

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

I think he called this one a red cone ginger....gotta look it up.....oh, Da-ave....grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

This is a' little plant' elephant ear....I'm not sure if they like the term dwarf....

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

another ginger

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

a third ginger

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

a tri-color ginger and Lubersii

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Now, if the rain stays away....yeah right....I have some figuring to do....where the dickens these guys are gonna live. I may take the most expedient route for everything but the Loquat....step them up to larger pots and put them in the greenhouse for the winter. DHJim was thrilled to see the loquat....not so much the rest...grin. This fall I have the loquat, two satsumas,two filberts, two dwarf plums (they don't mind being called dwarves) 4 bottlebrush, and 3 crape myrtles to plant.

Have tiller, will dig. grin

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Beaumont is not very far. There's the coolest restaurant there, or used to be, I haven't been there for a while. Light aircraft pilots can land and taxi right up to their own parking lot for lunch. Good food too :)

I was thinking about us being a BAND of gypsies, and everyone's liking for minerals/rocks, and decided we could all be A Rock Band of Gypsies.

Lynnie could be RockSteady cuz she is steadily getting more rocks...Dave, kinda obviously could be LavaRock, Jim, because he is Rev. Jim our Rockof Ages, Kassy, since she works so many nights and has to sleep days, could be our BedRock, and I am still working on names for Rachel and Ican...the brain will only handle so much at a time....grin....oh, and obviously, since I tend to space out....MoonRock. Rain gives the brain too much time to wander...grin

Okay, the brain stumbles on...how about IditaRock for Ican cuz she lives near the Iditarod course? Rachel, you are gonna have to help me here, I just don't think rockfish or rockgym suit you at all, and I have been searching for rock references in Virginia all morning......maybe Lover Rock, cuz Virginia is for lovers......grin

Keaau, HI

Hi Jean,

The Crinum looks like Crinum asiaticum 'Traubii', Red Crinum.

The 1st "Ginger" looks like Costus speciosus, Crepe Ginger. Costus Family.

The 2nd "Ginger" might be Curcuma siamensis, need more details.

The 3rd is a Curcuma, need a flower.

The 4th, looks like Ctenanthe oppenheimiana 'Triclor'. C. lubbersiana in back. Ctenanthe are Maranta Family members.

Hi everyone. Jean you crack me up on naming us all and love that tricolor ginger plant.........pretty!

Edit: OK, Jean.......I'll take Lover Rock;-)

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 1:33 PM

Keaau, HI

Hi Rachel!

Looks like the italic command is not functioning correctly. I know I typed it out the right way.

Here is Crinum asiaticum 'Traubii'. (Hope that works.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.