Some current CP pics...

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Sarracenia Minor

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Arlington, TX

You have some nice plants, wonder if S. minor would do well in TX? I like the "hoods".
Cheryl

Sure they would. Don't see why not.

Arlington, TX

Heat might be a problem but I might order one and see.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful S. minor, Tommy. :)

The S. minor is native to Florida, as far south as Tampa. Our heat index gets up to 115 -- regular temps get up to about 95 normally. We are above 90 degrees from May until October. I have grown about 15 S. minors from seed that are about 3 years old now.

Just keep them wet. I find S. minors are little more difficult than other Sarracenia.

Arlington, TX

How tall are those plants?

About 1 foot.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

1'? That's a pretty nice size. Looks like some healthy S. flava and S. purpurea in the background too.

Yup, I have those too as well as a White top, Scarlett Bell, a Doodle bug and a Judith Hindel.

north coast nsw, Australia

how nice is this sarra...

Thumbnail by breeindy

back...flava var. rubricorpora in flower.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2009 1:44 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy

VERY nice!

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! Really nice. Another Florida native.

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

so. I'm a month late.
It is still a beautiful plant.

Minors like it wetter than some of the other sarra's don't they? I got a small one...

Thumbnail by breeindy

I treat my minors like any other Sar.

I just put all of my temperate CPs to bed for the winter. In the fridge they went yesterday.

I guess that would keep them from freezing.
What do you have it set at?

Arlington, TX

Tommy,
Some of the Sarracenia are from cold regions. MI, my home state is zone 5 and S. purpurea grows naturally there. I understand the VFT's because they are from zone 7 but some would survive a NY winter wouldn't they?
Cheryl

Fridge is 40F.

Yes Cheryl, Purps can tolerate the winter here but I play it safe and just throw them in the fridge with the rest. Each Sarr and VFT is taken out of the soil, rinsed of soil around the roots, placed in a zip lock type bag and then the fridge. They get fresh soil in mid-late February when I wake them up.

Arlington, TX

You are dedicated. I am not sure I would try to grow them if I had to refrigerate them. I often miss my old zone 5 garden and the rain, seasons and plants but sometimes I realize that living in zone8 has some definate advantages.
Cheryl

Will you look at my pic and tell me what it is.
It's been raining today , there is a Serissa in the pot above.
Have to move them, have a waterloving hound that love that
gets in there once in awhile.
Charleen
Thank you for the help.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Now I am not a complete expert yet but I think I see a Sarr. Flava in there, not positive though. They are all Sarracenias from what I can see. Varieties I'm not so sure of.

could it be a sarr alata?
But it wasn't rosy color as this is but the blooms were very similar.
I have it in one of those tubs that is used for mixing concrete.
They stqarted out as a 1 gal. size container.
Thank you for the help.
Charleen

You can cut back them damaged and any dying pitchers and new ones will form very fast. It's hard to name any without seeing a full new pitcher. There is alot of hybrids and alot of un named sarracenia crosses.
Are they in full sun, just looks like a trees covering them?

So I can trim them all back and they will regrow??First I have to move them. My pup likes to lay in there.
That's is why they look so rough. They were very pretty early in the season. Thank you for the help.
Charleen

What season is it there? They sleep during winter and as it warms up will produce heaps of new growth very fast, you can almost watch the pitchers grow.

We are in our Fall Season, right now.
Charleen

When I put my Sarrs to bed for the winter I cut off ALL the pitchers. You'll get all new ones when they wake up in late winter....

Thanks for the help.
Charleen

Being neally winter where you are they won't grow to much now, maybe some winter leaves. You can lower the water level there in in winter so they don't rot and they'll grow again fast as it warms up.

Thank you Breeindy for your help.
Charleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.