August - What's happening in your garden? Part 3

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

All are welcome to join in the fun! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1025818/

E_B – Your garden is beautiful! I remember seeing the erratics in Raccoon State Park. I didn’t know what they were called or how they were formed. Great pictures!
Kelli – Beautiful flower pics!
Ric – LOL! Who is that doggie in the picture?

79.0 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 75 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 83 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2200 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. Highs around 90. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Cosmos

Thumbnail by MySharona
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hurricane Bill
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028021/

(Zone 7a)

I had a big post yesterday but I must not have hit SEND. (sigh)

MIL home is almost cleaned out. More boxes to go through but nothing of any significance. The house will go on the market next month. Finally.

69.8 °F with 81º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 25%
Dew Point: 32 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 14000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

The owner of the house across the street has kindly let me take some sempervivum out of his front yard. He has had to clean and repair most everything in the house because the idiots who were living there destroyed it. These were the noisy ones. He has given us his phone # and asked if we would call him if we see anything bad. He rented the house to 3 people and ended up with 9. And a dog.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Several babies were thrown into the gift.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm gone for two days and way behind again!
EB: love the black-eyed susans! I have a few this year but not nearly as many as you do!
Kelli: I'm with you on housecleaning--it would be so much easier if you didn't have to go around and pick up the clutter first--LOL
Ric: cute pup--what a face! The Illustris is looking great--it likes you! :o)) The Big Dipper likes it down here, too. Has about 15 or 16 leaves on it and it seems to be getting taller on a daily basis!
Rann: and I was complaining the other day because we are starting to get dark by 7:30 p.m. :o((

edited to add: well, I certainly don't know how it happened but half of my post disappeared when I hit send so I'll add it here:

Sharon: it's good to see you posting again--we were getting worried about you. pretty cosmos you have there
Celia: don't you just hate it when you've spent several minutes typing up a long post and you forget to send it!--LOL Stranger things have happened, though, as I mentioned above.

I was going to add a photo of my DGS and Friday "surfing the net" together this morning but I forgot I downloaded the photo to my old desktop because DGS and Friday were using my new laptop! LOL

Here are two sunflowers for you to look at instead(along with "Farmer Bud")

This message was edited Aug 17, 2009 5:45 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Helluuu! We just had a monster T-Storm. Jack is following me very where! Poor guy really is afraid of thunder.
T-storms: 68°F
Feels like: 68°F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 68°
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 4 miles
Precip in last hr: 0.01 in
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 6:42 AM
Sunset: 8:13 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Darius, I don't want it! :) Are you going to get to go to the fair? And have you found the persons for whom you were looking? LOL! How's that for proper English? :D
Thanks Ric, I am lovin' this job more & more every day. If I had only known that such a place existed before now! ;) I'm going to try & get some pics of a few of the large (150 gal.) salt water tanks. I don't know what the rules are for bringing a camera into the plant. In the show ponds outside some of the Koi are as long as my forearm!
Thanks E_B, Great Shots! Some of those rocks look like the ones I sit on when I hunt. It's called a 'birds eye view'! :D I could live in one of those cabins! And your kettle has my name written all over it! 'need apple butter!' :D It's about that time of year, too! ;)
Kelli, Love the Texas Ranger & 'Tunies' are one of my favorite annuals! ;D Are they annuals at your house?
Sharon! There you are! ;) Love the Cosmos..what a beautiful orange! :D And Sylvester! LOL! :D
Celia! I have got to get me one of those cameras! Or maybe it's just the picture taker... How do you get such good pics of your hummers!?
Mau, My Amaryllis still isn't blooming...it's growing taller, tho! LOL! About the 'alginated' water! :D And why weren't you in that 'bloomin' picture? LOL! Good Shot! :D
Bernie! Nice set-up! And what gorgeous produce & flowers!! :D Glad your efferts 'paid off'. ;)

Well, gotta mosey...
TTYL

saucer sized...
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, Joey: saucer-sized is right! Your Amaryllis will probably bloom this next spring. I wasn't in that picture above because I was "manning" the camera! LOL "Pau" did take one of me with the kids, though. I can't believe that was two years ago! Time flies, etc. (even when you aren't having fun--it's already been nine months since Pau "went home"--it's hard to believe he's been gone that long.)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Celia, I feel your joy. Our awful neighbors moved out like five years ago and I am still thankful. (The Loud Woman is minor league stuff compared to those guys.)

Marilyn, LOL at the sunflower picture

Joey, I think petunias are short-lived perennials here. I'm not sure. I can't remember if I ever had any before.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on August 17, 2009
83 °F
Clear
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 54 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.82 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 °F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

little video of oak woodlands - the red is poison oak - the bird squawking is a scrub jay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STMf5jaLRaE

poison oak and purple sage

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cool Oak Video!
Nice that the PO is in Fall coloration. I hate that stuff!
The Jay sounds like our local one but higher pitched.
Is that fire damage on the Oaks or just shadows?
Beautiful trees. Like a small Southern Live Oak.

Joey I was wondering if that T-Storm got you.
We could see it building all day but we maybe got 40 drops and a few rumbles.

Gonna be a hot one tonight.
Low 70's.....
High 80's today and a blistering sun when it was out.
Nice to be wading in the pond most of the day....LOL!

We got SOME work done on the Pond.
First thing we had to go over to Lowe's for supplies.
Our formerly WAY too big pump is perfect for the new Pond.
I just had to get bigger tubing and some fittings.
We're running a smaller trickle fall at the far end so a 't' and valve, etc were needed.
Then move a bunch of dirt and wash down the rocks.

Then our son popped in to do laundry and of course that slowed us down.
We're used to working w/ no distractions....lol!

But the Falls are started and running.
This is by no means the final look.
Believe me from past experience I know this design will change.
And of course the water level will be higher, as will the rocks behind and beside the 'Falls'

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

The black looks to be mainly shadows and some natural darkness of the bark, but there could be a touch of fire damage, too. The trees are old enough to have seen several fires in their life. I don't recall this area burning during the time I've lived out here, which has been 22 years.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelli, I take it you aren't allergic to poison oak? I wouldn't dare get that close to it--I'm highly allergic to it. I've also heard that even the wind can blow the oils from the leaves from one place to another and you can be exposed that way--don't know if that is an old wives tale or not but I don't take any chances. LOL
Ric: the pond is looking good and the waterfall too. I can hear it now--how soothing that must be to hear it "close up and personal". . . .and kids do have a way of turning up when they need to do laundry, huh?

(Zone 3b)

It's been nice catching up, again:) The projects/sales and posts have been great to read.
After a few days of rain, it's now sunny and nice.
We took a short drive to the Knik river where it flows into Knik Arm. It's a glacier fed river and the glacial silt makes it gray.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Mau!
Yep the 'Illustris' like the place.

Kiska.... BRRRRRRRRR!
Man that water has to be cold!

T-Storms are popping up all over around us.
NE Ohio is getting a pounding but that's 200 miles from us.
The one currently about 40 miles south of us looks like it will miss us.

Mau you CAN get it from the smoke.
I spent a day in the hospital and a week getting over PI gotten that way.
Lungs, eyes and throat and 80% of my body were involved.

Ric

Marilyn, I seem to be immune to poison oak/ivy. I've never had it. You can lose immunity to it, so knock on wood!

(Zone 7a)

Joey, you get good pics of the hummer the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. ^_^ This is from last year with the not-so-good camera.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Celia – Going through your MIL’s house has been quite a journey for you and Darrell. Good luck on the sale of the house. I’m surprised the sempervivum survives in the cold you get. Interesting. Renters can be destructive…I work for a long-term rental company. Did he get a security deposit? Make sure he gets a security deposit and to NOT consider it “first or last months rent”. If they leave the house in good condition they get it back, if not he keeps it to cover damages. He really needs to check into the UT laws.
Mau – Cute sunflowers LOL!
Joey – Gorgeous Hib!!
Ric – Lookin’ Gooood!
Kiska – I bet that water IS cold LOL!
Celia – I bought a 4th hummer feeder. They love it LOL! I’ve hung them all around the breakfast nook bay windows. It a constant source of entertainment to sit and watch the hummers and butterflies.

78.8 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 74 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 °F
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and afternoon thunderstorms. Highs around 90. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Painted Lady Hib blooming

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, he has a retired judge re-writing his leases. He owns 5 places so I don't know why it's such a problem for him. Shouldn't have a problem this time! LOL Pretty hib.

56.7 °F with 85º for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 40 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 15000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

My brother in OR sent me this a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: that river really does look cold--wouldn't want to fall in!
Ric: I shudder to think about what you went through when you had the PI in your lungs! I suppose that took LOTS of steroids for you to get over it?
Celia: practice makes perfect--perhaps your photos will have their own "concert" in Carnegie Hall one of these days--well, maybe in an art gallery instead? LOL Nice jpic of the birds on the sand--they were probably looking for little crabs which had burrowed under the sand, you think?
Sharon: love the color on that hib! Gorgeous!

Here's that picture of Zach and Friday "surfing the net"--it's a little fuzzy but still good for a smile, I think.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoops! I forgot the weather:

Currently 80ºF and sunny--heading for a somewhat cooler 86ºF this afternoon. Hey, It's better than 90+ !

Chester, MA(Zone 3b)

It is already a 85 at 10:30 a.m....can't breath outside at all...we have an air quality alert for ozone levels here and we are in the mountains at 1400 feet...I can't imagine what it is like down in the city. They have opened cooling centers down there for the ones who have no air conditioning. Our humidity level is indescribable....just step outside and the sweat starts pouring before you are off the threshold. The dewpoint is in the 70's of course....no wind... no clouds...and sun that is so bright it makes the eyes hurt....we have shuttered and curtained the inside of the house and set the mister on the plants for dispensing water every five minutes for 30 seconds or so...The plants survived yesterday so they should be fine today too but the larger garden is at risk today....The dogs are not let outside for more than two minutes even though the sheltie wants to lay in the sun....she has a coat on her that liz taylor would envy but she doesn't pant so we don't let her stay outside very often...it has to be in the 70's before she is allowed to enjoy the sun...Needless to say she is very bored when she can't lay with the chickens and geese. She likes to make sure they stay in their yard/pen. The turkeys are hot....they dehydrate so easily so we have set up a pool for them in a tupperware container as we did for the geese. the chickens dont know what to make of it...They just stare. LOL.

The picture is of how us humans feel right now....cuddled up inside with no sun. Thanks so much for starting this thread.....I needed to vent.

Day

Thumbnail by Daylahmnas
(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Day. Where do you live that it's so hot? Sending happy thoughts to you, the gardens, the pup and the fowl. I know that chicken stare. LOL I do it, too. ^_^

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Day! I take it you live somewhere in Massachusetts? It's hot and humid down here in the south, too. Sometimes people forget that our fine furry friends do suffer from the heat and humidity, too.. I don't let my little schnauzer out for very long during this heat and humidity, either. He thinks he wants to go out and play but when he gets outside, he starts panting really fast and in the meantime, the sweat is poring off me. I usually don't have too much trouble getting him back inside--LOL--although he does love to chase the squirrels around here.

The temp has moved up to 83ºF here. Still sunny--no clouds in sight. We could use another good soaking rain.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice and cool with scattered showers. We might hit 80 today but hoping not. LOL. I have a/c off and windows open!!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

76°F with scattered thunderstorms passing through the area. It looks like our short stretch of hot "summer" weather will be ending by next weekend with highs only reaching 69° and 70° and highs in the 60's next week.

marsue.........Cute photo. Fridays saying, woof, woof. Google Lassie. Please, please please Google Lassie!

Kelli........The sage and the red poison oak compliment each other well. Nice photo!

Here are a couple more photos from Clear Creek State Park. the first is an early morning trail scene.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Huge rhododendrons lined portions of the trail.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

The Clarion River winds past the campground.

early_bloomer

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And finally, one last shot of the rhododendrons along the trail.

early_bloomer

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celia nice jesture on your Brother's part but what are you going to do w/ a beach and a bunch of birds?

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Watch. Put up my feet and watch. After that...I'll watch some more.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Well we had a downpour this morning about 9 AM.
Of course there was a 10% chance of rain.
That took the humidity up to about 100% and made it great moving the last of the dirt.
It's raining about 40 miles north and south of us now.
Sunny here and 85. Nice breeze.......

But we got the dirt moved and the Deck and Boardwalk and ourselves somewhat scrubbed off.
Then I plopped back in the Pond and continued the rock work.
IF it dries out enough tomorrow may see it done.

Day Welcome!!

Well off to scrub up.

Ric

Quoting:
The sage and the red poison oak compliment each other well.

I said to DH, "Look how now nice that is with the red poison oak and the sage," and he looked at me like I was some kind of weirdo. LOL

Very nice today

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 18, 2009
80 °F
Clear
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 58 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.85 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

A couple more videos, but they're pretty so-so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuC4epS0bIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPbbPoDcgLs

phacelia seed pods - I never thought I'd be showing you seed pods of the Santa Monica Mountains

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

kelli~that's funny~can just imagine your DH's look after that comment. Seed pods are pretty, too.
60*F ~~mostly cloudy.
Welcome Day~ interesting reading about the heat; sounds just awful to deal with.
ric~have a great day tomorrow~wild weather in your part of the country would be difficult to deal with as well.
marsue~loved the computer pic of grandson and Friday.
kwanjin~looks like a great pic to sit and watch and dream of being there, too.
E_B~oh so pretty~lovely site and sight to see.
MySharona~how nice to have so many hummingbird feeders to enjoy the little birds~love the hibiscus blossom.
60 miles from Palmer~Matanuska Glacier. The headwaters of the Matanuska River.

Thumbnail by kiska
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

EB: funny you should say that about Friday "googling" Lassie-- He likes to watch the dog shows on Animal Planet--really! Lovely photos of the ferns and the rhododendrons!
Ric: you and Robyn have been busy--again!!
Kelli: interesting seed pods. LOL at your hubby!
Kiska: another lovely shot!
I think the weather people were all wrong on our temp. forecast today--it got up to about 93F--the temp. sign at the high school even said it was 100F later this afternoon but I don't think that was correct. We've had scattered thunderstorms all around the central AR area this afternoon but Cabot has only received a few sprinkles although the clouds helped to cool things off quite a bit.
I can still hear thunder rumbling in the distance--we might get some rain after all--hope so but I don't want any high winds or hail with it.

Everyone have a good evening!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's cooling off a bit but w/ the humidity you'd never notice.
77° Dewpoint: 72° Wind: S 4 MPH Humidity: 85%
For once we're getting above average night temps so what few tomatoes we have are finally ripening.
Forecast is for rain again in the morning..... but it wasn't forecast for this morning when it did....LOL!

e_b those are wonderful shots of a very pretty park. Thanks!

Look we have a deck again!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Rain tomorrow again and Thursday then it's supposed to be done for week. Still nice and cool all week. 70s and 80s. Is it really August?

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Wish I had more "garden" time right now, Been working a large side job (retail computer network). Do not think I have seen the garden behind the apartment for a few days but when a chance to make extra lands in your lap.

Been warm to hot and dry lately.

Care to all.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

I was expecting wind and rain today ... but the sun is peeking through the clouds. Still mostly cloudy so it'll probably be a brief appearance. Slightly breezy, probably around 56°F I'd guess.

EB - gorgeous photos! I especially like the misty river - just breathtaking!

Ric - lol! on Celias beach! The pond is shaping up nicely!

Celia - nice photo your brother sent you :-)

Mau - love the photo of Zach and Friday ..... :-)

Kiska - beautiful!

Sharon - stunning color on the hibiscus!

Hello Day! - sure hope it cools down for you, sounds miserable ....

Anther photo from our trip last week .... in Gjáin.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

74.0 °F with 88º for the high. These days are perfect.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 39 °F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 76 °F
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

My niece having a contraction at our house. I wish she'd hurry up and have this baby already. No word yet if she's gone to the birthing center. She had steady contractions every 10 minutes for 2 hours and then nothing. She did the same thing 1 week ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

52*F~ highs to the low 60's; no rain so far and so we're going to drive up to Hatcher Pass for a hike.
Good morning all; have a great day.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, as know I went to IL and took some Cahokia area and Woodhenge also there is so much walking...

Woodhenge:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.