Fall and Winter questions for new Iris gardener

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Yes I agree about planting irises early in the north. The only problem is getting them shipped early. Schreiner's sent mine out in late July this year, and that is the earliest I have ever planted new irises. They are all growing great, too!

Lakes of the Four Se, IN(Zone 5a)

I ordered from Superstition and Schreiner's this year. Got Superstition on July 15 and Schreiner's came the last week of July. All began to show new growth practically the minute they hit the dirt! Very exciting to watch!

Due to this spring's heavy rains and standing water along with my urge to grow lot's more bearded iris, I have been constructing raised beds all over the place! From now on it's the only way for me to go!

Raleigh, NC

i've said this before on other threads, I'll say it again here, our local deer won't eat the TB irises, but they sure like to pull them out of the ground. sometimes I'll find them turned over, but more often than not, they fling them. got more NOIDs this way, until they bloom and I find out which went where and what's missing.,

That's one pest I don't have. I feel sorry for those of you who have problems with deer.

Taylorsville, KY

Bonjon, I also have a LOT of deer -- when I plant the new iris, I spray them with jalapeno pepper juice. Keeps all the critters from even starting to munch! If it rains a lot (not a problem til this year!), I have to reapply, but worth the effort. Better than winding up with a bunch of NOID's!

Raleigh, NC

do you boil the jalapenos to make the juice?

Rutledge, TN

Yikes! I've planted over 700 rhizomes, I don't have that many bricks! I'm in zone 7, East Tenn. Do I need to worry about this heaving problem?

South Hamilton, MA

Probably not. Just keep an eye on the plants & push down if they seem to heave. After all, walking around the garden over the winter is good exercise.

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bluebunn - We do have winter heave that happens here in Tennessee. I put a light application of straw around mine in the late fall since I have too many to use rocks. Just a feathering over the top of the rhizomes works to keep them from being uprooted. Too much can cause rhizome rot, so use it sparingly. You should still be able to see the rhizome peeking through the straw.

As irisMA recommended, it is a good idea to walk around the garden over the winter, especially after it rains. I find that the rain often washes up some of my plant tags - so I'm continually pushing them back into place over the winter. I'm referring to the plastic t-labels. The metal ones stay in their places better since they are a little heavier weighted.

South Hamilton, MA

The deer can step on the metal ones--dratted animals.

Taylorsville, KY

Sorry, bonjon, I had to leave early yesterday. No, I don't boil the jalapenos -- I just buy a jar of sliced ones and use the juice from there. I cut it with 50% water and put it in my spray bottle. My kids eat the peppers (I don't!) and everyone is happy, except the critters. I watched a rabbit once start to nibble on a plant I had planted and sprayed 2 days before. He only got one little nip in before he was VERY unhappy. I felt guilty -- like it was cruel -- but I know people who eat these things like candy, so I know it won't cause permanent harm. But I have NEVER seen it near my iris again! I also spray it on the daylilies when they bud. The deer avoid it -- I think they can smell it. I started doing this after I watched an "adorable" little fawn, all spotted and cute, stroll down my daylilies eating each and every bud along the way, totally ignoring my screaming and having a fit, eventually stopping only because I was "running" towards it waving my cane wildly and yelling. Of course, my German Shepherd just stood there looking at ME! Sigh... Hey, anyone like venison? Help yourself!!!

Raleigh, NC

MissIrisbert - know how ya feel. I just made arrangments with a bow hunter to hunt my backyard for a week. am hoping spilled deer blood is enough to keep them away. and a lot of folks like venison. our bambis are getting brazen in my yard. up until recently, they were afraid of our dog. not anymore! guess they've figured out she likes to chase but never catch... they only move away from me if I get closer than 10 feet. they come right up to the house.

Gee, I would have LOVED to have seen that rabbit!

Raleigh, NC

well, I'll keep my camera ready!

The squirrels kept digging around my newly-planted iris until I sprayed the soil with "Get Away" squirrel repellent. The other morning I could tell they were chattering mad! Fortunately they couldn't get to the rhizomes since I cover them with chicken wire cages.

Soil heaving is the action of freezing and thawing of soil which injures the roots of newly planted irises. Newly set plants, especially in the northern part of the country, must be protected or they may not survive the winter. A light cover of marsh hay, straw or similar weed-free litter is recommended. Bricks placed on top of rhizome should be done to late planted irises.

Whatever is used it should be applied after the ground freezes. Its intent is to keep the ground frozen, not warm.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Searching tonight for information on whether I need to do anything to prepare my iris for winter. I never have in the past, just cleaned the browned leaves out in the spring, but that was more out of ignorance than any idea that it was the right thing to do. I stumbled across this thread--sure wish I'd read all this two years ago, when I planted a couple dozen iris, and had to keep pushing them back down every time they heaved!

So. . .cutting the leaves isn't necessary? Or even advisable? An elderly neighbor was scandalized that I didn't cut off my daylilies and iris, so I thought perhaps she knew something I didn't.

Also, when you fertilize in the spring, do you just sprinkle it on the surface in the iris bed? Or is it something you dissolve in water and apply that way?

Thanks to all the wonderful experienced iris gardeners who share their experience and knowledge!

Angie

South Hamilton, MA

We put 5-10-10 fertilizer on the bed as the powder & than water it, using drip line hoses because they are in place. You can use a regular hose, but fertilizer should be low nitrogen. Alfalfa pellets or meal is an organic fertilizer than many people prefer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.