New blooms

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I decided to share a few photos of my latest blooms. I thought that by now I wouldn't have anything blooming. Some are blooming for the second time after a prior pruning and some newer ones for the first time. These photos will not compare to those of our more experienced growers since I only started planting last spring. But, nevertheless, I'm no longer shy about sharing the results of my newly acquired addiction.

This is Ville de Lyon planted a couple of months ago. I planted a liner along with one of SSV's. They both bloomed, but Debbie's had more blooms. If things go well, they will outgrow this support in a couple of years, I hope.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

This is a Jackmanni I bought from Uncle Greenthumb this spring. The first time it did not have as many blooms as it does now after having been pruned. It's a little dark as I took it late in the evening.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Here is the same Jackmanni with surrounding annuals and perennials. Actually, I didn't invite the marigolds and zinnias. They volunteered from last year. I have to keep cutting back those plants as they want to take over the garden. Hubbie put up a fence so that I could secure them because they were falling over. I think they like the mushroom compost put in the soil last year, as I have zinnias about 6 ft. tall.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I finally got two blooms from Mrs. Chummie. Maybe next spring she will be ready to show off a little. This SSV vine was planted June 10 to replace a liner from Donahue's that died back shortly after planting. Hope it returns at some point. I'm just glad I finally had a chance to see a Chummie bloom in person.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I took this of The President before the blooms were fully open, but I bought two of them from Uncle Greenthumb and planted them together June 16 (planting more than one is something I learned from Guru) When they opened, I forgot to take another pic, but I loved the rich purple. I can't wait to see it next spring!

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Semu's first blooms to open!! I planted two of these together from SSV on June 24. One has grown to the top of a 6 ft trellis. Between the two of them, there are dozens of buds and blooms, although some are very small.

The other day I dug another clem hole right next to this trellis--ALL BY MYSELF! I'm going to let another clem share this trellis next year. Please feel free to make suggestions about what to plant there. It's in full sun. I already have enough purple and lavender on that end of the house.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

This was taken about 2 wks ago of Candida and Niobe. Both were planted as liners this spring and had been pruned a while back after first blooms, which were very few. I have several more Candida's in one-gal pots that I plan to pair with something this fall or early spring, depending on how the roots look. She is among my favorites so far. It's such a pretty white in my opinion.

Within the next week, I should have more to share, as I have buds on other clems I'm looking forward to see opening.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Wiggins, MS(Zone 8b)

Just beautiful! Next season is going to be georgous. My mom's jackmanni's are 4 years old on fan trellises and both are a solid wall of purple. A real wow in the garden.

Delaware, OH

sharkey, you are having amazing late season first year response from your plants. those duplicates you will never regret, you just can't get the same look in year 2 and 3 with one plant.......clems are the only perennial we expect so much of so fast.

i have 2 candidia laguinosa and have never been able to get more than a stem on them , then they die back. never had a bloom let alone that nice flush of flowers you have.
i need to try another one from a better source. these were local source like 4 years ago. they have never done anything like yours.....

re semu, mine is kind of alone too, not "with"another clem......do you want something to bloom at same time or something to stagger the blooms display in that area? i would love to see a texensis like gravetye beauty or sir trevor lawrence or princess diana, or a lady bird johnson if you were lucky enough to find one with semu. (i do not have LBJ, it is hard to find i think)

your niobe looks great too. what a great clem, yours looks like it is off to a super start.
they all look good. your president blooms next spring will be much bigger, these have that second flush look for sure.
all i can say is my first year results were just not there, you guys are getting much better results and have much to look forward to as they get some age on them and you continue collecting.

Delaware, OH

ps, wow those zinnias are like on steroids, no? love the gold color of the marigolds with the purple clem too. that color combo knocked my socks of out at joy creek. they did it with etoile violette and varigated chartreuse shrubs, among other combos......it is a super look!

New Richmond, OH

Sharkey, I planted Pagoda about a foot away from Semu. Semu has many buds but has not bloomed yet for me, expect it to pop today or tomorrow. Pagoda has sent up 4-5 vines and has quite a few buds with a few blooming. Very delicate foliage and blooms and I really like it. Think maybe I should have planted them closer, or even in the same hole? I like the look of the different types of blooms and foliage combos.

Appleton, WI

Great photos, Sharkey.

CG - I'm curious about something.... someone from Chicago on a different forum has a lot of clems and has been growing them for years. He said that clematis with lanuginosa in its bloodlines doesn't grow well for him. Lots of wilting problems and not coming back well after winter. While this is just one person's experience, I am curious if others in colder climates have the same problem.

In addition to Candida, some of the other clems with lanuginose bloodlines are: Daniel Deronda, durandii, Edouard Desfosse, Fairy Queen, Henryi, Jackmanii and Jackmanii Superba, Lawsonina, Mrs George Jackman, Perfection, Star of India, William Kennett and others. Do you have many trouble with these clems?

Delaware, OH

it is a documented fact that the lanuginosa bred clems (thanks for the spell check on that jj) have a tendency to wilt. most of the early large flowered cultivars were from patens and lanuginosa genetics and in the late 1800's wilting problems were so bad that clem industry was basically wiped out/ many cultivars were lost from cultivation. there had been a real boom of growing and collecting and clems were very popular. used for ground cover much as petunias are used to day, grown in conservatories and outside.
when the "great wilt" hit, that was over. many new cultivars now have different genetics, and there has been resistance built to the main fungal microbes or what ever they are that causes real wilt.
browned off leaves are not clem wilt, and even some blackened stems you see now may be fungal based, it is not the wilt as it was at that time.

i always have more trouble establishing and can get surprise die back from clems listed above and others. this "bloodline" is in many many many of our clems.....and is not the problem it once was (thank goodness)
usually the trouble is in the establishing time, once established (can take a few years) they have built up resistance to the microbes in your garden. clems that come from hot greenhouses and are treated with fungicides have less resistence and are more prone to the longer establishment period once they reach the real world and are not going to have fungicide protection.fungicide protection wears off in 3 weeks. when that wears off many die back and it takes a while for the root to recover and then it begins growing. and like some people and colds, some clems get them over and over and over.

this is why i do not destroy my brown and even blackish stems, i compost them with other vegetative waste. i want the plants to build resistance so they can flourish in my conditions.

this is what i know and believe and it is not represented as anything else.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Thank you for your comments, ladies. It's interesting that Candida L. hasn't done well in Ohio. I can't help but wonder why. I haven't had mine a full yr yet, so we'll see what she does next spring. She doesn't have multiple stems like my Niobe and HF Youngs, but has bloomed well so far.

In fact, tonight we finally got the "sink holes" filled and two knockout red tree roses planted next to front steps. The shrubs we removed left holes about 4 ft wide and very deep. We went to Dothan, AL, nursery and bought a truckload of good soil to put in them. With holes that wide and deep, don't you think I have a good excuse to plant a clem or two behind the rose without the roots interferring with one another? I'm thinking white; thus, the reason for a recent thread I started about whites. I just may use a Candida with each for early and late blooms and use a purple as well for contrast, a G3, so that blooms will alternate. What do you think? I have a couple of short, wide wooden trellises I got a good deal on recently. I'm thinking of putting them either in front of or behind the tall stalk, which is ugly.

I'm definitely planning to plant two Alba L.'s to climb through the stubborn shrub we could not budge. (as long as it will take the sun) I'll be putting two Don Juan climbers on the house in the same area in October. I love reds, whites, and purples together.

Delaware, OH

sounds pretty and well conceived, and well nourished sharkey.

hard to get more stems on a candida as far as my experience. glad they like your garden for sure. i have to try another source sometime. mine may just be not the best.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Do you think climate could have something to do with it? Maybe she just likes this miserably hot, humid weather. I wish more of them did.

I think I asked about Bonanza before, but I could use two of them with these two tree roses since they seem to be recovering so well in the "nursery" or "sick bay." The roots were very mature. And, I think they could be planted most any time now, unlike the one-gal. sized ones. I'm really just brainstorming, but love input. There's probably room for two separate collars as well--one for the white and one for purple.

Delaware, OH

sharkey, i love to hear the progress on those two clems. i should give them another chance with another purchase and see if it is different as far as candida. and bonanza may know it is not on the "best of" list , so may just need a little bit more love.

keep me posted for inspiration. i shouldn't be so quick to trash candida. yours looks great. i think i have one getting ready to bloom now.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm trying to be SO picky about which clems I plant in the front. I want to put some really good performers and pretty colors. But, I keep remembering what you said about one of the garden rules. You've got to be willing to re-do. You've been a good teacher, clem godmother.
I'll certainly keep you posted on these varieties. I also have a few more unfamiliar varieties in the nursery, such as Anna Louise. She's much smaller, only stems with buds now beginning to form. At least she is alive.
We have a tropical storm on the way shortly. The only good part is that I won't have to water for a few days. I've got to figure out how to keep the small pots from blowing away or ending up on the ground.
I just noticed that my very first blooms were open on Hagley Hybrid, planted this spring under crepe myrtle tree. I took a photo before storm ruins them. John Warren is also under there in a pot and they look very much alike to me. Is this HH? I thought it was supposed to be a darker pink.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, Huldine finally opened some blooms. This was a Donahue's liner I planted along fence with other liners in the spring as an experiment. I think it just needs another year before I'll see much from it and a few of the others on that fence. However, on the same fence I have an HF Young liner that has a lot of pretty blooms right now. I had cucumbers there last yr, but decided I like clems better.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Delaware, OH

john warren and hagley should not look alike, but the initial blooms on a clem are sometimes very off. so you can't say yet. wait for subsequent blooms. good for you re huldine blooms......

oooh, hope the storm is uneventful and unharmful. good luck with the small pots. no ideas here re that. guess you have to move them inside????
can't imagine. let us know what you do and how they do, ok?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations on so many beautiful blooms on such young plants! All that TLC paid off. Hope Claudette just brings some nice rain.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I just looked at the radar and it is still south of us right now. Of course, I didn't water today thinking it was going to storm any minute. It's been very windy here, though. September is usually more active as I remember.

Appleton, WI

Sharkey, I'm keeping fingers crossed, hoping you get the rain you need, but no damage.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Thank you. I'm just concerned about driving my 13-yr old granddaughter and her friend back to Tally tomorrow in the rain on I10.
I decided to snap a few more before the rain ruins them. I've fallen in love with Madame Julia Correvon today. From SSV, she is still in a 3-gal pot awaiting a home in the ground, but blooming already. I absolutely love the color of the blooms. I can tell she's going to be a real asset in the garden. No wonder she gets such good reviews.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Prince Charles' second blooms this season. He didn't want to look at the camera, so I had to get on the ground to snap the photo. He is planted with a Purpurea Plens Elegans, which still refuses to bloom, but PPE is a liner and the Prince was from SSV.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Delaware, OH

i love julia correvon so much. i got some additional plants locally for a bargain close out price. i am growing them out, and am going to create an additional display in a more predominant area iwth them. it is just a knock out of a clem.

sharkey, guess by now the storm is passed? hope so and all ok house wise, human wise and clem wise.

BTW , PPE does not take change easily but just needs a season , or part of one to regroup. same thing i do not think avante garde takes change well either, but nothing terminal, just not a quick responder. at least that is my experience with both.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

The heaviest wind and rain barely missed us, was further south on the coast. But I still think we'll be getting a lot of rain today from the way the radar looks. The next two months will be the critical time.

I did notice that after the heavy pruning I did a few weeks ago, Avant Garde is being VERY slow to put out new growth, whereas 3 or 4 others, including Kermasina have grown back rapidly. AG is finally putting out new leaf buds.

Baton Rouge, LA

Lovely blooms!!! Your babies are coming along wonderfully! Question... where did you get your strong hardware wire? I bought some of the green kind at Lowe's, but I'm not happy with it. When I prune back again, I would like to replace with something stiffer with wider openings. Yours looks perfect. Info, please? =)

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Actually, that green you see is a cheap trellis from the Dollar General ($7) They are not going to be enough support in the future, but there is also a trellis skirting around the base of the deck where this is located. I have a Huldine growing horizontally along this skirting. With my inexperience, buying these shorter trellisses was probably one of my mistakes, but it's working for right now. I have my viticellas on taller black iron pyramids. They even were falling over the top before pruning.

I found the green light weight fencing material at Lowe's recently and will probably use that in some capacity in the future. They have a good variety of that wire. I've decided that this winter I'm going to do one of those birdhouses on top of landscape timbers with the wire around it. I'm going to paint it "FSU Seminole" colors and maybe put an FSU flag on it. Go Noles!

Baton Rouge, LA

Ah, well I meant the silver hardware wire that's in this photo:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6948340

It looks very sturdy.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Sorry, I'm in a hurry and didn't read well enough. That's a 16' cattle fence (?) sold at a feed and seed store. It can be cut if necessary. It can also be painted and attached to house for use as a trellis for roses or clems.

Delaware, OH

ooooh sharkey, you are near gator territory. my son in law and daughter and family are BIG gator fans.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, we even have Gator fans up here near Tally. If my husband were a Gator fan, we would just put up two birdhouses with different colors. The next best thing to family and Thanksgiving dinner in Nov. is the rival game. Without competition and rivalry, football would be very boring. Practically my entire family graduated from FSU, including myself Don't you just love my idea for a birdhouse?

Baton Rouge, LA

L - S - U - Tiiiiiiiiiiigers! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Delaware, OH

Love it sharkey

grand kids are here
from Florida right now and we painted birdhouses
today , but no gator themes in evidence.
Naturally I painted mine as vine covered cottage!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

That's what I call quality time with the grandkids. Enjoy every minute with them.

Delaware, OH

hectic week, barely coming up for air. yesterday fossil hunting near cinncinati in a fossilized river bed. we may go get more birdhouses today.
big rain all night , so clems are happy and i am too.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

FINALLY a bloom from Belle of Woking. This is a liner planted early spring in a large pot with multiblue. It did nothing for SO long. I can't believe it's finally blooming. There is only one other bud. I love the flower. I thought it was going to be silver/white, but I like the lavender.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

This is a Polish Spirit liner from Donahue's planted in the spring. It has been very, very slow to start, but finally seeing some blooms. I've decided I like this one as well. I understand that it can get very large. It's located on a fence with about 8 other liners where I am experimenting. I had cucumbers there last yr, but decided I could just buy them from the store. I DO have pepper plants in front of the clems, however. Something tells me that next year the peppers will also be replaced with clems.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

This is the same fence next to hubbie's "little shed" or workshop where my experimental liners are planted so that I could see which ones I like. HF Young is blooming again next to what Lowe's tagged as Warsaw Nike. I'm still not sure it's correct. HF Young has been a great performer for me so far.
I just noticed there are a few repeat Carnaby blooms in there as well.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2009 12:00 AM

Thumbnail by Sharkey

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.