Guava

Miami Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

June 23 2008 the tree is about 3 years old a friend keep it in a pot and them gave it to me, I plant it in the ground right of way .Huge mistake from a new gardener ,the guava was in full fruit season…

Thumbnail by SobeGardener

Pink Guava

Dec 18 2008 I think the change almost kill it. ….I keep having hope . Giving all my love and daily attention.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 1:24 AM

Today August 12 - 13 2009 The tree is in his prime time sweet ,pink beautiful baseball size guava.and blooming every day . I am a happy camper. Thank you Mother Earth ..!!!

Pink Guava Miami Beach,Fl

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow, those are really nice size! Miami has an ideal climate for Guava, I think.

Hesperia, CA

You were'nt kidding. Which one is the baseball? :)
Very Nice...

New update

Softball size Guava… pest free.. oh boy I ‘m heaven …
Keep on growing!..by the way also fert free.
Pure city water and ocean Breeze....

Hesperia, CA

Do you know what kind of Guava you have growing? By name so I can check the nurseries when I go.

Here is a little info/history of the florida Guava cultivar ..My is Ruby!

One of the most gregarious of fruit trees, the guava, Psidium guajava L., of the myrtle family (Myrtaceae), is almost universally known by its common English name or its equivalent in other languages. In Spanish, the tree is guayabo, or guayavo, the fruit guayaba or guyava. The French call it goyave or goyavier; the Dutch, guyaba, goeajaaba; the Surinamese, guave or goejaba; and the Portuguese, goiaba or goaibeira. Hawaiians call it guava or kuawa. In Guam it is abas. In Malaya, it is generally known either as guava or jambu batu, but has also numerous dialectal names as it does in India, tropical Africa and the Philippines where the corruption, bayabas, is often applied. Various tribal names–pichi, posh, enandi, etc.–are employed among the Indians of Mexico and Central and South America.
Cultivars

Formerly, round and pear-shaped guavas were considered separate species–P. pomiferum L. and P. pyriferum L.–but they are now recognized as mere variations. Small, sour guavas predominate in the wild and are valued for processing.

'Redland', the first named cultivar in Florida, was developed at the University of Florida Agricultural Research and Education Center, Homestead, and described in 1941. Very large, with little odor, white-fleshed and with relatively few seeds, it was at first considered promising but because of its excessively mild flavor, low ascorbic acid content, and susceptibility to algal spotting, it was abandoned in favor of better selections.

'Supreme' came next, of faint odor, thick, white flesh, relatively few, small seeds, high ascorbic acid content and ability to produce heavy crops over a period of 8 months from late fall to early spring.

'Red Indian', of strong odor, medium to large size, round but slightly flattened at the base and apex, yellow skin often with pink blush; with medium thick, red flesh of sweet flavor; numerous but small seeds; agreeable for eating fresh; fairly productive in fall and early winter.

'Ruby', with pungent odor, medium to large size; ovate; with thick, red flesh, sweet flavor, relatively few seeds. An excellent guava for eating fresh and for canning; fairly productive, mainly in fall and early winter.

'Blitch' (a seedling which originated in West Palm Beach and was planted at Homestead)–of strong odor, medium size, oval, with light-pink flesh, numerous, small seeds; tart, pleasant flavor; good for jelly.

'Patillo' (a seedling selection at DeLand propagated by a root sucker and from that by air-layer and planted at Homestead)–of very mild odor, medium size, ovate to obovate, with pink flesh, moderate number of small seeds; subacid, agreeable flavor; good for general cooking. (As grown in Hawaii it is highly acid and best used for processing).

'Miami Red' and 'Miami White', large, nearly odorless and thick-fleshed, were released by the University of Miami's Experimental Farm in 1954.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 10:47 AM

Hesperia, CA

Thanks...
Ruby...is what I want then...

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

A beautiful plant!
Did you move it from the original spot you planted it?

Yes, Summer of 2008 the tree is about 3 years old a friend keep it in a pot and them gave it to me, I plant it in the ground right of way .
The tree was grow from a cuttings in the are of The Redland, here in Dade county Florida.
So ,It my be around 5 -6 years old.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought my Ruby Supreme 10-30 this spring. I think 10-30 is a disease resistant variety.
It was pretty small but produced 2 flowers and gave one fruit.
After I picked the fruit, it produced 4 flowers and gave two fruit.
After I picked those, it produced 4 flowers and gave 4 fruit which are still growing.

Three fruiting seasons in 7-8 months.

It is in a 15 gallon pot and is a dark horse in the running for favorite potted plant.

Saint Petersburg, FL

I grew my guava from some seeds friends gave me as a gift. It's 2 1/2 now, and it fruited for the first time this summer.

I enjoy the taste of guava, but I really LOVE the smell of the ripe fruit.

I don't know why more people in the southern states don't grow them. They're reasonably care free.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Most Guavas are only hardy to around 26 degrees at best. There is the Strawberry Guava that is hardy down to 22 degrees but it is a very small fruit. Florida and South Texas are really the only place they can be put in the ground.

Saint Petersburg, FL

True, but even in Florida it's not commonly grown.

You drive everywhere here, and people plant Citrus, Bananas, Papaya, and Mangos, followed by Loquats, Avocados, and Dragon Fruit.

Rarely Guava though. In fact, I see Sugar Apples and Coconut Palms planted more commonly here.

Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Yes we have guava bushes in Central Florida. Fruit requires cross pollination by another variety. This maybe your strawberry guava or pineapple guava.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
Apopka, FL(Zone 10a)

Guava bush survived 22 degrees this past winter.

Thumbnail by ApopkaJohn
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

That is Strawberry Guava if I had to guess. Pineapple Guava isnt even a real Guava and stays green. They are hardy down to 10 degrees or more. Mine took 11F this winter.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I would absolutely LOVE to get some pineapple guava seeds! I have cattley (strawberry) guava and golden florida guava. I am also looking for lemon guava.
I can trade or pay costs. Please somebody?

This message was edited Oct 17, 2010 1:30 PM

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Good news. Pineapple Guava comes into season in the next few weeks. I suspect they will be in some of the grocery stores that carry exotic fruit like Whole Foods. Frankly, it would be easier to just buy one at a local nursery. You can get a 3 foot bush for 20 bucks. Remember that Pineapple Guava requires 50-200 hours of chill to produce fruit unlike real guavas.

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

jujube- I didn't know that chill thing about the pineapple guava. We do get a longer chill here in the 'Glades than most of S. FL but can't count on it. Thanks for the Whole Foods tip. I will be going to town soon and will look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.