deleted by poster

This message was edited May 27, 2010 7:29 AM

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted by poster

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice selection. I never knew there were so many somewhat strangely named varieties.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I think the Rubinszwerg is beautiful. Thanks for sharing these.

Are there any dwarf varieties of Helenium?

Port Washington, NY(Zone 7a)

I want a yard full of Heleniums. I love all the varieties you have, lincolnitess. I only have two so far.

This is 'Mardi Gras'

It flopped over this year. I'll have to remember to grow it up through a support next year.

Thumbnail by DyanesGarden

This one is about 4 ft tall. I got it for 75% off at an end of the season sale last year after it had been cut back. I really like it but it may have to be moved, it's a bit taller than I expected.

'Dancing Flames (Flammenspiel)'

See how it's a bit tall for this spot. It's beginning to lean out. I may move it this fall.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted by poster

This message was edited May 27, 2010 7:28 AM

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

All very beautiful. They make great late season flowers for me here. I love the two I do have.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted by poster

Are all of these 4 feet tall and floppy or do they come shorter?

This message was edited Aug 12, 2009 12:09 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted by poster

This message was edited May 27, 2010 7:30 AM

I've never seen these for sale around here. I wonder how well they'd grow here. I do like the way they look!

I tried winter sowing some Helenium "Lollipop" seeds. They germinated and grew some but have since disappeared. I don't know how well Helenium is supposed to grow in my zone, but these didn't do well at all.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Some of these were floppy last year (their first), but not this year. A few of these are more than six feet tall

Thumbnail by claypa

Lincolnitess, I remember that thread you mentioned in the first post. Bigcityal offered seeds last year, these are all from his seeds

Thumbnail by claypa

Al sent seeds of 'Moerheim Beauty', 'Mardi Gras', 'Chelsey', 'Double Trouble' (which I found out later is supposed to be sterile, and none germinated for me either) and I think 'Red and Gold'.

Thumbnail by claypa

This one looks like regular Helenium autumnale, maybe it reverted back to the species, but it's pretty tall too.

Thumbnail by claypa

These look like Moerheim Beauty but without the reflexed petals. I tried to keep the tags straight and they're a little hard to get to now, but I'm guessing Al's plants crossed quite a bit - they don't seem to fit the descriptions for height and colors, most are much taller.

Thumbnail by claypa

Last picture, this one looks almost just like the Gaillardia growing behind it - guess I have to move this one!

Thumbnail by claypa
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted by poster

This message was edited May 27, 2010 7:30 AM

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I received seeds in a trade and winter sowed them last year. I had blooms the first year. This year they are at least three feet tall. Mine have a big center. I started more using the winter sowing method this year, too. I save all the seeds to trade. Thanks for posting all the links and photos. I love this flower.

Don (DEMinPA)

Thumbnail by DEMinPA

Claypa, that is a beautiful display!

I have one plant in a bed that receives regular irrigation and the other in a bed that gets minimal watering and they seem to do just as well.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

deleted by poster

This message was edited May 27, 2010 7:27 AM

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

How long will it take for the plants from seed's To Bloom ??? I have a few spots that need filling in & I need tall plants & for fall
could you all maybe help with suggestion . can you plant the seed's right into the area you want them in the fall ???
sure appreciate any suggestion .

susie .

I planted them last spring in gallon jugs, then planted out the seedlings. Some did bloom last fall, here and there, but nothing like this year. I don't know why you couldn't direct-sow them, but most plants I like to start in containers. It just seems easier to water and keep an eye one them, then you can decide where they go.

Al said they don't have a high germination rate, but the seeds are tiny and don't require cold stratification.

Here's a picture from late October last year, this plant is one of the big tall ones in the first picture I posted.

Thumbnail by claypa
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dang, I had some 'Ruby Tuesday' seeds from Al too (or maybe they were a different one, but he knew I was looking for short and not yellow). It was my first year winter sowing and they germinated but i don't know what became of them.

Deejay, you really should check out the winter sowing forum! It's a great way to start seeds.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

ty all i have tried to winter sow seeds but with no luck in containers so i wanted to do direct sow just hope i don't pull it by mistake for weeds :) .

if anyone has any seeds this fall for postage I would love to give them a try .

susie

(Zone 7a)

Beautiful! Just absolutely Gorgeous...one of my favorite flowers.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for spotlighting this plant. I am not familiar with it. Does anyone know if they make good cut flowers? They certainly have tall enough stems. Something I may definitely have to try growing next year for summer color. I have not seen any for sale in the local nurseries here.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

claypa, that shot from the 12th with the sidewalk -- so gorgeous!! (the flowers :)
Do you grow anything else in that bed for earlier color or is it dedicated?
Really pretty.

Sure, there are lots of irises, daylilies, spring bulbs, and other perennials in there, behind the heleniums, to the left and uphill in that picture. You can see there are hostas growing between the heleniums - when the hostas come up in spring, the heleniums are still pretty small.

I definitely didn't anticipate these getting all tall as they did, but it's working out fine - now I can't see the worn out daylilies behind them!

This is May 9th, taken from the other end of the sidewalk. The heleniums are there, just past the bigger hosta in the middle, near the hose

Thumbnail by claypa
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow. A beautiful garden. It's so funny to me to see how folks further north can grow hosta in the same bed as sun perennials. Most Hosta FRY down here unless they have AT LEAST afternoon shade.

You really have a green thumb claypa.

Thanks! Those hostas fry too, I just don't plant any nice ones in that sunnier area - the shaded area stops around that big hosta. There's a big pine to the right of that last picture.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Two plants behind (Sahin's Early Flowerer)
and two in front (Mardi Gras)

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.