Very spur of the moment Mini Round-Up!

Jacksonville, FL

Lizette, Toy747, is planning to visit Sunday August 16th with DH and will be picking up her rain barrel. If anyone would like to come visit with her while she is here or meet her for the first time, you are invited to this spur of the moment function!! The event will begin around noon and I will have some snacks available. Please post if you may be able to attend. Lizette does not have the opportunity to get up this way that often but I know she would love to see many of you and meet new gardeners.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I may be able too. Hope to anyways.

Darla

Jacksonville, FL

Darla--I hope you can make it!

What time is going to be Linda?

Darla

Jacksonville, FL

Around Noon oe 1 pm. Lizette should be arriving by or before 1 -- Hope others can join us as well

I have it marked on my calender

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sounds great! I will plan to arrive around 10 AM so that I might be on time for 1 PM. LOL

Linda, I will try to get some Sweet Flowering Almond (Aloysia virgata) started and also bring along the now very well rooted Musical Note Plant, which was Clerodendrum incisum when you got it from your neighbor about a year ago, but now seems to have been reclassified as Rotheca incisa. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67699/ Darn botanists and taxonomists! Who amongst us can possibly keep up with their wishy-washy designations that change from day to day?! LOL

Jeremy

Hi, Linda. You might also post your message in the NE Florida Gardening Brigade thread so that more local DGers might see it.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy. If you are starting some Sweet Flowering Almond make 2 ok! I've been looking for one. :)

Darla

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Linda, Thanks so much for pulling this together! I can't wait to see everyone again and meet some new people as well. I try will bring some plants with me from down here. I just don't know if they will survive the road trip.
See you all on Sunday!
Lizette

Hi ... I'm gonna try to come ... depends on the hubby & his work ...
If I do come what kind of plants do I bring ... We'll be on the motorcycle ... if we can make it ... :D So far its a yes ... :D

Linda I can bring your X Sag ... EE ... if anyone else wants one ... let me know ... They'll be small ones ... I don't know what else to bring since no one seems to have a want list ... lol :D :D & the ones who do have one ... I don't have anything they want ... : / **pouts**

Brandy

Hi Lizette ... nice to pre-meet you ... lol :D

Jacksonville, FL

Lizette--looking forward to seeing you again!! I still have to get the other hose bib put on but we will get that done for you Sunday.

If anyone is looking for plants in particular, go ahead and post your wants--possibly someone will have what you are looking for.

Orlando, FL

hi all,
i am fairly new to davesgarden, unfortenately i will not be able to attend, my son has just started football and his practices are very important he has to get ready for his jamboree game next week
i thank you for the invite, maybe at another time.
debi

Jeremy's want list:

Anything that will grow in Zone 8b/9a that I don't already have. LOL

Does anyone want purple stemmed elephant ears? They are solid green leaves with purple stems and don't grow very large in the partial shade where I am growing them (about 30 inches max.), but they might grow taller with more sun. I'm not sure of the genus/species since my plant tags and my memory faded, but they really reproduced rapidly last year by spreading from the root system. I have a few dozen of them in a bed about 12 ft x 2 ft.

Jeremy

Sorry you can't join us, Debi. It would be great to meet you and I hope you can make a future get together!

Jeremy

Jeremy- I would love to have one or 2 :D

Hey Debi, I'm sorry you can't make it :D Maybe the next one :D

Does anyone want any of the Xanthosoma sagittifolium -EE's??

Orlando, FL

hi all
i hope to make the next one it really sounds like you have alot of fun
i love to meet new gardeners and make new friends. looking forward to the next one
thanks again
debi

I'm gonna try to make this one. Its raining now so not sure what all I will have to bring but most will be EEs. Have plenty of Colocasia Coffee cups I can bring. C. Elepaio, C. Chicago Harlequin, C. Black Stem (Jeremy I think this is the one you have) Alocasia Borneo Giant, A. Black stem etc. I also have Tetrapanax and a banana or two off the top of my head. What is the address again? Linwood

Looks like its gonna be an EE swap ... lol :D

Linwood is there anything you are looking for?

Brandy

Maybe a start of that Magilla Perilla. I saw that about a year ago at a nursery and really liked it. Looked just like coleus.....

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Awwwwwww! I wanna come too!

So sorry we live so far apart. Lizette and Tony are such great people! I've had the pleasure of meeting them a couple of times. Hope you all have a great get-together!

Kat

Grubworm - A Colocasia 'Borneo Giant' would be really super!

I'll take the liberty of adding Linda's address here since it was previously posted in another get-together at her house. I now know how to get there but don't know where I'm going until I look up the address. LOL

Quoting:
For those coming to the get-together the address is 8917 Noroad--Lot 32. If you need more info, just send me a d-mail.

I met a great couple in Green Cove Springs today when I went down to do a garden and groundcover consultation for them. If you don't mind, Linda, I will let them know the details of your get-together. I mentioned it to them and they seemed very interested if the timing works out with their church attendance this Sunday. They are plant addicts in waiting. LOL I'm sure we can have them completely immersed in devoting their lives to growing greenery by the time the get-together on Sunday is over. LOL

What a STORM this afternoon!! Driving back from GCS to Jacksonville, I sometimes hit accumulated water on the road that was about a foot deep and I was concerned the Mustang engine was going to stall from the flood. And on the 2 lane road of CR 209, when a vehicle went by on the other side of the road, it would create such a splashing wake about 6 ft high that I couldn't see anything but a wall of water for 2 or 3 seconds. Not very comfortable! I made it home without incident, fortunately. I've driven through heavy rain plenty of times in the past, but nothing like the deluge today! When I got home, I could see it rained at my house, but not as hard as the storm further south.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL

Linwood--I am so glad you can make it and meet some of the local gardeners. I look forward to meeting you as well! I have started an EE garden and would love to try the Harlequin or any others I don't have. Should turn out to be a great day weather-wise.
Jeremy--definitely let them know the detail--would love for them to join us if possible. We got rain later in the day yesterday when I got home and was going to unload some flagstone. Never got that task done so will do that today along with a dozen or so other tasks.
Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

Linda

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi All:

I'm coming and can bring Galangal ginger- http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60085/ the best Hummingbird plant in the world. It's not at all flashy but it is very nectary. I know I also have Blackberry Lily seeds http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/41/ somewhere but w/ some changes in my life, have no expectation of finding them in time for this. Blackberry lily starts blooming as the Galangal ginger fades out.
I also have Thai Lemon Grass. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1025470/. I got my original starts from
Sidney and have plenty to share. This is a great culinary plant. I'll be able to dig some up for folks if I get a list of wants.

Maggie

Hi, Maggie. Very glad you can make it! You will need to give me some tips on the Galangal ginger. I've tried it a few times and don't seem to have had any success, or else it is mixed in with the ginger jungle and I don't where it is.

We have one kitty, Indy, remaining if anyone wants to adopt a cutie. He's about 11 weeks old, all black except for a few short hairs beneath his chin. I can bring him along Sunday if anyone wants to give him a good home.

Looking forward to seeing evyerone!

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Jeremy,

I don't have any special tips. It seems to be relatively heat/sun tolerant. It grows well on the S Side of my screen porch which you have seen. It gets lots of mid-late afternoon HOT sun. The mitigating factors I see are that the planting area is ~6" below the deck so the roots are shaded by the deck, everything has filled in so the base is cool, and lastly, the roof drips onto the general area so it gets more water than the plants out in the open. I think Mandarin has been getting more rain than many of the other areas in Jax. The soil in that area was originally augmented w/ tons of compost and horse poop.
I'm going to move some out front where they will get less native water and more sun. I'll see how that goes. Neighbors have lots of gingers in their yard that are migrating to ours. There is a lot of overhead shade from high trees in the PM but lots of slanted PM light from the S. Make your own conclusions.
RE: Not knowing where it is. It's not a flashy plant and it only blooms for 2-3 months. I think it's easy to lose in a jungle.

FYI: I also have lots of starts of BEAUTIFUL BLUE Pea Vine. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/528/ This is a host plant for Long Tailed Skippers. In addition to the Skippers liking it, it is a nice plant w/ beautiful true blue flowers.
http://tinyurl.com/ou6mb6
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1922
I also have lots of Black & Blue Salvia. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54031/
It is a spreading plant in addition to making seeds. It is not aggressive but it does spread enough to fill in nicely as well as to share w/ friends. After 3 years, this is the first year I've felt the need to really trim it back and share w/ folks. I had enough to share last year but this year I must cut it back. Hope that gives you an idea of how fast/slow it spreads.
I have some of this http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55061/ that I can bring.
I have http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1837/ This spreads ALMOST aggressively by the roots/?rhizomes. B'Fies love it. Stalks are brittle and easy to cut back. Hummers like it too but not an all time favorite.

JEREMY Please check D-Mail.

Maggie

Maggie is there anything your looking for?

I don't have any lilies except Crinum's I can share & it seems most people have these already also ... they are the powellii - starts out a dark pink/fuschia then turns a pale white.

Wow I need to start looking into the rare and exotic web sites and trades ... lol ...

It seems as though everyone is bringing whats on my want list ... lol ... I have no clue still to what anyone wants ... Except Linwood & Linda ...

Linwood - I have your Perilla set aside its in a tiny planter but its about 12" tall...

Dear bbgardens-

I have FAR MORE plants than I know what to do with. Also, I will be very busy on a new project in the upcoming weeks so will have no time for new plants. thank you very much anyway.I will say we just got a GINORMOUS strawberry pot- almost as big as I am. Any ideas for drapey plants?

Did you want something I have?PLMK so I don't load the car w/ more than will be accepted.
I also have a southern iris- it's a passalong plant that I have plenty of and need to thin. anyyone want some? It's one of those plants that blooms for a day only.

More as I figure out what I have and can dig in a day.
Maggie

I'll take one of everything please ... lol ... I'd like a ginger and a few blackberry seeds ... I'd love some iris also. I do love salvias ... but I just won't have too much room on the motorcycle saddle bags ... But I'd love a few if they are around 10" or smaller ...

My neigbor just brought over a bunch of teeny tiny gloriosa lily babies http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/607/
... just recently sprouted. she told me that the foliage will die back off of the tiny bulbs when planted. They are pretty small. Ther is probably about 20 of them. I haven't gone through them all yet. I'm going to bring these and maybe a few other things from around the yard. I'll look around in the morning to see what all I can bring :D
I may also have a few agapanthus 'Elaine' bebies also... they have dark purple flower. I know its a newer breed of agapanthus ... only been on the market a few years. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/167077/

If anyone is interested in coleus ... look on this link on its my marketplace ad ... but If anyone wants any of these let me know :D http://davesgarden.com/products/market/view/7035/
I'll bring what you all would like ... :D

I love swaping/trading&giving away plants ... I've felt weird selling them.

But I'll load up the saddle bags up ... :D

Brandy

Hey Maggie,
How about sun rose? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53485/
I have some in a big broken planter that a friend in Brandon, Fl sent me ... Also some in a hanging basket ... I have to say ... I absolutly love this plant!! Drought tolerant butterflies won't leave them alone ... I even saw a hummingbird in the ones in the hanging basket ones. easy to propgate ... especially by cuttings. They can grow long. the one in the hanging basket is at least 3 foot long. Drought tolerant ... I also have a few of the moss rose and purslane mixed in the broken planter ... or even some nasturtium. Those are great hang over plants ...and edible ... although I don't like the taste of the leaves & flowers. Picture of the sunrose below ...

Thumbnail by bsgardens

Linda I sent you a d-mail.

I will really try hard to be there tomorrow. I want have any plants, just me. LOL

Sandy/wren

I will take any salvias avialable. I'm trying to fill in the front curb garden with perennials other than weeds. LOL Maggie - some blue pea plant would be wonderful. Sandy gave me a big pot of it last year, but it doesn't seem to have survived the freezes and I could never catch it with ripe seed to save. Brandy - a few strands of the sun rose would be terrific! I can add it to my cacti/succulent garden which is somehow surviving all the rain. I have quite a few succulent plants that I can divide up.
Agapanthus 'Elaine' would be wonderful. I have one dark blue one that oddly flowers in the fall rather than earlier in the year, but I don't know the variety and it has thus far remained a solitary plant.

I'd better go start gathering up plants for tomorrow!

Jeremy

I'd love to have a few Iris's. I don't know what I'm bringing as I haven't had anything in the ground long enough to share. But I'll bring what I have and share with Y'all.

Darla

Darla is there any plants you are looking for?

Brandy

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

kat - maybe you can make it tot he one Im planning on hosting in October? Im kinda halfway between Orlando and Jax.. so maybe .

Jeremy said he'd be bringing me a Sweet Almond, and Cherokee rose cuttings after that I'm not particular! lol I have an addiction and I'll try most stuff as long as I have someplace to put it. lol

Darla

LOl I know whatcha mean Darla ... I'm glad no one has come up with a plant -a-holics annyomance association yet ... lol ... My hubby would have me going ... lol ...I'm bring a variety ... trying to bring enough for everyone ... :D & or at least a variety :D

Jacksonville, FL

I would like to say a BIG Thank you to all that came to this extremely last minute get-together! I really had a great time and thank all that brought plants to share and spent some quality "gardening talk" time
Linwood--glad you made it and got to meet our group and thank you for my EE additions. And also to Brandy and Stu for getting their feet wet with our group and joining us for our little get together. Now you are no longer newbies to the group!!

Lizette and Tony---Hope you have a safe trip back and be sure to post pictures!! It was so good to see you again!

Darla, Sandy, Jeremy, and Maggie--Thank you! Always enjoy seeing every one of you. Maybe next time I can plan ahead a little better.

Hope everyone enjoyed today as much as I did!!

Linda

I had a great time Linda! I left there with more plants than I came with.

Darla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.