My new Zamias

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

My friend owns a tree service, and I bought a couple hundred 3 gallon pots from him, I noticed in his storage yard, up against the fence, under the trees, in the weeds, were a dozen or so Zamias, both Cardboard palms, (Zamia furfuracea), and Coontie palms, (Zamia integrifolia), he had sent one of his boys with me to help gather up all the pots, most of which still had the remnants of once living plants, I specifically told the young man, don't up end anything still alive, that I don't need the pots that bad, well a few weeks went by, and I started thinking about the stranded cycads up against the fence in the high weeds, and for three days the old song " Rescue Me " kept playing in my head, as I constantly kept thinking about those Zamias, of which I always wanted, so yesterday afternoon I drove by his house, here in Oak Hill, and asked him about them, he said they had been sitting there for two winters now, and if I really wanted them, I could have the whole lot for 10.00, I said, sounds like a deal, so I went by his storage yard, and started looking around, and three of the Coonties the boy had up ended, for the sake of the 3 gallon pots, to give me, I was broken hearted, at first, but to my amazement, they were growing 180 degrees all curled up with no pot upside down, so I gathered them up, and cleaned, and trimmed, and re-potted them all up, so here's a few photos of the ones that are flowering, no care for two years, does anyone know how you tell male from female, thanks, Ed

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by edric
noonamah, Australia

I've got a couple of large clumps of furfuracea which only ever get cones like the ones in your photos. Always assumed they were male cones although I've never examined them closely.

The PACSOA site has images of male cones of integrifolia:

www.pacsoa.org.au/cycads/Zamia/integrifolia.html

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks, someone on palmtalk said the furfuracae were all male, and the integrefolia was a female, Ed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.