I've got clem blooms (beginner's glee!!!)

Baton Rouge, LA

Alrighty, well a few more have bloomed. It's nice to verify I've planted what I thought I purchased.

Edit: This is Prince Charles

This message was edited Aug 6, 2009 10:11 AM

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

Here's Duchess of Edinburgh:

Baton Rouge, LA

Here's MultiBlue:

Baton Rouge, LA

Crystal Fountain:

Baton Rouge, LA

Blue Light:

Baton Rouge, LA

Piilu:

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 4:07 PM

Baton Rouge, LA

It's fun to have several in bloom at one time! Thanks for all the help and advice many of you have given me over this summer. Evey =)

Delaware, OH

blissful, beautiful all of them. however that is not proteus. proteus can bloom single this time of year, but the sepals are shaped and colored differently.

have some ideas what it could be, but you will want to look at shipping records and see if you have switched a label first.
it is a beaut however!

Delaware, OH

it looks like a great assortment and i am green with envy as not too much blooming here right now. they look so fresh and pretty!

Baton Rouge, LA

CG, which do you think it could be? I did wonder if it was correct because the tag looked a bit different, but as the color matched the tag, I thought perhaps it was a maturity issue. It's very possible that this tag was switched... the clem was in the Donahue's shipment that was so disheveled when it arrived. I've checked the clems planted on either side of this one and they both bloomed true. I purchased so many clems from Donahue's, so I'm at a loss about what it should be tagged. Perhaps it is Louise Rowe? I only pray it's a Group 2, as I had intended the entire fenceline to be exclusively Group 2's.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 4:07 PM

Delaware, OH

it looks like my dominika, which is a p group 3. i am not sure if donahues even carries this one however.
if it is dominika you will have a better clem in your area than proteus. proteus really needs a hard winter to flourish and bloom fully double on old wood. it can live in your area, but perhaps not to full potential? that is an amazing duchess bloom you have there however. how big was it when you planted it and was there old wood that you left on that produced this double bloom?

Baton Rouge, LA

It looks like Donahue's does not carry Dominika. I am going to send the photo to them and ask what they sent me. It doesn't really look like any photos on COTW for Louise Rowe, but it does look like the photo that Donahue's has posted for Louise... so perhaps that is it. I hope not, as the notes on COTW for Louise say she works best in partial shade. I have the plant that was tagged Louise planted in partial shade, so... UGH!

Duchess of Edinburgh came from Brushwood. All of my clems were planted late this spring, so that is first year's growth that produced that bloom. Crazy, yes?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They are all so lovely!

Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks, Pirl. It's next to impossible to find clems around here; I'm thrilled that they are doing so well!

Do you have a list for the next ones you'll be buying, Evey?

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Evey, I'm so glad you posted these photos. They are so beautiful and I especially love the Duchess. For some reason, the white clems are among my favorite. I may add that one to my growing wish list. I remember when you received that large shipment that was in such a mess. I'm glad you've been rewarded with these blooms.

Baton Rouge, LA

Sharkey, I've been meaning to write back with dmail. I was trying to wait until my latest clem buds opened so I could send lots of photos!

Pirl, I just planted 75 clem cultivars in late spring, so I think I'll give these a few years to mature before I decide on adding more! I tend to jump in hard and fast trying all the "might perform well in Louisiana heat and humidity" cultivars from the get-go! If I start with just a few of something to see how it will perform, and then give it ample time to get acclimated, I could spend the rest of my life looking for the "right" clem or iris or daylily or rose or (fill in the blank here!) for my area. Here's a link to what's been planted so far:

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/BlissfulGarden/75672/name2/

Regarding my NOID, I'm glad that I started allowing the clems to bloom now instead of continuing to pinch off the buds. I'd hate for my NOID to develop really great roots and then rip it out to put it with the Group 3s. Kathy from Donahue's wrote back. She is certain that my clem labeled 'Proteus' is in fact 'Prince Charles'. Looking at the photos on COTW and in DG Plant Files, I agree. These clems are grown next to each other at Donahue's, so a mistake was probably made in originally placing the tags at propagation. Unfortunately, Prince Charles is a Group 3, so I should move it. It's my best performer so far... I hate to tempt fate by digging it up! Donahue's is sending me a 'Proteus' now though, and it would be best placed in that spot on the fenceline.

Only 75? Good grief, Evey, don't ever be tempted to try the Maine waters in summer!

Delaware, OH

prince charles is a prince of a clem, not the p group you wanted but it is a great clem. here is mine. it was initially names modesta when developed, then the name changed.
many of the blooms with have more sepals when it is more established. i was thinking of dominka as mine is first year and bloomed with only 4 sepals on each bloom, as i think your photo showed.

you will love prince charles. it is a must.

also blissful, i agree, step back and get those plants in perfect care , then build collection more. i took a time out about 2 years ago and added no plants for a year or more as i was just nailing the care and routine and wanted to feel like i was ready for more. so can relate as you have built your collection fast, which you will never regret as they will mature and you will be in nirvana with them faster.

donahues had great service level.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Baton Rouge, LA

It looks like you have Charles and Diana planted together. Is there also a Camilla clem (*smirk*)?

I've been extremely pleased with Donahue's. Even the one plant I thought I lost has come back. I left it planted just to make sure when it disappeared, and it's rewarded me. So, 100% survival... not bad at all considering how many liner plants I started with and our stressful weather. I am happy with the larger plants I purchased as well, but I must say at this point that my liners are for the most part outperforming my larger plants. The only exception to that is the few clems I could find locally. I'm wondering if perhaps the greenhouse start for the Donahue's plants better prepared them for our heat and humidity, whereas many of the larger clems I purchased were grown in northern outdoor climates. They may be wishing for their cooler weather again!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Evie, may I ask are those pictures of your clematis (all of them) current? By Jorge! I'm stunned! My clematis blooms season is well behind me after the month of June or there about. Currently I've but two blooms, and they're rebloomers since we've some hint of autumn coming in our hot humid Southern weather.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Baton Rouge, LA

Lily, yes, all of the ones pictured in this thread are photos I just took. They are all still in bloom. I also have buds on some of the plants that haven't fully opened yet. I think they are so late because they are all new plants. I've been pinching off buds to encourage roots since they were planted, but finally decided to let them bloom so I could verify the cultivars. So far, only one is mislabeled, but I didn't want them to be in the ground for a full year before I was sure what was planted!

Delaware, OH

blissful, there is a kamilla!

fyi that is etoile rose with it. it is lighter pink with more of a white margin than diana. but very similar both texensis. i do now have diana in the same row but not next to charles.

i have never had a liner out perform ssv clem. i probably have had a good liner outperform a local gallon. that is the most dramatic statement i can make. and i have put in maybe 50 ssv clems. and maybe 100 liners over 8 years. but local clems can be recently potted up from liners, or not used to the germs they will encounter, or neglected and root bound. i have a root bound warsaw nike in the ground form a local gallon that has not grown AT ALL in 3 months. the place i get them mishandles them and they are very root bound, over fed and treated with a lot of fungicide.

the warm weather may make a greenhouse plant do better in your greenhouse kind of climate, you are getting expereince with the different plants and sources fast and are are expert on your area. a clem raised in a cold greenhouse not cold enough to harm it , but cold enough to give it a fully dormant period is the strongest clem. transition from greenhouse to most gardens can be stressful, not to mention that in warm greenhouses fungicide is usually in the water all the time or very very often. that protection lasts about 3 weeks when it gets to the real world garden. that is why many clems die back a little while they are getting used to germs(or bacteria or microbes or whatever you call it), or new germs. most of them do get used to them, but it can take awhile.

clearly the extra hot humid climate has challenges and strengths that need to be taken into consideration like every climate for growing success and handling. glad you are sharing your expereinces with us.

ps sometimes the plants donahues ships are radically different in size than other times, guess this depends on how long they are had the stock. i think this is true to a certain extent with everyone, but i did notice the donahues liners were good sized this year! wish they carried a bigger selection!

Delaware, OH

so blissful by that pinching you delayed bloom time which can be done with larger plants too if you want it to bloom later.
best practice advice is to pinch several times but stop before any flower bud formation. plant can get a mixed signal when flower buds are pinched back. but clearly it has had a good result for you in establishing the plants blissful!

are you going to move the prince charles because it is a p3?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I am impressed with all those blooming vines.Wow! Hard to believe they were planted in the spring. Gives me hope for some of my plants. I have cut mine back several times( planted in the spring) so maybe I will let them grow out now. I have some on a south wall but with taller plant protection. I have one in the sun in the west that needs almost daily watering. Do you water daily?

I like your journal list. I tried to start one but couldn't get it going.It is a good way to keep track. I only have about 20, so I think I am able to remember....unlikely haha, but atleast I have markers with some info on the back. But can see it would be better to have an indoor list to mull over.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

Could you please describe the term liner? If I go to Lowe's and buy a plant in a gallon pot, is that a liner. What about gallon pots from nurseries. Or, is the bag of 5 little roots from Costco liners? Confused.

Baton Rouge, LA

A liner plant is referring to a new start... one that is typically in a 4" x 4" inch container or perhaps even smaller. A gallon pot would be considered fully rooted for commercial sale and is a good choice if you can find them.

Delaware, OH

think about defining these terms from size of root vs container. sometimes small roots, "liner"size are planted out in gallons and put up for sale immediately. these are still what the trade would call liners in size as they have not yet grown into the gallon pot.
you can tell by seeing roots at the bottom of the gallon, or by the relative weight of the gallon. water weighs more than roots, so after watering the fully rooted gallon is much lighter than the one with a small root in it. you can also slide the pot off from the plant and check the root size in most nurserys if you are so inclined. when the roots are wrapped around in a circular pattern, densely is a sign that the plant is root bound and really needs out of that pot vs growing wider and longer when space does not permit this.

and you guys have all seen the difference there can be in the root size of liner size plants. from the heronswood embryos that sharkey and i got, (i am sure others did too) these were sold as "bare root" to ones bursting out of the small pots.

many clem experts, have gone on record that inexperienced folks buying the liner size plants are one reason clems are not as popular as roses, due to the high failure rate if put right into the ground and not cared for properly.

we were posting about this recently as we all use the terms liner and gallon (and a gallon pot is not a gallon, it is a # 1 in the trade i think) without a common size standard for the root of the plant.

mary, you may have already read this or gathered it for the threads and postings, but many clemmer sher eon the forum take the bare root or liner size plant and grow them in the gallon pot until they are more substantial before they put them right out in the garden and maybe better able to establish in those conditions , there by giving a higher survival and satisfaction rate.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Mary, I bought a box from Sam's this spring containing 4 or 5 bareroot Jackmanni's just to see what I could do with them. I put them in small pots and they have now grown to what I refer to as liners. Some even have about a ft of growth, but I keep them pruned way back. They may not even be ready to plant in the ground next spring.

The plants I get from our Lowe's are in 4-inch pots and I call them liners. I've never seen one-gallon clems at a Lowe's in our area. With a couple of exceptions, I put these liners in one-gallon nursery pots with good soil and they are doing great. I hope that by October some will have roots that fill the pots and some will be planted then. However, if the roots are not large enough, I will wait until next spring. I would call those from Costco in the bag bareroots, which, in my opinion, should be avoided unless you just like the challenge of growing things "from scratch" and have the patience and time to do so. I enjoy it, but also like well-rooted gallons to give me results sooner.

I have clems in all stages in my little makeshift nursery in the back yard. (wooden benches on concrete blocks in the sun with a potting table) It gives me a chance to do some experimenting with no harm done. What I don't want is to receive another embryo in the mail when I think I'm going to receive a liner.

It's amazing how quickly you can see results when you take a rootbound, neglected clem out of a gallon, prune it severely, put it in a larger container or ground, give it good soil, fertilizer, water. I'm seeing results in a week's time with some I recently acquired at a bargain you wouldn't believe. I love seeing those little green signs of life return as new leaf buds form.

Delaware, OH

Sharkey agree with everything in your post. Good clarity.
In my area lowes sells gallons more often than liner size.
The gallons are usually heavy with Small roots and frequently mislabeled however.
I bought a gallon "starburst" a few weeks ago. Last year I bought mikelite and minneselik and both were pink champagne!! Hoping starburst is Starburstand I am with you mo more embryos for me. Might feel diff If I were not in a hard winer area. I am going to begin some seed propagation however.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Interesting reading here folks.

Keep it up.

Janet

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I know they may be classified as a cross between a liner and a gallon, but Fred Meyer's brought in a whole bunch of plants for $4.99. I bought Arabella and Piliuu. They had Multiblue, Rouge Cardinal, Arabella and Piliuu. They were all gone in 2 days. More addicts in the making!!

Delaware, OH

mm, you will love arabella and piilu. theyare both amazing clems.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Mary, I would have bought them, too. I never see those varieties here.

Baton Rouge, LA

LOL, Sharkey, we had a total of 6 types of clems available locally... and that was scouring ALL of the garden centers and box stores in Baton Rouge, Gonzales, Denham Springs, Hammond, Walker, etc., etc., etc. But, to be honest, I feel better ordering from a dedicated clem grower because I know the chances of getting the correct cultivar are so much better this way. I would be very frustrated if I had planted out all of my gardens and then all the vines bloomed in chaos!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I agree, BG. I'm keeping up with how many incorrectly tagged liners I bought from Lowe's. Some are nice surprises, others are disappointments. One was tagged Nelly Moser and turned out to be HF Young, which I have learned to love. But, they are not in the ground yet, thank goodness.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Isn't it amazing how many miss tagged plants there are at our local garden center... To me this will be the kiss of death should I be in the garden center retail business...

I have several other plants that were missed marked, and thankfully the plants they turned out too be were ones I've grown to love...

Janet

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I went to Home Depot today. They brought in about 50 new clems for $10.96. Not one of them were correctly marked. The obvious Jackmanni ( blooming in purple) had Patricia Ann Fretwell or Fireworks tags. Not even close! I spoke to the people working there and they could care less. I keep watching for a good sale!

Delaware, OH

buyer beware.
but if the price is low enough, (when they close these out), and you want to grow them out and nurture them into a viable plant, you can use duplicates to clems you already have to boost the display in that planting with another hole. just don't plant them till you know what they are. but they probably need to be grown out for awhile anyway.

here in my area, there are fewer clems for sale than ever...one of the decent sources that used to carry pot pound, fully rooted gallons (usually at least 8 sometime 15 types) now has 1 or 2 types.
when i have checked home depot this year when i am there to pick up something else, they have not had any. except for the "starburst" i bought at loews few months ago, the local pickings have been slim.
a better nursery did have a selection of about 5 types (all dupes for me) and was doing some wheeling and dealing.....guess the message here is you need to check everywhere as often as you can if you want to buy local.

Jetersville, VA

Hi folks ! Last week a friend and I were exploring a brand new trail opened up for hikers, bikers and horses in South central Virginia (7b). We hiked for approximately 6 miles and observed along the pathway some very delicate, blue flowers growing on both sides of the trail. I did not have a key, but suspected that they might belong to a Clematis genus.

My main interest is flowers that attract hummingbirds along the migration route. I just published a new book HUMMINGBIRDS AND FLOWERS THEY LOVE. I am grateful that it has earned an Audubon endorsement, however I anticipate that I will be embarrassed sooner or later by having left out a few flowers. I did not see any pollinators visiting these except a few bumblebees. Hummers ignored them. The flowers were growing close to the ground and supported by a long network of vines. Can one of you Clem gurus come to my aid and identify this sucker?

Thumbnail by HBJoe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.